Restaurant recommendation for birthday dinner

Travel discussion for St. John
Noreen

Restaurant recommendation for birthday dinner

Post by Noreen »

My husband and I are going to be staying in Cruz Bay after many trips to Coral Bay. Can anyone recommend a nice place for a birthday dinner? Going to be fun staying in the big city for a change, lol.
lightpacker

Re: Restaurant recommendation for birthday dinner

Post by lightpacker »

If it were my birthday, I'd go to Asolare. My wife would pick La Tapa.

There may be other better choices we're not familiar with, though.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

I'm going to swim against the current here.

If I were on St John for my birthday, I'd want to eat somewhere unlike anything I can get here at home in the US. I can eat steaks, italian, sushi, etc at home. If I had to choose one meal out when in St John, I want to eat local style Caribbean food that I absolutely cannot get back here at home. I'd choose local Caribbean lobster at one of the many places in Cruz Bay that serve it, but most likely.....

I'd choose to eat at P&P By The Sea. At the end of the road past Gallows. Mismatched furniture sitting outside watching the car barges come into dock. Patricia makes the most wonderful local food including conch in butter sauce, roti, and so many other great things that I'll never, ever find here at home.

I know this flies against the conventional wisdom of fine dining, but that's how we roll.
Bumblebee2

Post by Bumblebee2 »

We just returned from a week in St. John. We dined at The Banana Deck, Rhumb lines, Morgan's Mango, Ocean 362, La Tapa, ZoZo's and The Terrace. My favorites were ZoZo's and La Tapa.
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

I thought I replied, so apologies if this post shows up twice. Thanks for the recommendations. I think we'll go to ZoZo's for the birthday dinner, as we've never been, and I like Caneel Bay's property so much. P&P By The Sea is also added as a must stop - sounds like just our kind of place.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I'm with Charlie on this one. You can have "encrusted" whatever at home at fine dining establishments. If you want Island dining, go to someplace off the beaten path and have an experience you'll cherish forever. Isn't that why you are there and NOT at home?
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.