Extra Adult Charge?

Travel discussion for St. John
54b

Extra Adult Charge?

Post by 54b »

Even when I do read the fine print, I still don't understand the fine print! Need some help understanding the "Extra Adult Charge" for a hotel.

We are spending the first night on St Thomas at the Marriott. We're taking a later flight to save money and my wife wanted to take the pressure off travel day by not having to get to STJ in the same day. Anyway, I got what I thought was a reasonable rate and the additional "resort fee" and tourism taxes didn't phase me. But then there is a line item:

Extra Adult Charge: $80

Is this typical? The room will have my wife and I and our two kids. It has two double beds. So it's not like we're trying to job the system or squeeze in.

Anyway, any context or explanation would be much appreciated. At this point I may tell my wife not to join as at checkin and we'll pretend I "picked her up" at the hotel bar :D
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Teresa_Rae

Re: Extra Adult Charge?

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I've never heard of that before...weird. Are you talking about Frenchman's Reef? If so, I know that Becky (liamsaunt) has stayed there before, she'll probably know the answer.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

I would think that rates would be quoted based on double occupancy, so there would not be an extra charge for the 2nd adult i.e. your wife (but there would be for a 3rd adult). Not sure about your 2 kids, but maybe still included in the room rate (since 2 double beds)? My wife and I stayed at Marriott Morning Star for 3 years (2008-2010) and didn't incur an extra adult charge. It would seem like you would be fine (maybe call the 800# and do a general inquiry?).
Image[/url]
54b

Post by 54b »

Thanks to you both. It is Frenchman's Reef. And hoping it's for a 3rd adult because our kids are both under 12.

I'll gather some more intel, hopefully hear from Liamsaunt and then I can could call to confirm knowing the facts.

Unlike a non-refundable air fare, I definitely have plenty of time to cancel this hotel room if I need to.

Thanks again.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar are both Marriott hotel properties (Frenchman's Cove is their timeshare), so I would think that the rate policies for the hotel would be the same (double occupancy rates for 2 adults). Good luck - please let us know how you make out!
Image[/url]
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

The room reservation was processed as four adults in the room. They have a $40 per person per night fee for guests over age 18 after the first two adults. Call and they will fix it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
54b

Post by 54b »

Case closed. That was it. Thank you, Liamsaunt and thank you Ed and Teresa. Forum wins again.

Didn't realize it was $40x2 as it reads like $80x1. I'm also not used to people just assuming I'm lying when I tell them two of our occupants are children under 12, but I guess that's the world we live in.

BTW, Liamsaunt, your most recent trip report was one of the first things I read when getting back on the forum. Glad to see you're still the most observant snorkeler and best food critic going :D
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

late to the party but we were not charged for our 9yo son in July, glad you got it sorted out. We stayed there on our way to STJ, it was a good way to break up a brutal travel day. The restaurant down at the Morningstar section is very good. The little market in the resort section is surprisingly well stocked.