Villa Help - sunsets!

Travel discussion for St. John
Rebubula

Villa Help - sunsets!

Post by Rebubula »

Help!!

I've been googling away, digging through archives and my eyes are glossing over. Planning our 2016 trip and I can't get focused!!
We have been to STJ 8 times since being married there in 2003. And stayed all over the island. Our last trip we stayed in Coral Bay and loved it, my one complaint I missed the sunsets! I think Sago Palms view spoiled me many years ago.

Can anyone recommend villa for 2, some of our must haves - sunset views, pool, ac in bedroom, covered outdoor space, private. Open kitchen with views if possible.
Are looking around $2-3k and typically go anywhere between April-June. We may have another couple join, so looking for at least 2 bdrm.

Here are some I have had my eye on.

Bordo Mare - on higher end and appears to be limited/winter sunsets?

Sol Inclination - higher end, seems too big for just 2 of us

Coconuts - awesome views and outdoor space, gets rave reviews and I like knowing the owner seems to be great guy

Bongo bongo - higher end, keep coming back and yet hesitant on this one. Like that it's newer

Cinnamon Ridge - seems a little dated, also hard to tell on sunsets

Others that haven't dropped off the list for one reason or another; Casa Ya Ya, Villa Capiz, Longview, Island Time, Treasure Ridge, Morgan Point.

As you can see I am all over the place. Anything we haven't thought of or thoughts on above?

Thank You in Advance!!
AquaGirl

Re: Villa Help - sunsets!

Post by AquaGirl »

We have stayed at Coconuts several times in May and June. There are wonderful sunset views from the deck. There is an outdoor kitchen and a dining area under a gazebo on the deck, both with wonderful views. We love to eat our meals on the deck. We enjoy the expansive view out to the sea and over to St Thomas in the morning, and the sunset views in the evening. I think it meets the requirements you listed. Its one of our favorite villas and the owner is friendly and helpful.

Coconuts owners (forum name is Coconuts) also own the house next to Coconuts; its called Plumeria. It has the same layout as Coconuts, so I think it has the same view, but we've never stayed there. You can check with the owner to be sure. It also has an outdoor eating area, as well as an outdoor "living room" that looks like a great place to hang out and enjoy the views.

If you are going to stay at Coconuts, I recommend booking as early as possible. It is popular and gets booked up quickly.

I recognize the "eyes glossing over" syndrome when searching for a villa. Last year, Coconuts was already booked, so I had to do "the great villa search".

Happy trip planning.
nancyr84

Post by nancyr84 »

We stayed at Coconuts in June. On the plus sides the outdoor spaces and view were great.We loved the hot tub overlooking St Thomas and the beautiful sunsets. If you are looking for an upscale place though this isn't it. The kitchen is very basic, old and well worn. The laundry is in a shed of some sort outside. The Villa is very popular so the positives must outweigh the negatives with most people. I just do not see it as luxurious .It was my least favorite of all places we have stayed. I know I'm going against the grain here , but I think people have a right to all opinions.
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thank you both Aquagirl and Nancyr84. Both perspectives are appreciated and helpful. I think you can tell by some of our other choices updated interior probably ranks somewhere in the middle to high.

I usually have it more narrowed down by now, this time I'm scattered!
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Bongo is a very nice villa with great finishes. We were there in the Summer and the mosquitoes were bad but it's got a nice pool and while not my favorite views, a convenient location.

Cinnamon Ridge is one of my all-time favorites mainly due to the views of the north shore. The pool is fabulous!

No A/C and you're right, the furniture is the same as on my first stay there in '85, but great breezes all the time. Did I mention the views???

Have fun deciding!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Sol Inclination is beautiful, but the sun sets behind a hill, so you really just get the colors in the sky, not a direct sunset.
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks stevo2916 and lisa mcg.

Sol Inclination was at the top of my list this morning, but hoping for a little more sunset view and stills seems big for two of us. Our house is small though (1300 SF), so perhaps we go for the extra space for a change!

And those north shore views can't be beat, but dated interior has cinnamon ridge at bottom of the list.

Any we haven't thought of or other recomendations?? Thanks for feedback so far, it's helping!
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Well, you might look at Apito Villa. Can't speak to sunset view, but it is pretty new and looks very nice.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

If it is sunsets you want, Sunset Ridge Villas has them. It is not as private as a single villa but there are only 6 of them. Depending on the week, many residents congregate at the pool for sunsets then go their separate ways at other times. They are perfect for two couples, since there are two buildings with a courtyard separating them. A/C in the master suite only.

ImageSunset Ridge

http://sunsetridgevillas.com/index.shtml
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks Bill, beautiful!
Funny, I was checking them out and trying to understand the ownership thing as part of my future life planning! I think you had posted under the 'where have you stayed' thread and were a repeat visitor, that always stands out.

Looking for something more private this time around, but have filed it away and may try to check out during our visit. Thank you!!
CHM

Post by CHM »

We stayed at Bongo Bongo for our anniversary and loved it. We would definitely stay there again. I do remember thinking the Mosquitos were a problem, but that was several years ago. Being from the Deep South, we attributed the Mosquitos to the pool fountain which is only to be turned on when you are at the villa, but I remember reading another visitor requested that the rugs be removed and that solved the mosquito problem. And I should add that the Mosquitos were only an issue outside. Otherwise Bongo is just awesome.

We also loved Argonauta. The views, especially sunset are amazing. Two other villas we love are Infinity and La Bella Vita. Fabulous villas and views. And Coconuts is on our list for a future trip.
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

There is a newer villa on North Shore that I think is in Catherinburg called
Out of the Bleu.
Make sure you spell blue that way or another villa will come up.
Price is higher and I am not sure about the sunset. You could ask owner.
Hale Lani
Palm Hill
Morgan's Mango
Paradise Revisited
These might be out of your price also but they have sunset view.
It is hard to find a perfect place after Sago Palm. I miss that view too.
good Luck.
Beach Creecher
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Morgan's Point. Sorry not Mango. I must be hungry.
Beach Creecher
Rebubula

Post by Rebubula »

Thanks chm and Wanda, some other ones I had not considered!!

There are so many options and it does seem to limit it some with sunsets as a requirement. When we stayed in Coral Bay we would hit beaches for sunset (which I would highly recommend!!) but by that time it interferes with having cleaned up and cocktail hour. We prefer to head out to beaches early and be back to villa and stay put.

We have some decisions and number crunching to do, and soon! Could be worse decisions to have to make.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Big vote for Plumeria, owned by Coconuts owner. New updated interior and exterior. We are staying there this August, and I know the sunset views are killer because we've stayed for years at Cloud 9, directly below Plumeria on Gifft Hill. The sunset views from Gifft Hill are spectacular, I've seen none better. Coconuts owner is great to deal with.
I've been to Apito, a lot of up and down to the floor plan, it's quite new, but as far as I know there is no sunset view due to where it's located.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll