Anguilla, Bonaire - other?

Travel discussion for St. John
SuefromMA

Anguilla, Bonaire - other?

Post by SuefromMA »

Just back. Fabulous stay at A Winsome House on Ajax Peak. Promise to do up a quick recap soon.

We were a little disappointed in the snorkeling this year. Didn't see our usual Angelfish off of the Right of Maho. Also, had a couple of cloudy, murky water days.

As always, I am 2 days home and already thinking about next year. We are thinking of maybe just doing a 7 or 8 night stay somewhere next April or May.

We have heard GREAT things about the snorkeling in Bonaire. Also, have heard great things about the soft sand and beautiful waters of Anguilla.

Our preference would be an "ocean beachfront property" where we could just walk out of our room and be steps from a nice swimming beach - with snorkeling either right there or easily accessible. Maybe even either a Restaurant on the premises or within walking distance.

We "may" end up going to back to St. John. But, we are feeling that we "need" to explore other options.

Any advice out there regarding these particular islands or any others??

Thanks,
Sue & Jim
poidog

Re: Anguilla, Bonaire - other?

Post by poidog »

If you are a diver Bonaire is a must!
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

We are just snorkelers....
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

Anguilla is indeed beautiful. Lovely beaches, blue water, friendly people. Not nearly as mountainous as St John. Fabulous restaurants as well. There are some definite upscale beachfront resorts as well as villas to rent.

Planning is always fun!
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Planning is fun??? Not so much, for me - at the beginning.
Always stressed that we will make the "wrong" decision.....

We love the Virgin Islands so much. But, know that we really should "venture out" from our "comfort zone", a bit.

Prices look pretty high there on Anguilla. Looks like I got my work cut out for me. Bonaire looks more affordable - unless I could get a steal on a place in Anguilla.

We are not really "Mexico" people. Have never been NOR ever cared to go there. But, might need to check out Isla Mujeres based on other threads on this forum.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We've had our eye on a trip to Anguilla for almost 10 years. We wanted to stay at a condo on Shoal Bay. You walk right out your door onto a beautiful beach. The beaches and water look beautiful and there are many good restaurants on the island. We looked into snorkeling and there was some, although it sounded like it may not be as extensive as the British and U.S. Virgins. However...we never booked due to the spike in crime (gangs/drugs/guns), which seems to be even worse now (if you can believe what you read online). In 2013, there were reports of armed robberies, including a hold up during dinner at Blanchards (their book is "A Trip to the Beach" - great read). There was also a hold-up of tourists at an isolated beach. Other people post about their great trips with no issues. Some stay at the big resorts and feel safe. You may want to read up on it and determine if you are comfortable.

We went to Bonaire about 20 years ago. The snorkeling was absolutely fabulous. Its a very dry island, which means little runoff and crystal clear water. Visibility was incredible, coral was impressive and lots of sealife to be seen. I read they had some damage to their reefs from Lenny in 1999, however, I've talked to people (divers) who have been there more recently and they said the diving is incredible. There are lots of dive boats that go out every day, and some of them go to spots where you can snorkel. There is a park called Slagbaii that was undeveloped back then, but it had awesome snorkeling as well. Unfortunately, I have read that there has been an increase in petty theft from the beach, even sunglasses and hats. I don't know how extensive this problem is, so you may want to look at the Bonaire forums.

For a place right on a beautiful beach and great snorkeling, you might consider Grand Cayman. Its not as pretty as the Virgins - flat and scrubby - but the water was so clear and there were tons of fish. We went many years ago, and mostly went diving on that trip, but I think there is good snorkeling too. I have read that the island has gone mostly upscale, but there are some reasonable places to stay. We looked at the Cayman Kai side of the island since there is snorkeling right off the beach.

We've been going to the BVIs and USVIs every year for about 8 years now, and we've been to 16 other islands. Other places we are considering are the Bay islands of Honduras, Costa Rica, Belize, Bequia, Nevis, Turks and Caicos.

Of course, I recognize I probably didn't help you narrow it down, but happy planning anyway :)
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thank you so much. The more information, the better. I will check out your Grand Cayman suggestion. I appreciate all the detailed comments on the islands.

Looks like I have a LOT of research to do......
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

We have been to Anguilla 6 times between 2004 and 2010. The beaches are gorgeous and there are lots of villas and hotels on the beach. Lots of great restaurants but no town like Cruz Bay to walk around. The snorkeling is adequate at best. There were no major crime problems then but maybe it has gotten worse. We love Anguilla but STJ has more to offer for us!
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks for the replies. I wouldn't be surprised at all, if after I do I bunch of research, that we end up back "home" on St. John next year, too!!!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

I have never been to either but after reading Vicki's blog she used to post here, Anguilla has me intrigued. Get a cup of coffee and pull up a chair. Her writing and pictures and adventures sucked me into several hours of pleasurable reading.

http://vicki-h.travellerspoint.com/co/8/
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Thanks, Cindy!

Looks like you just provided me with my "homework" for the night. It is KILLING me not being able to take the time to read it now. I am "supposed" to be working!!

I remember Vicky and all of her great trip reports.

Thank you so much for sending me the link.

Like I said, I am "totally" messed up about what we should do next year. But, thanks for taking the time to provide that info for me. I always remember her incredible photos and sense of humor.

Thanks,
Sue
jmq

Post by jmq »

Hello Sue – re "other" island possibilities/experiences, I am patiently waiting for the new airport on St. Vincent to open that will be able to take big jets, and suspect that when it does, there might be some decent airfare deals to be had, or at least it will make a LOT less onerous and time consuming to get to Bequia as I would prefer to avoid those inter-island airlines (SVG and Liat) down there.

Why Bequia? It looks beautiful, and if various trip reports (maybe one or two posted here over the years?), blogs, and articles like this one are to be believed, is sometimes compared to simpler times in the VIs in terms of the vibe etc.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... sland.html

Re the St. Vincent airport, supposedly they are shooting for a late 2014 opening, so in island time, that means 2015 or 2016 :lol:
Looks like they still have a LOT of work to do :)
http://www.caribjournal.com/2013/11/12/ ... ompletion/
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Hi, jmq!

Wow - is all that I can say!!! Guess that island gets put on the "Bucket List".

It looks stunning - with simple charm!

As always, Thanks!

Sue
jerseygirl062

Post by jerseygirl062 »

Sorry didn't reply sooner we were away on Virgin Gorda last week. We too are long time St.John visitors but for our 25th anniversary trip wanted to try something different and went to Bonaire. We don't dive but really enjoyed the snorkeling right off the beach. It's different in that at most reefs you need to get past some Hard coral rubble so we bought hard sole booties and rented open back fins. The snorkeling and sightseeing in the National park is great,the snorkeling on Klein Bonaire and Lac Bay is terrific and these 3 spots are soft sand entry. We stayed in a house right off something special dive sight and it was so cool to slip right off our backyard dock and into great snorkeling. We saw an octopus right off yourself. I post more on tripadvisor and lurk here so I'm not sure how to pm. If interested pm me I'm jerseygirl 062 both places and I'd gladly send you some pics. We loved our week there you don't have the beautiful green hills of St. John but the National park is beautiful, the birds are beautiful , good restaurants and superb snorkeling.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Anguilla has a lot going for it but the snorkeling does compare to the VIs. I will post more when I am a real key board on Monday.