Private Taxi and Private Water Taxi Questions

Travel discussion for St. John
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Private Taxi and Private Water Taxi Questions

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

We will be leaving for STJ with our four kids at the end of July. We've used Freddie's private taxi service before but, I know he doesn't work on Saturdays and we are traveling Saturday to Saturday (usually he farms out the work and we've had both good and bad experiences with this). Anyway, two questions:
1.) Who have you all used and really, really liked for private taxi service from the airport to Red Hook?
2.) Who have you all used and really, really liked for private water taxi service?
3.) I lied, there are three questions. What do these services cost?
4.) Okay, four questions. What are the contact numbers/websites for your favorites?

Thank you all!

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)
starfish

Post by starfish »

Hi, Marcia, don't worry all will turn out. I just posted as we are just back and I would recommend the Dohm's service for the water taxi and Wheatley's for land taxi. Christopher taxi just talked the whole time on his cell phone and ignored us (plus making me feel not as safe!). The fee was $100 each way for the water taxi and $75 for the land taxi. The water taxi does take off from a different dock than the ferry where there aren't taxis just waiting. It was worth it to us this time to maximize the amount of time on the island and eliminate the worry of catching the ferry and any hassles.
mark & susan

Post by mark & susan »

Well I could not let this one lie. We think Chris runs a great service, and he has received a number of positive review here. He does at times (using Bluetooth) communicate with other taxi's but I never felt less than confident in his driving/

He's just a great guy, clean van, good music at a reasonable level. Very professional. One year he had a conflict on our return, his wife picked us up in her F150? that was spotless - had a nice chat.

To us starting a vacation, or ending for that matter, crammed in a van with 10 people, is a non-starter.
starfish

Post by starfish »

I will say Chris's van was clean and he was where he was supposed to be at the appropriate times. He said his cousin was in town and talked on his phone the entire way from the airport to the dock. Then, coming back, he probably talked half the time on his phone. He seemed like a nice guy, just his focus was elsewhere.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I'm just back from St John very early this morning. We took Dohm's and Christopher Taxi on the way there and St John Ferry Service and Christopher Taxi on the way back. I am VERY pleased with all the services. Chris is a very nice man and was very helpful. He did talk a lot on his phone but he's also the boss of his business and he has several vans and drivers. It sounded like he was running his business on the phone while he talked. I highly recommend him and all the private ferry services. There's no stress!! They help you with your bags and make it all very easy.
Splasher54

Post by Splasher54 »

We have used Dohm's and Christopher's both years that we have gone to St. John. Dohm's has always been great, on time, service great. The first year Christopher's was great. Right there at the airport, clean van, very personable, went above and beyond service wise. When I booked our January trip in August, I got right on the phone and email and called to reserve Christopher. We were greeted at the airport by someone else who he must have sent. We saw him at the airport, said hi and he assured us he would see us for our trip back. The trip to Dohm's was a nice van, air conditioned friendly driver. On our way home we got off the ferry and there was an open air taxi, uncomfortable, lots of fumes, driver was friendly but not too safe. If I use Christopher again, I will do so only with a guarantee that he will be driving us.
Bug

Post by Bug »

We have used the same private taxi for many years now and just love him!!! His name is Bazile. I know that several others on the forum have used him as well. We call him about a week before we leave, give him our flight info and he is always there waiting with a big smile. If you would like his number PM me and I will get it for you.

XOXO
Bug
Verve

Post by Verve »

I'd suggest St. John Shuttle for your water taxi service. They pick up at the same dock as Dohm's.

They're a St. John business and I like to support them.

4 people to red hook is $90.

When Dohm's overbooks they call STJ Shuttle for the overflow anyway.

Dohm's operates 3 boats and STJ Shuttle operates 2.

www.stjohnshuttle.com
340-774-BOAT

I'd also recommend Chris's taxi. Great guy.
hardonyou

Post by hardonyou »

Dohms, and Christopher taxi are definitely worth it. Honestly, this is our 3rd trip to STJ the first year we got our own taxi and took the ferry. I have to say it was my least favorite part of the journey. Chris is very nice, I could careless if he is on the phone, he is always polite and a very attentive driver. The water taxi vs. the ferry, unless there is a money issue for you, TAKE THE WATER TAXI!!!!!!!!!!!

We leave in 12 days I cannot stand myself at this point.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Thank you all for your input and advice. I have emailed Dohm's. Generally, it's not a big deal for me and Pete to do the standard taxis and ferry; we don't bring much and we just don't care that much how long it takes to get to the ferry. With the four kids, it's just different. Any way we can make the dreaded travel days easier, we will do. For example: a round trip limo from our house to the airport 2 1/2 hours away. It's not even that much more $ when you factor in at least one over night hotel stay with two rooms (park and fly), gas for two cars (we don't have one that will fit all of us), tolls, etc...

So, here's gonna be the travel days:
Up at 2:30 am, limo arrives at 3:00 to pick us up.
Fly non-stop to STT from ORD.
Private taxi to Private Water Taxi.
Arrive STJ, get asprin from Ruth (thank you for last time Ruth!)
Pick up car at Conrad's.
Pick up some fud at Starfish
Go to villa

Return:
All the same but in reverse.

Love it.

Only three more weeks.

Again, thank you all. This forum is such a great resource.

Marcia (Mrs. Pete)
Some day, I'll do our trip report from two weeks on STJ last April/May.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

[quote="
Some day, I'll do our trip report from two weeks on STJ last April/May.[/quote]

I think the reason we didn't do a trip report, is because it would be so damn boring. It would go something like this:

Get up; drink coffee; decide whether it's a villa day or whether we actually motivate to go to a beach; if we beach it, head to Maho; return to villa by 1:00; drink; nap; head into town for dinner. Rinse and repeat.

The above only is spiced up by the occassional visit to the dumpster to rid ourselves of the garbage.

Not much of a trip report.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:[quote="
I think the reason we didn't do a trip report, is because it would be so damn boring. It would go something like this:

Get up; drink coffee; decide whether it's a villa day or whether we actually motivate to go to a beach; if we beach it, head to Maho; return to villa by 1:00; drink; nap; head into town for dinner. Rinse and repeat.

The above only is spiced up by the occassional visit to the dumpster to rid ourselves of the garbage.

Not much of a trip report.[/quote]

Incorrect. The vacation you describe is exactly what most of us aspire to. So, get typing! :wink:
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

Pete (Mr. Marcia) wrote:[quote="
Marcia, I don't think you have EVER done a Trip Report.

Not much of a trip report.[/quote]

Thanks alot buddy.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

Oh ya, we got together with Bandit and his posse...which was, indeed, more interesting than the trip to the dumpster.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air
Bandit

My Posse

Post by Bandit »

That's more like it! I didn't want any of my Posse to feel slighted (should they wander thru here) by your omission of said gathering. And they'll take the dumpster comment as a compliment I'm sure.

P.S. Thanks for the bottle of Rum. Regardless of what anyone says, you can't have too much rum.

Bandit