What to do with your gear

Travel discussion for St. John
jsauls1

What to do with your gear

Post by jsauls1 »

When visiting the different beaches for the day how safe is it to leave your gear such as backpack , towels , shoes on your blanket. Do you need to lock your gear someway ?
michigan girls

Re: What to do with your gear

Post by michigan girls »

I would say that 99.9% of the time it is safe. That said, however, we use a KYSS bag and lock it up to a tree when we're out snorkeling. I bring my very good camera with me to the beach, so it's worth it to me to be able to enjoy my snorkel without worrying about it. We don't put shoes or towels in there, just the camera, car key, wallet, etc.

A determined thief could still get in by slashing the bag, but it prevents "grab and go" type situations. If you want more security, you could get a pacsafe bag.

Be more worried about making sure your food is secured from the mongoose :)
psufan

Post by psufan »

We use one of the PacSafe bags. Looks like they may be discontinuing the model we have but they have others. It isn't foolproof but it will deter the snatch and grabs as michigangirls said. We have never had issues but every once and awhile you hear about thefts at Salt Pond Bay. Have witnessed food snatches by mongooses and seen pictures of some pretty bold donkeys. :D
adsjayhawk

Post by adsjayhawk »

It's very safe. I leave my wallet in the car, but everything else is in my backpack hanging in the trees, including my good camera. Never had a problem on any beach.
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

As a former resident, I would leave nothing that is of value. Don't believe that St John is the 'safer" VI.
inuny

Post by inuny »

We also use the pacsafe for keys, wallet and phone. I wouldn't leave anything of value in the car (particularly at Salt pond).
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I wouldn't advise leaving a wallet in your jeep. In addition, I wouldn't advise bringing a wallet with you when you leave your villa/hotel. My (very classy) wallet on vacation is a zip lock bag with my drivers license, Visa and some cash. You don't really need anything else, and you'll limit what you have to replace if the worst happens.
dewey77

Post by dewey77 »

I usually will plant my stuff close to, but not on top of, someone and ask if they could keep an eye on my stuff. When on a beach solo, I just leave it and hope for the best.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

I usually bring a waterproof wallet into the water with me, but today I lost my ID, credit card, and a good bit of money, so I won't be doing that anymore. :evil: Thanks for the alternate ideas, everyone.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We usually use a water proof wallet with cards and a little cash..and the keys of course..and either clip it on our suits or I wiggle it around my wrist..its tight and wont come off...I think we got it at Wally for about 5 bucks...its actually a cell phone case..works great...unless you do like hubby did on our last trip...we were snorkeling with the McKibbens and he forgot to snap it to his suit...we swam for about an hr and he stopped and asked me if I had it..I said no...and about had heart failure...it was out first full day there and we had a good bit of cash in it..he swam to shore really quick...and there were 2 older couples on the beach...one of the ladies saw it and swam out to get it...they checked the ID and realized it was us...they waited for us and returned it...I offered them some cash but they wouldnt take it...Later we saw them at Skinny's and bought them a round of drinks...moral of the story...be sure to clip it on something..and it should be fine...the good camera we usually leave where we are staying and hide it unless we are just out for pictures..hope this helps...
[/url]
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

I also use a KYSS bag for my camera, money, phone, keys. The first few times I went to STJ I would leave my stuff on the beach and go snorkeling and never had a problem. But I figured all it takes is one theft to ruin a great day, so I got a bag. This way our whole group can go out for a snorkel or a hike without worrying about our phones and other stuff.

I think most thieves will take the path of least resistance and wouldn't take the time to cut the chain, slash open the bag, or try to figure out the combo.
Joppa

Post by Joppa »

One time while snorkeling far from shore I turned and saw someone where our stuff was. It appeared they were checking out our stuff. There was nothing of value there so I didn't worry. We carry our keys, money, ID's, and credit cards in a dry bag that my husband wears around his waist.
kklay

Post by kklay »

I have watched other people's belongings from time to time when they wanted to snorkel or swim for a bit and I was sitting on the beach. I guess I look pretty honest and/or after they heard our group talk a bit (there are usually 8+ of us), they figure we are trustworthy! Now I will say on these occasions, the couple would only be gone for 30-45 minutes at the most.
nascarfan59

Post by nascarfan59 »

I bury an Otter Box in the sand with my keys, a little cash, cell phone, a CC and my DL. The camera is waterproof so it goes with us.

God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

nikkiki wrote:I usually bring a waterproof wallet into the water with me, but today I lost my ID, credit card, and a good bit of money, so I won't be doing that anymore. :evil: Thanks for the alternate ideas, everyone.
I was paranoid about theft and had my husband and son put their iphones in a "waterproof" case. Maho Bay-2....Iphones-0. :?
Would have better off leaving them under a seat in the car or something..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."