Airline Carry-on Size

Travel discussion for St. John
Jeff&Cindy

Airline Carry-on Size

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

I just read this article that says the airlines are becoming more diligent in enforcing their carry-on size limits. Are you all finding this to be true? (maybe time for me to shop for new carry on bags... :( )

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-ho ... 87911.html
jimg20

Re: Airline Carry-on Size

Post by jimg20 »

First, I travel several times a month. I haven't seen anything change in the way they are checking the carry-on bags. In fact, I see more and more people carrying two bags onto regional jets and even more on the big jets. I have also noticed that they are offering to check bags through to the final desination at no cost at the gate when they expect the OH compartments to fill up before everyone is on board.

Second, I checked the size of my Travelpro, and it is within the "new" limits.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

I checked the American website, and it appears that there's no significant change. As long as your checked bag's girth is no more than 62 inches (length + width + height) and weighs under 50 lbs, you're okay. I don't think carry-on restrictions have changed; I can't remember what they used to be. Carry-ons must "fit comfortably into the bag sizer."

Check your arline's website for specifics.

TM

PS: American has instituted some restrictions on boxes and coolers, but they don't seem to apply to the USVI. Where they do apply, you can't check a box/cooler over 70 lbs, and if it's between 51 and 70 lbs., you're charged extra.
kklay

Post by kklay »

The last couple of times traveling to the V.I., I did note the gate staff seemed more aware of the size of carry-ons. I have also been asked a couple of times to put my Vera Bradley bag in their "HOLDER" to make sure it would fit - not a problem and easily fit in their container. I wasn't overly happy with other travelers who were NOT asked to do the same with rolling suitcases that I doubt would have fit! Just got back from Daytona (Delta) and they were offering free gate check to your final destination to ensure there was enough overhead space. The planes were packed both ways.
SamanthaL

Post by SamanthaL »

kklay, what Vera do you travel with? I use my Vera duffel bag and it's great. I am always afraid it may be too big but I have never had a problem.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Samantha,

Below is the Vera I used for traveling. Very convenience with all the pockets. It will fit under the seat.

Get Carried Away Tote
SKU #11024154 | 18¼" x 15½" x 7½" with 12½" strap drop

The ultimate in travel, our Get Carried Away Tote is designed to function as a travel companion. Unique, breakaway zipper gives the option of securely closing the bag (like a duffel or luggage item) or leaving it wide open! Tons of pockets (some plastic-lined!) and positionable shoulder pads make traveling comfortable and easy. Go ahead, Get Carried Away!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Our flights are to vacation destinations and I have noticed a definite increase in airline's cracking down on carry ons. We have been back and forth twice to the VIs, Puerto Rico and Mexico in the last year, all on US airways, and enforcement was tough.

My mom goes to Mexico a couple of times a year and she has seen the same, so much so that they got new carry ons.