Time for a new underwater camera

Travel discussion for St. John
michigan girls

Time for a new underwater camera

Post by michigan girls »

I could send back my Kodak Playsport yet again, as it is still under warranty from the last replacement, but I think I'm just done with it.

So today I have been researching my options. I'm leaning towards the Nikon Coolpix AW110. Mostly because I love Nikon and the price is right. Anyone have any experience with this model?

I loved the ease of use and the photos my Playsport produced, but I had a hard time getting the waterproof doors to the memory card and charger open every single time, something I would like to avoid if possible. I also could never really see the LCD screen when underwater.

Would like to stay under $300 if possible.

shoemak38

Re: Time for a new underwater camera

Post by shoemak38 »

This is new
Olympus Stylus TG-850 IHS 16 MP Digital Camera (Black) $249

Give me 10 days and I'll tell you how it works
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

shoemak38 wrote:This is new
Olympus Stylus TG-850 IHS 16 MP Digital Camera (Black) $249

Give me 10 days and I'll tell you how it works
Excellent, I'm planning on buying in a couple weeks, so 10 days is just fine :)
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Hi michigan girls,

I have that Nikon camera. I bought two of them for last summer's trip. One of them flooded on the first snorkel. That is why I bought two :) It takes very nice underwater photos. It is very light and easy to use, with a big viewfinder screen.

I just bought the olympus camera that shoemaker38 talked about for my upcoming trip. It looked appealing to me because you can set it to take widescreen photos. We have a screening room in my house and the photos from this setting will fill the whole screen. Honestly that is the only reason I bought it. I will report back after next week.

I also have the Canon D20. It is fine. I think the pictures sometimes look ever so slightly fuzzy around the edges. It is not noticeable when posting them to the forum, but I sometimes see it when looking at them on the movie screen. I will also mention that this is, I think, my fourth D20. Like the D10 before it, these models seem to be prone to flooding. Canon is good about replacing the flooded cameras but it does get old after a while.

After this menagerie of cameras all die (and it's only a matter of time until they do) I am going back to the Canon powershot with seperate underwater housing like I used to have. Yes, it is bulkier and more expensive, but I never lost a camera to flooding with that setup, and I was always really happy with my pictures.

Hope that helps a bit.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
RickG

Post by RickG »

My old Canon powershot (with CF memory) and a separate case takes my best photos and has never flooded. It's probably not going to get wet again since my GoPro works almost as well and takes great video.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
jmq

Post by jmq »

Looks like they all have their weak and strong points, and indeed the Nikon is noted as a great value.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/2013-wa ... roundup/18

http://waterproof-camera-review.toptenreviews.com/

Like Becky has had, I have an ancient Canon point n shoot that I use in an equally ancient underwater housing I got cheap on Ebay (used once, owner realized he didnt really like snorkeling LOL). Bulky to transport, so when the PowerShot dies or housing leaks, I may look to the GoPro as Rick suggests.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

Note that in Feb "Action camera manufacturer GoPro filed plans for an initial public offering, or IPO, as the company ratchets up plans for expansion and maintaining its industry-leader reputation."

That could be a very interesting stock to watch...
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have an older Olympus Tough 8000 I think it is...we bought it in 09..infact we bought when Royal Carribbean was still in Mongoose...we opted to buy the underwater housing as our first had flooded 2 times and it was about the same cost as the camera itself...we still use it and it works perfect.. I do believe the housing made a big difference even though they are close to the cost of the camera...we use it not only on STJ but here at home in the pool and any other extra trips we get to take during the year..When it kicks the bucket and we buy again...I will opt for the extra housing and will probably look at Olympus again...
[/url]
gmanka

Post by gmanka »

Olympus TG 3. Another in their tough line. Amazing photos comes to the beach, hunting fishing and rarely leaves my truck. Shoots video, panorama and has several special features that I have not learned to use yet. For specialty work I also have a Nikonos but the large flash attachment makes it cumbersome. But having said that the Nikonos does not have depth limits. Snorkeling can't beat the Olympus, scuba diving I go back to the Nikonos.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

We have had several so called waterproof cameras and housings, and they all leak. Our latest solution is a waterproof Olympus TG-630 (I think that's the number) that we use in an underwater housing. I don't think the camera alone can scuba dive, but the housing can. If the housing leaks, the waterproof camera has a chance of surviving. While the camera itself cannot stand the pressure of scuba diving, even if the housing leaks, the camera will get wet, but there will probably not be sufficient pressure inside the case to force water past the seals. We also use the housing when snorkeling. Why? I'm glad you asked. Again, if the housing leaks the camera still has a chance of surviving. Also, if it doesn't leak, we don't have all that salt water against the camera. I think the small deposits of salt and debris accumulate and cause leaks later.

Good luck with your search.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

We're in the exact same boat with the Kodak Playsport. Salt water causes the access doors to seize. We've got two of them all wadded up from visits to St John. I go after them with screwdrivers or rental Jeep keys to try to snap them open. :shock:

I'll be watching this post and doing some shopping for next year...
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Me too!!! We're in the market for a new camera for our upcoming trip. Want a camera that's not only good underwater, but above as well. GREAT options so far!
StMax

Post by StMax »

I use the next to newest generation Olympus tough series. I only snorkel, no scuba. No problems in salt, bur follow manufactures directions to properly rinse after each use. Other benefits include all sorts of other outdoor activities........skiing, hiking, football games, activities around pool, etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398389889.041840.jpg
. A sample of camera at work in Maho Bay.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

RickG wrote:My old Canon powershot (with CF memory) and a separate case takes my best photos and has never flooded. It's probably not going to get wet again since my GoPro works almost as well and takes great video.

Cheers, RickG
Rick, do you have the add on LCD screen for your GoPro?
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We love having our cannon and housing. We can dive with it as well. The housing is nice to protect the camera during the trip as well and we don't carry a bulky camera bag, just slip it into a sock.