Okay... weird bug question.

Travel discussion for St. John
obsessedmuch

Okay... weird bug question.

Post by obsessedmuch »

First, I'm sorry to do this to you all but I just have to ask and you are the experts.

Anyway, the day after I returned from my trip, I noticed some bites on my ankles. They itched, for certain! I figured oh, it was from my last moments spent in Cruz Bay since I didn't wear bug spray that day.

Over the next few days, I noticed more of these itching bites on my ankles, calves and even forearms. I know, it's sort of gross. Sorry. At this point, I'd been back in dry ol' Colorado for 3-5 days.

So now, 12 days later they're going away (Thank God I am not allergic to St. John!) but I found it so strange. My question is this: has anyone "developed" bites or noseeum bites or whatever days after they've been on the beach? I've done a lot of research on the internet as well as asked about everyone I know but it's just SO weird and I thought I'd ask you all as well.

Thanks for putting up with me!

:)
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I was in the Bahamas in December and got a lot of noseeum bites on the day before we left. I could feel them at the time they were biting, but didn't really have much in the way of visible bites that day or the next. I remember thinking they really weren't so bad.

Several days after I returned home, however, I was covered with numerous and insanely itchy bites. It was a full 2 weeks before they all finally went away.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

chrisn

Post by chrisn »

You know, that happened to me also. I don't know what they were but good godfrey I itched like a mad person for days. I think I still carry a small scar from itching 10 layers of the epidermis off my leg!
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

I've been back for almost 3 weeks and still have a few lumps around my ankles. I think it's the noseeums.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
Bug

Post by Bug »

Same thing happened to me when I was in Florida. Someone at home told me I had jiggers?!? I had no idea what jiggers where and they explained to me that jiggers are tiny little bugs that lay their eggs under your skin causing itching and rashing that resembles bug bites. I FREAKED!!! Drove to the doctors immediately - not kidding either - immediately. After my doc calmed me down and looked me over, he told me they were sand flea bites. He said that I wouldn't believe how many people come home from a "sandy" location to this reaction from sand fleas. They eventually went away with 100 layer of my skin that I scratched off - hehehe.

XOXO
Bug
robncindi

Post by robncindi »

Hey Girl....Welcome to Noseeum land. We have them here in Texas too. When we first moved here from Northern California, the same thing happened to me. I thought I had some darn skin disease....or shoot ... I told Rob, "I think I'm allergic to Texas...I MUST go back to California!!" Well, that didn't happen and I just adapted to life here in Texas and the noseeums.

But darn if there must not be a different species of those buggers there in St. John. They got me big time! I went through my bottle of Spray with Deet in 2 days and was at the drugstore in St. John by Day 3 searching for more. I had bumps on top of my bumps. And they are still there! BTW....they didn't really bother Rob...go figure! But they sure got my son too...poor guy - I kid you not...he looked like he had a big time case of the measles!! Rob took one look at him one morning and was like... "Holy crap dude!"
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Bug, In Arkansas they call jiggers, chiggers (or maybe that is the way I hear it)--midges?. Does anyone know if they are the same thing as noseeums? It seems that you can feel noseeums when they attack, but chigger bites don't appear or itch until later. About 2 weeks ago I had a terrible reaction to chigger bites (out in our yard). Had the craziest rashes on the back of my knees, crotch (sorry, I know it is gross) and stomach! In addition to those bites or eggs hatching in my skin, I had poison ivy on my arm. I don't know which was worse.

On STJ, it seemed mosquitoes were the enemy!
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Oh my gosh, as gross as this is I'm so reassured that it's not just me. Even in other locations (Florida, the Keys, Bahamas) I've never had a reaction like this. But that's GOT to be what it is. The thought that something HATCHED under my skin has me gagging but my doctor did say it was normal.

I didn't care what she said, I still had to ask all of you! Thanks, all!

Apparently TWO coats of deet is what I'll need next trip!
Bug

Post by Bug »

Oh Kellee, I feel so bad for you. I just looked it up and you are correct, they are chiggers not jiggers. And, they are actually mites so not the same as noseeums. I really didn't want to know what they were, like I said I ran to the Doc immediately. The whole thought of them in my skin just totally freaked me out. I sure hope your all better now. If not, try an oatmeal bath. It will help the poison :wink:

XOXO
Bug
kellyanna

Post by kellyanna »

Thanks, Bug! It is much, much better! Such a relief!

In the peak of scratching, the question I asked my friend was "once these eggs hatch out of or in my skin...then what? Do the eggs get in my sheets, clothes, house...YUK!!" I'm not going into our yard without DEET.

At least you can see mosquitoes!
RickG

Post by RickG »

obsessedmuch wrote:The thought that something HATCHED under my skin has me gagging but my doctor did say it was normal.
Yeah, I think the gagging is normal. My sweet Christine had the same kind of bites, we call them chiggers in Virginia.

My friend Wendy had a Botfly larva in her thigh afer a trip to Africa. Cool scar with a great story.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

RickG said

My friend Wendy had a Botfly larva in her thigh afer a trip to Africa. Cool scar with a great story.

Yea those things are nasty. Seen a video of some kid on youtube that let the fly lay an egg on his back covered it with duct tape then let it grow pulled it out with tweezers after it had matured.Crazy kids, definetly not for the sqeamish.

Those sand fleas love my wife but don't bother me too much. I tell her it's because shes so sweet and I'm so sour.
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Wow, yuck.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm glad I got through the panic stage last week. Now I can just forget about it until next time. :)
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

A lesson in biting insect terminology. Here it is, clear as mud:

Chiggers are tiny, almost micoscopic red mites. Their eggs are laid in vegetation. The larva hatch, climb vegetation, then drop onto a host passing by. They feed on the skin for several days, then drop off to complete their life cycle on the ground. Mites are 8-legged creatures related to spiders. They are not insects.

Scabies, also know as the itch mite, is also a tiny mite. The female burrows into the skin and deposits eggs in the burrow. She remains in the burrow for one to two months before dying. The offspring reach maturity and spread in about two weeks after hatching. Scabies is highly contagious and spreads by prolonged skin-to-skin contact. Scabies are not Chiggers.

Biting midges and Noseeums are two names for the same bug. They are very tiny insects with six legs and a single pair of wings. They pierce the skin and ingest blood like mosquitos do. Some people refer to biting midges as sand fleas or sand flies.

Sand fleas, known as Hop-alongs, are flea-like crustaceans named for their hopping ability. They reside in the sand near the high tide line. They attack anything within about 10” from the ground, hence their bites are clustered around the ankles and feet. Some people refer to sand fleas as Noseeums.

Sand flies, known as Punkies, come in several varieties. They are similar to biting midges, but also can carry and pass on several diseases and viruses. They are found primarily in Asia, Africa, and South America. Some people refer to sand flies as Noseeums.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

California Girl

Post by California Girl »

GidgetPicklebrain: You always come up with the most interesting information! Thanks for posting this! :)