Painkillers aside, what else at Soggy Dollar?

Travel discussion for St. John
Caw954s

Painkillers aside, what else at Soggy Dollar?

Post by Caw954s »

My husband and I have wanted to go to Soggy Dollar, so we're doing it via Kekoa January 26...my husband will no doubt love it! Sailing to, then swimming up to a bar in the BVI, that's what he dreams about :lol: . But, I'm not much of a drinker, so while he's enjoying those painkillers, is there something else to do over there that you think is pretty cool? A snorkel place? A gift shop? A great sandwich? Thanks for any ideas....
ski2play

Re: Painkillers aside, what else at Soggy Dollar?

Post by ski2play »

Two of my favorite things, Soggy Dollar Bar and Kekoa, you lucky girl! :D

There are hammocks to lounge in, other establishments within walking distance to explore, people watching, etc. You could take a taxi take a ride around the island of Jost to see some of the views higher up.

You will be in paradise. Enjoy!
TheBeatyBunch

Post by TheBeatyBunch »

I agree, two of my favorite things, Jost and Kekoa! There are a few "gift shops" to explore, but standing in the most beautiful blue water with a drink of your choice in your hand will make the day go by in a blink!
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

Head to Gertrude's, a couple doors down from Soggy Dollar. She makes an awesome chicken roti. And, if your husband orders a Painkiller, they will hand him a cup with ice, a bottle of Pusser's Rum, a container of mix, and a nutmeg and grinder, to make your own. Pretty cool. Enjoy. Wish I were there right now....... the webcam will have to do for now.
http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam.aspx
Image[/url]
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

When you get off the boat One Love is all the way to the left. They make the best lobster pasta you will likely ever eat. In the other direction, Ivan's Stress Free Bar is over a short rock outcropping (with stairs carved into it). Ivan's is a great place to relax. And of course you can spend hours playing the hook game at Soggy Dollar. If you do get over to Great Harbor check out Foxy's (good times esp if Foxy is in). In addition Corsairs is a great bar with excellent food selections!! All in all, I cannot imagine not having anything to do in Jost! :D
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I love the ring game - it's must when you're at Soggy. Also, the people watching there is excellent. Definitely stroll down the beach and check out the other places too!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Thanks guys! All of those ideas are good ones. I had to google the game that hotrns and michigan girls mentioned, I love games, and would you believe there's a YouTube video showing someone playing the game at the soggy dollar! I checked out the webcam too...getting excited! :)
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

If you have time to have a meal or drinks at Cruz Bay landing before you head to the BVIs, you can practice your ring game skills on the mini versions they have there that you can play while sitting at your table :)
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

The conch fritters and chicken rotti at Soggy Dollar were pretty good, too!
jsauls1

Post by jsauls1 »

If you are traveling to Jost by Kekoa , which is a great trip by the way , you only have about 1:30min to do what you want. So if you are going to Ivans you need to go there first.
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

jsauls1 wrote:If you are traveling to Jost by Kekoa , which is a great trip by the way , you only have about 1:30min to do what you want. So if you are going to Ivans you need to go there first.
That's excellent information jsauls1, thank you! An hour and 30 minutes isn't a lot of time.
Beachnut513

Post by Beachnut513 »

Highly recommend the Chicken Roti! Then grab yourself a seat and enjoy the view!!! :D
MinnGirl

Post by MinnGirl »

Second the conch fritters and roti. The lobster at One Love is also great. Even without cocktails, you can't have a bad time on JVD. My 5 year old still talks about how fun the Soggy Dollar is. He particularly likes the bean bag chairs on the Kekoa, the Ring Game (he hooked it twice on his first trip) and the JVD beach (in that order).
RickG

Post by RickG »

All the rest, and a great rum punch and grilled hot dog with fried onions at Jewel's. Ivan's is just finishing up their renovation and things look great.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
StJohnMike

Post by StJohnMike »

I have to recommend Kekoa, even if you only get 1 1/2 to 2 hours at White Bay, even if you're not a big drinker, it's still some of the most fun you'll ever have in the islands, go for it.