Walking from Grande Bay to Cruz Bay

Travel discussion for St. John
vi lover

Walking from Grande Bay to Cruz Bay

Post by vi lover »

How easy/tough is the walk from Grande Bay to Cruz Bay? Is the walk back too uphill for a 5 year old (and his tag along parents!)?

I have friends staying there in early June, and they plan to walk to Cruz Bay for Dinner. I wasn't sure if they might need to taxi back to the condo.

Thanks!
iheartsj

Re: Walking from Grande Bay to Cruz Bay

Post by iheartsj »

Grande Bay is IN Cruz Bay. It is an easy mostly flat walk into the entertainment district for food and shopping.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Not, at all...its really not even out of Cruz Bay..walking shouldn't be a problem at all..:)
[/url]
RickG

Post by RickG »

Minutes, a few minutes.

5 is a great age. My kids at 5 rather ran than walked down that beach. You're right on the beach with bars and restaurants right there. The beach Maho trees are great for climbing and the adult beverages are right there.

My opinion? Get out there first thing in the morning and do some beach walks and look for Ziggy the Piggy.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Its the perfect location to "stumble" home... and if you get tired, on the 3 minute walk , you can always stop at Motu for a rest (and a cocktail) Hey - it could happen :wink:
kklay

Post by kklay »

As all have said, very easy walk and a great idea to walk a little in the morning. I'm sure your 5 year old would really enjoy seeing Ziggy! Very friendly piggy!
bebackinaminute

Post by bebackinaminute »

Look at a satellite view of Cruz Bay on Google Maps....zoom in. If you are in decent shape without physical limitations, you can walk from Grande Bay all the way to Mongoose Junction. Pretty much a straight shot. Don't know if a 5 year old would be happy about it all the way, but if they are easy going, energetic and enjoy new things, then maybe they'll also be fine all that way. But there are lots of places to stop along the way to rest, pick up a water, eat, drink, shop, etc. If you are up for a little hike, you can walk all the way from Grande Bay along the Lind Point Trail next to the visitors' center to Salomon and Honeymoon Beaches. Be aware that if it has rained and especially if it has been a rainy few days, this trail can be quite soupy. Wear shoes you don't mind getting dirty.
"Wrote a note said, 'Be back in a minute', bought a boat and I sailed off in it......"

Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

My husband has it down to the "number of steps" from GB to the Beach Bar 8)