That special STJ aroma!

Travel discussion for St. John
steveo2916

That special STJ aroma!

Post by steveo2916 »

Ok, forumites, I have had for years my favorite on-island aroma (other than Hurcules pates!). I'll catch fleeting 'wafts' of it as I drive around the island, particularly on Centerline and the North shore rd. The best I can describe it is a blend of freshly roasted coffee and a pleasant skunk smell. It has always bugged me that no one can tell me what I'm smelling! I'm reasonably certain that there are no coffee-brewing STJ skunks! And since it's so pleasant to me, I'm guessing it must be plant-based.

Any ideas???

SteveO. :D
lprof

Re: That special STJ aroma!

Post by lprof »

From the archives... still on your mind??? :)

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... f=1&t=5224

I am not sure that I have had the pleasure of experiencing the aroma. Musky seems to be the common term.
Older subject... new thoughts???
... no longer a stranger to paradise
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

OMG, lprof, you are my hero of the day!!! :D :D :D

I had totally forgotten about that thread, but now you understand just how strong a memory bond that aroma has for me! I'm actually gearing up for a week-long trip with my daughter to STJ in August for my Son and future DIL's wedding! I can't wait until I catch the first whiff (first whiffed in '84)!

Thanks for the memories!

SteveO.
lprof

Post by lprof »

You are welcome! St John feeds all our senses very well... enjoy your next experience there! And make some new memories. 8)
david@va.beach

Post by david@va.beach »

I've forgotten the name but I believe it's a kind of nettle.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

As strange as the smell is I absolutely love it! I know I am where I want to be when I smell that wonderful smell of STJ
Summerlover

Post by Summerlover »

LOL, we smelled it too when we were there. We would always yell out "there's that smell again" and laugh
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Well whether it's mongoose sac's, or a plant, I sure do miss the hell out of it. I gotta' agree- it's definately strongest in that hollow going east just before you hit Maho.
Jeez, do I miss it. I miss it all so much.
Smiles-
MJ
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I live in Florida and now that we are in the rainy season, I smell that "St John smell" here. I always thought it was the Bay Rum trees I smelled on island, but we don't have Bay Rum trees here, so it must be something else. Maybe Flamboyant trees when they bloom? Anyway, it makes me miss St. John desperately.
Tickerless :(
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

A convenient place to smell Bay Rum is around the parking lot at Trunk Bay. Take a few steps around, get a whiff, then "Ahhhh!" Sort of a blending of cinnamon & nutmeg. One of my favorite things about STJ.

Did the NPS-guided L'Esperance Trail hike recently. Big highlight for me was walking through a large grove of Bay Rums. In fact, may be the only large stand of them on the island.

Anyway, I don't think Bay Rum is what's being described here.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle-age crisis."
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Is the aroma by the Stinky Donkey Dip sign in Coral Bay a result of the dumpster or the mangroves there? I almost gagged the first time we drove by it, but came to miss it after we left.
sunrum

Post by sunrum »

We read that the smell by the dumpers is from the mangroves and only occurs in certain conditions, maybe when it hasn't rained in a while but can't quite remember the details.
lprof

Post by lprof »

BocaSue

Post by BocaSue »

I know exactly where you are talking about....it is a faint, skunky type smell...always thought it was a farm of illegal substances (now illegal in Colorado) growing some where around there. :)