Watermelon Cay

Travel discussion for St. John
Captain Scott

Watermelon Cay

Post by Captain Scott »

We've been to St. John several times but we've never snorkeled at Watermelon Cay. From the various trip reports this definitely looks like a spot we want to hit on this trip. My question is, is Watermelon close enough to swim to from shore or will we need to rent a dingy ?

Thanks

11 days and we're On Island!

"If your attitude is appalling there is a latitude calling"
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

Hi Captain Scott -

Waterlemon Cay is easy enough to get to from shore. You need to hike out there via the Leinster Bay trail which is flat and scenic and doesn't take too long. If you're in for a longer swim, you can snorkel starting right at the sandy beach and head out to the Cay.

Otherwise, you can hike a bit further to the rocky shoreline and swim from there. Either way, you can take a break on the Cay itself if needed. We always try and swim counter clockwise to avoid the current and it is a great time!

This is where I saw a lemon shark in January and people have recently seen lots of starfish, turtles, stingrays and other creatures.

Have fun - 11 days will be here soon!!

Tracy
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
DonnaC

Post by DonnaC »

I think it depends on how much a "hiker" you are or how well you handle heat..I wilt like a hothouse flower and was so glad we went by dinghy..Marching in that bit would have tired me out..We rented a somewhat larger than most dinghy with a backrest from Calypso and made it in no time..The park system has a place to tie up right there..VERY easy. We brought lunch in a cooler and really had a nice day of it..Sea grass close to shore to look for turtles and the area around the cay is great..especially the starfish bed :). The day we were there the current on the one side was a little strong.(and I grew up on the ocean)..a nervous swimmer should wear a vest..The distance from shore is not a bad swim at all and like the other poster said you can rest on the cay. However you go it is a GREAT day.
Gene

BVI charter

Post by Gene »

Palm tree charters are the best. Capt. John is great fun and his boat is rocks it's a smooth ride with great tune. What can I say it was the high light of our trip white bay and foxys so much fun!!! Call 340-714-5641 it worth every penny !
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I have a lot of pictures of Waterlemon here: http://www.pbase.com/thegripps/waterlemon_bay

They might help you get a perspective on how it's all laid out. The trail runs along the edge of the bay. I think the 2nd picture I have shows the Annaberg Sugar Mill ruins from the water... the trail runs along the edge of the water and around toward the point. I've never hiked it, but I saw a number of people out there. One of the last pictures on this link shows some people who have moored dinghys at the cay.

Hope this helps :)
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

By the way... it's actually Waterlemon.

I thought it was Watermelon for quite some time... even after seeing it in a St. John beach guide book, I said to myself, "Oh, look... there's a typo" (and I was quite proud of myself for catching it, I might add)!! I had to see it written a few times before I figured it out!

Five days and counting for us!!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

As far as hikes go, the hike to Waterlemon is about as easy as it gets on St. John. I don't like strenuous hikes on vacation, and the hike Waterlemon really isn't bad in my opinion.
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

By the way California Girl.... that's a great picture of how far the dinghies are moored from Waterlemon Cay.... it helps quite a bit for those thinking of renting dinghies.

Carole
California Girl

Carole: Only 4 days now!! Yahoo!! You're going to have such a bitchin' time! :D
gobucs

Re: Watermelon Cay

Post by gobucs »

Captain Scott wrote:We've been to St. John several times but we've never snorkeled at Watermelon Cay. From the various trip reports this definitely looks like a spot we want to hit on this trip. My question is, is Watermelon close enough to swim to from shore or will we need to rent a dingy ?

Thanks

11 days and we're On Island!

"If your attitude is appalling there is a latitude calling"
If you choose to hike it dont do what we did and take 2 large coolers and all of our beach, snorkeling stuff
It made for a very long hike even with 3 big guys carrying the coolers
I think they had to swap 3 different times BUT
it was some of the best snorkeling we did

Have Fun :D Go Bucs
SoCaTraveler

Post by SoCaTraveler »

Yes, Margo... 4 days left!!

Still waiting for a bunch of stuff to arrive in the mail before we leave (the underwater housing for our camera, the Neat sheet, etc....). It's all due to arrive on Friday! :shock:
California Girl

SoCaTraveler wrote:Yes, Margo... 4 days left!!

Still waiting for a bunch of stuff to arrive in the mail before we leave (the underwater housing for our camera, the Neat sheet, etc....). It's all due to arrive on Friday! :shock:
Nothin' like cutting it close! LOL! :lol:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:06 am.