Night snorkel !!!

Travel discussion for St. John
dctac

Night snorkel !!!

Post by dctac »

Okay, I got one off my bucket list! I bought an underwater light and brought down this year. our last days were at the Marriott cove and I had planned on doing a snorkel at night. I've seen the tarpon follow the lighted kayaks so I went out (alone) before the kayaks. WOW It was an awesome experience. I wish I could post the video I got. I had two big stingrays 8 ft below me with up to 6 or seven big tarpon circling me! I'd shine my light on a small fish in front of the tarpon and it would inhale it! A few good size permit would also buzz through. On the swim back to the beach a nice size barracuda was lurking..... Great adrenaline rush.... I know swimming alone in the dark may not be the safest thing but in front of the cove I felt safe.. I will say next year I'm bringing down a wetsuit top and maybe a knife for my leg to keep my wife happy!! She freaked out when from the room she saw the light go out then I started circling following the fish! She though I was being eaten by a shark!!!The water was way cold, it took me 10 minutes swimming hard to stop shakin.... Highly recommended
ms411

Re: Night snorkel !!!

Post by ms411 »

Thanks for posting, but this belongs in a St Thomas forum, I think.

Can you post it on virgin-islands-on-line in the St Thomas forum? Thanks!
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

I had never thought of doing this at night. Love to snorkel. But how truly brave am I? :oops: :shock:
dctac

Post by dctac »

ms411 wrote:Thanks for posting, but this belongs in a St Thomas forum, I think.

Can you post it on virgin-islands-on-line in the St Thomas forum? Thanks!
Sorry, I love St Thomas but I guess my hearts in St John!!!!
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

Hey, interesting topic. You can post any time.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

What kind of light did you buy for your night snorkel? I want to do this when we come back this summer. I was looking at them on amazon today but there are so many and the price range is crazy: from $20 to over $700!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

FWIW, I bought this dive light a few years ago and like it; $59.95 with free shipping, and (gasp) batteries included:

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-55/0261 ... Light.html

I have used it on night scuba dives, and like it, but when you scuba dive you can get pretty close to what you're lighting. My biggest eye-opener was how much coral is colored vivid yellow, orange and red. Those colors are nearly totally absorbed in the first ten feet of water, so you never see them in the daytime. I have meant to try a night snorkel, but never seem to get around to it.

That behavior of the tarpon was really interesting. I love to see them, but run into them too rarely. I wonder if they only approach lights near that cove, due to the lighted kayak conditioning there, or if this is something lots of hungry tarpon night-owls have figured out (show me the fish!). It could also be that those tarpon move around a lot, and bring their new found skills to St. John. A night snorkel with a light would be one way to find out. I'll post if and when I get my act together; in the meantime, let's hear from upcoming visitors willing to give a night snorkel a try.

All the best,

Kevin
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

That is really cool!! I'd be too scared to night snorkel myself, but I loved reading about it.
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Coconuts wrote: I love to see them, but run into them too rarely. I wonder if they only approach lights near that cove, due to the lighted kayak conditioning there, or if this is something lots of hungry tarpon night-owls have figured out
Kevin, do you mean running into them too rarely at night or during the day? We saw them while snorkeling during the day on several days last June at Francis Bay on the right about 1/2 way out towards Mary Point. Scared the daylights out of me as they are huge and "appeared out of nowhere"!

We have never tried night snorkeling (sort of nervous about that, but it is tempting to maybe just try near shore right in front of Gallows Point where we always stay). I recall about 6 years ago while dining on a pier in St Martin there were several tarpon swimming by the pier and I assumed they were somehow attracted by the lights. Pretty cool watching them while dining.
Image[/url]
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Ed S: My track record in seeing tarpon is pretty awful. Our first experience was about sixteen years ago. My two young daughters and I were snorkeling near the far end of Trunk Cay, when we had an "OMG, what are those giant fish!?!" moment as we all spotted three or four big ones swimming together. That night, a guide to fish in the VI filled us in that what we had seen were tarpon. Since then, I may have seen tarpon one more time, but am not sure. I do get to the beach reasonably often, a bit late these days with villa projects to tend to, but still, a terrible track record on tarpon. I snorkel a fair amount when I am at the beach, and do see lots of other really cool marine life. I have had 100% odds for years of seeing that marvelous pair of queen angelfish near the bird poop rocks between Maho Bay and Little Maho. Spotted Eagle Rays, all sorts of other beautiful marine creatures, but no tarpon so far this century. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. If a night snorkel with a dive light will improve my odds, I'm in!

I have a similar terrible record with octopus. Note the use of the singular form; Brewer's Bay, Tortola, 1999. I read posts where forum members spot three in a single snorkel. Obviously, being alert and spotting the debris piles near their lair is a skill that I have yet to acquire. Maybe on the next snorkel...

PS: Staying at Gallow's Point should provide very comfortable, secure, and quick water access (and egress) at night. Go for it!

All the best,

Kevin
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Kevin, thanks for the update! We have only been to St John 6 times in the past 6 years (always at Gallows, mostly in early December, last this past early June).... a fraction of the times you are there since you own on island. I guess it is just luck and timing. We do snorkel a fair bit most every day, usually 1 1/2-2 hrs in mid-morning and again in mid-afternoon (2 different locations/day).

We have been very lucky, seeing all sorts of stuff. Our quest is always seeing an octopus, and although we have been lucky, it never seems like enough! Over the past 6 years, we have seen an octopus at Francis multiple times (including my wife playing tug of war with an octopus with an incredible bright orange/red "True Tulip" she found there - he won!), as well as Great and Little Lameshur, and Gallows Point.

Most of our Tarpon encounters has been at Francis, with this past June the most amazing with 3 swimming together.... have also seen Tarpon at Gallows Point & Frank Bay.

Other notables are Spotted Eagle Rays at Little Lameshur and Francis, Spotted and Moray eels at Frank Bay, and nurse sharks at Gallows & Frank Bay and Francis. Along with of course countless other fish, rays, barracudas, etc. Our favorite snorkels have been at Francis, Gallows, the Lameshurs, both Haulovers, Salt Pond, and Waterlemon.

Best of luck on future snorkels..... keep us posted!
Image[/url]
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Thank you for the post, dctac.

Night snorkeling has always intrigued me... and I've wished I didn't have a fear of darkness. I imagine I could brave my way out in the dark Maho water but I would need some reassuring (and the will to deal with no-see-ums on the beach, haha). Hope it'll happen someday... or do I? Perhaps your video would convince me to (or better not to) night snorkel if you can find a way to post it. :D
Coconuts

Post by Coconuts »

Pickle: FWIW, I was at Maho from 9:30 PM to midnight in late December for some astronomical/nautical photography, and there weren't any no-see-ums or mosquitos to contend with. Maybe those are just a dusk thing. Plenty of parking, too. I didn't have a bathing suit, and was dressed too well to get my duds wet (this was right after the St. John Singers choral concert at the Moravian Church), but I did slip off my sandals, and the water felt mighty inviting. I'll try to mix some photography and a night snorkel with a dive light next month, and report back.

All the best,

Kevin
dctac

Post by dctac »

liamsaunt wrote:What kind of light did you buy for your night snorkel? I want to do this when we come back this summer. I was looking at them on amazon today but there are so many and the price range is crazy: from $20 to over $700!
I bought an LED Underwater Kinetics (UK) light cannon it was around $220 - $250 ? it takes 8 C batteries and I would highly recommend it. also bought a smaller $100. one for if my boy goes with next year. It works beautiful has both flood and spot options. It really throws some light out underwater which made me feel a bit safer! Ha Ha... It has a good handle on it... I also have been thinking where to go out on St John... This past time at Maho I saw a small tarpon cruzin along the beach. Also in the past saw 3 or 4 good size one's under the ferry's at the ferry dock..Not sure if I'd do a swim in Cruz Bay due to the dingy's at night....
The fish at the cove are defiantly trained to the kayaks. There were more when I got over to where they started their tour. I spooked the guy doing the tour paddling backward talking and I lit him up!
I will admit it took me a few days to get the nerve up. And a bit of rum during dinner! I'll try to get my son to figure how to get video up. I'm not very techy.
I was hoping to see lot's of night stuff come out and did see some nice shrimp but no octopus or lobsters...... Duck
dctac

Post by dctac »

Pickle wrote:Thank you for the post, dctac.

Night snorkeling has always intrigued me... and I've wished I didn't have a fear of darkness. I imagine I could brave my way out in the dark Maho water but I would need some reassuring (and the will to deal with no-see-ums on the beach, haha). Hope it'll happen someday... or do I? Perhaps your video would convince me to (or better not to) night snorkel if you can find a way to post it. :D
http://youtu.be/CJc1FFq9Jn0
Hope it helps..
duck.