Thrifty Car Rental - St. Thomas - Not so Great

Travel discussion for St. John
Bumblebee2

Thrifty Car Rental - St. Thomas - Not so Great

Post by Bumblebee2 »

I made an online reservation with Thrifty in St. Thomas for a Dodge Nitro or similar. I confirmed the reservation with the Thrifty 800 res center after I made it. The day before the reservation I called the St. Thomas location to reconfirm and the agent told me she could not find my reservation but not to worry that if I had received a confirmation via e-mail they would have my reservation when I arrived. When we arrived at the counter they appeared to be scrambling to find us a car. After about 30 minutes they came up with a car for us which was a Chevy Equinox. It was fine except it was full of sand and had some empty beer bottles in the back seat. They obviously didn't make any attempt to clean it out. All dents, scratches and over all dirty condition were noted on the paperwork before we left. When we returned the car I inquired about a discount due to the unfavorable condition of the vehicle and was given 5% off.

We'll never use Thrifty again. Anybody else use them lately? How was your experience?
Bumblebee2

Re: Thrifty Car Rental - St. Thomas - Not so Great

Post by Bumblebee2 »

Update - I called their office in Tulsa and they referred me to the new owner who promptly returned my call. He was very nice and professional and promised to refund one day of the rental to us. If what he said comes true then it sounds like their operation will be much improved over the next few weeks. I sure hope so for the sake of others who have reservations there.
rays&rum13

Post by rays&rum13 »

I rented from them in November and was Leary at first(we normally rent right on STJ) I also called the 800# and confirmed my reservation prior to our trip. We didn't have any issues at all, the only thing similar was our jeep had a lot of sand in it and some trash(a cup or two and a wrapper). For the price and not having any major issues I was okay with it! I'm glad they are making an effort to make it right!
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

I rented for 15 days in March. My Equinox was not spotless but had been vacuumed and had less than 1000 miles on it. Also had a dented rear bumper but had no issues and the convenience of renting on STT thus eliminating cab fares etc is great. Did shopping before catching the ferry. I used the 800 number plus always call the local number 30 days out and again the week before the departure. Just to be sure I am not standing there with luggage and no vehicle. But I do that with all car rentals and reservations. Last year I used Hertz but this year THrifty was cheaper. Just renting on STT saved about $100 per week plus cab fares. Plus the adventure of backing onto a ferry is not to be underestimated.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Remember Hertz does not allow their vehicles to be taken to STJ (for anyone new here that might be reading this thread)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties