Suggestions for Something Different?

Travel discussion for St. John
chrisn

Suggestions for Something Different?

Post by chrisn »

Hi forum...been a long time since I posted anything, and I've recently started reading up for our upcoming visit. 3 long years..so needless to say, it's been a long time coming baby! I will be on island with my grown daughter and son for his graduation celebration in June. We are not doing a charter this time and are looking at maybe doing some different things than what we've done in past trips. I have booked the guided Reef Bay hike, but looking for some other suggestions. Any input appreciated! Looking so forward to coming home at long last!
psufan

Re: Suggestions for Something Different?

Post by psufan »

Have you snorkeled the mangroves in Hurricane Hole? We actually went on a guided kayak tour with Arawak. It was a truly marvelous experience and now that we kind of got the lay of the land/water we will probably rent kayaks and do it ourselves when we visit in September. The guides were really knowledgeable about that unique ecosystem and we learned more than we expected to. Some of the best soft corals and anemones we have seen in the waters of St John.
loria

Post by loria »

what time of year and what kinds of things do you like?
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Thanks! We will be there in June. Anything..just something outside the norm maybe. Things we havent done in our past visits.
hanginghigh704

Post by hanginghigh704 »

It doesnt take much to entertain me.
Maybe rent kayaks or SUPs. Snorkel a beach you haven't been to. Hike Ram Head. Visit part of the island you haven't been too. None of that is probably of much help or origonal but maybe it'll spark something.
ms411

Post by ms411 »

Maybe take class from Sloop Jones?
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
lprof

Post by lprof »

This is something new to me as of today... thus I know nothing about it other than the link.

http://reeftopeak.com/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

One year, we enjoyed a walk up to Peace Hill, then down to Denis Bay. The hike to Peace Hill is short and easy. You are rewarded with fabulous views of turquoise waters of all hues, the beach, and out to sea. There are remains of a sugar mill too. Then we walked down to Denis Bay (spur off trail to Peace Hill), which is a steep, but short trail. Denis Bay is very pretty and we enjoyed walking around. I think there usually aren't too many people there since you have to hike in.

We enjoy a walk around Mongoose shopping center to enjoy the architecture, then get ice cream at Scoops.

We would like to walk the trail up to the ruins above Waterlemon on our next trip. There was a description in News of St John recently. The views are fabulous. It would be worth taking a lunch and hanging out up there.

I second the vote for snorkeling the mangroves in Hurricane Hole. We went with Long Distance and it was the last snorkel of the day. The life amidst the mangroves is fascinating. Be careful not to touch the bottom because you will stir up silt and won't be able to see anything (spoken from experience with someone in our group who kept doing this!)

Happy planning!
kklay

Post by kklay »

We enjoy cooking hot dogs on the grill when at the beach. We've also done burgers too. It breaks up the day a little bit and we've also invited new friends we've met on the beach that day to join us! We've done this on Maho, Francis and Little Lamshur.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Chrisn - we thoroughly enjoyed a day that we booked with Pam Gaffin. That was one fun extra did we did once. We've also rented kayaks and gone to Whistling Cay, snorkeled the mangroves at Princess bay, gone out with Busy Bee charters on a lap around STJ, did the guided Reef bay hike, hiked and spent the day at Brown bay. There always seems to be something new to discover :) Still on our list is to rent kayaks from Crabbys, and kayak into Hurricane Hole.
Iprof - cool intel - and timely! Thanks!
loria

Post by loria »

i met the proprietor of reef to peak last december and carry her info in our villa-- she is super nice, fun and i think delivers a great product. she will, i believe work with you to tailor a day to what you want.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>