September, October, or November?

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

September, October, or November?

Post by Backtotheislands »

I am beyond excited!! My husband finally agreed to plan a trip back to St. John!! :D It's been over a year since our last trip, which in his mind was a fiasco! My 2 sisters and their husbands joined us and he prefers to travel alone AND our trip was shortened by a hurricane. With that being said, which month is best to return? I have been in June, July, August, and October. October was beautiful with great weather until that pesky hurricane decided to head toward St. John. Anyway, with my trips too few and far between, I'd like to have beautiful snorkeling weather and not too much rain ( a shower every day doesn't bother me, but all day :( )or high probability of hurricanes. I know it's a roll of the dice, but would love input from those of you who have visited in those months. We like the slower pace and that it isn't quite as warm as July/August! Thank you!
Coconuts

Re: September, October, or November?

Post by Coconuts »

BTTI: Congratulations! FWIW, August and September are the peak months for tropical storms/hurricanes. The storm season technically extends to the end of November, but they are rare once you get into October. As your experience shows, though, all it takes is one to force a retreat. This year's Atlantic hurricane season was extremely quiet, but the protective shield that the powerful 2015 El Nino provided will have faded by next year. This El Nino also drove an unprecedented drought on St. John for much of 2015, which finally turned around in late fall. The island is swarming with butterflies, more than residents with thirty years on island can remember, as a result of the drought and subsequent rainfall. Another thing to consider is that September and November are historically the wettest months, so you run the risk of some non-beach days (see the graph below). We love to come in late September into early October, but take our chances on an end of season tropical storm. The ocean then is crazy warm (86 - 87 F by afternoon), which some may find off-putting, but we find perfect. The tropical breezes are weaker, and it is hotter, but a bit of altitude (and bedroom A/C when needed) fit the bill. Hope this helps.
USVI rain and temperature
USVI rain and temperature
All the best,

Kevin
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

There are also a lot of good deals through October on places to stay.
High in the rockies?
RickG

Post by RickG »

Something to consider is that the weather is more unsettled in October/November. In the summer hurricane months you see organized storms marching from Africa like well scheduled freight trains. They tend to follow tracks that the models predict well. October/November you get more pop up storms with more rain. So, if these are your months and you want great water clarity then September is usually better (add travel insurance).

Given that, we love traveling Halloween/November. Halloween weeks usually sees 30-60 forumites on island, with some folks I've been seeing that same week since 2001. Why? The water is still warm, the weather is good enough and its a good vaccine for winter. The shops/bars/restaurants are back

We're sailing these days and did a month this year from mid-October to mid- November. We had rain showers every night, but only had about three truly rainy days. The week after we left there was a large storm with flooding. Last year we had an awesome weather 10-days on the boat. The water was clear, the winds were gently and the BVIs looked like they were literally closed. Coral Bay was quiet, but Cruz Bay was hopping - busiest place in the islands.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

Have to agree on October! We used to go in the beginning of the month for our anniversary(the 5th) but prefer to go the last week... Weather seems to be better and more restaurants are reopened. Plus love seeing the Halloween spirit throughout the island... It's great :)
kklay

Post by kklay »

We've been on island several times over Halloween and it is a fun time! I do know it used to be a little less crowded than the end of November, which is when we now travel to take advantage of the two days at Thanksgiving that are paid holidays for us. I had friends that traveled In September and they really enjoyed the slower pace of the island and having less people on the beaches at that time.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Like many previous posters are saying, it is a roll of the dice but so worth it when it works out. We have been down in all three of the months. And I would, again, agree with the majority that Halloween Week into November is my favorite thus far. Already looking at timing for next years fall trip back....

We too, had to bug out in Oct of 2014 when a hurricane decided to come rolling though. Frustrating that we had to leave a day or two early. You bet! That is the price you pay when you go down during hurricane season. On the other side of that coin is the peace and serenity of less populated island and beaches. I would have to say that our Sept trip was probably our least favorite as so many places were closed. Just not the same trip to the islands if I can't hang at my favorite haunts. :D
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

Our 25th anniversary trip during the first week of October was picture perfect start to finish. Some places were closed, but there were more open than we could get to during our stay. Beaches were very uncrowded as well. We bought trip insurnace in case of bad weather, but the only rain we had was overnight or a brief 15 minute shower here and there.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius