ferry to Jost

Travel discussion for St. John
bill

ferry to Jost

Post by bill »

Has anyone taken the ferry from Red Hook to Jost Van Dyke? We will be taking the 2.45 . Is it reliable? We will be staying at the Sandcastle. Flight gets in around noon.

Thanks!
equineannie

Re: ferry to Jost

Post by equineannie »

Yes and yes, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

We have taken the ferry from Red Hook to Jost many times. The first few times we did it was weird to not get off on in St John the times it stopped there en route.

Enjoy your stay on Jost!
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

We have taken the ferry to Jost. Last time, it went to Tortola first because the Customs Office on Jost was closed that day. It freaked us out a little because of course no one said that was what was going on. But, we got there. We too stayed at the Sandcastle. Loved it. Enjoy.
bill

Post by bill »

Thanks everybody. Relieved to hear all good experiences about the ferry!

Can't wait to go !
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

One caution. Last year our flight out of Miami (due in at 12:30pm) had to return because of engine issues (all was fine). By the time they had assembled a plane and flight crew it put us in to STT too late for the ferry or even our water taxi. We scrambled while in Miami to find a hotel on STT; give a heads up to the hotel; and of course our rental jeep on Jost. It was pretty stressful. One of the main issues is clearing customs in the pm. JVD closes at 5pm I believe, but West End is at 6pm.

Just be thoughtful and get hotel info before you leave, just in case you are delayed into STT for any reason. We had to pay for both rooms that night, and the airline offered no empathy. We were on the 7am ferry the next morning direct from Redhook to JVD and it was great! We never really thought about issues with clearing customs. Hope this helps........just plan for the unexpected! Enjoy!!
bill

Post by bill »

Thanks Jan and Mike. Could you give me some information on the water taxi you mentioned. Was it Dolphin Water Taxi? I like the idea of a back up plan.
Jan&MikeVa

Post by Jan&MikeVa »

Bill, we ended using the regular ferry from Red Hook direct to JVD. I believe it leaves at 8am. We cancelled the water taxi. I do not have my paperwork, but I believe it Dolphin. Might have been Dohm's. It was pricier than we wanted to pay, so with the extra lodging we opted for the regular ferry service.

Happy Planning!