California Girls Trip Report - Part 3 - The Villa w/ Pics

Travel discussion for St. John
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

I am confused CV......caribbean villa's and they do a 5% markup?
Since I am suggesting my buddies head to STJ in Feb just wondering.
I have had people go thru Donald Schnell directly and not sure they got a markup and also have recommended
great caribbean getaways (the one that david redinger has)..........their office was above pollies......
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

Ksea wrote:I enjoyed your report and all the pics. That contraption on the patio is so Beverly Hillbillies! Sorry about all the mosquitos and fleas...that is a bummer.
Ksea - You "nailed" it (pun intended!) Beverly Hillbillies is exactly what I was calling it. Either that or a "redneck loveseat". LOL! :lol:
California Girl

designbyroe wrote:I am confused CV......caribbean villa's and they do a 5% markup?
Well, it's not exactly a "markup". They call it a "service charge". My opinion is that CV still has some of the most reasonable prices, even WITH the service charge, but like others on this forum, now that I've experienced using CV, I'm wondering what qualifies as "service"?????

P.S. Even though Judy was in a spot with her other visitors coming in right after us, we sort of got the "bum's rush". I don't blame it on Judy, I blame it on CV for not having more staff to cover situations like ours.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Hubby and I stayed at Bayview the 2 weeks prior to Calif Girl's arrival and we completely agree with her assessment. The views are awesome, the 2 decks are wonderful and the house is just ok. Our first week there, it was very cool, rainy and windy most days, so we couldn't really enjoy the deck at night. The second week was "attack of the mosquitos" and we couldn't be outside then either.
Also agree about the BHB loveseat on the porch. They really need to do something about it. The legs were no longer functional on the loveseat, so they built this frame that the loveseat rests on. At least they could have painted it to look nicer.
The location was great for us - just a few minutes to beaches and to Coral Bay. I don't know if I would stay on Ajax Mtn again. We had so much wind, fog and rain and the pool water was cold. Perhaps it was just unusual weather that week and perhaps later in the year it would be ok.
Despite everything... the price is right (even with the service charge) on this villa if you don't mind the downsides.
We had a good experience with Judy, the greeter from CV. We wanted to do some grocery shopping and other stuff before we went to the villa, so we just coordinated with Judy and met her at the smoothie stand when we were done in Cruz Bay. She showed us around the villa and told us a lot about it. She gave us a sheet with some suggested restaurants and other things.
We had toilet problems - it stopped up twice - and the property manager (who lives right up the hill) came down and brought a plunger immediately. Other renters had written in the guest book about problems with the toilet, so this seems to be an on-going problem. I wouldn't rent BayView again for that reason.
Calif Girl - we left you a few things - hope you got them!
California Girl

B&J in VA wrote:We had toilet problems - it stopped up twice - and the property manager (who lives right up the hill) came down and brought a plunger immediately. Other renters had written in the guest book about problems with the toilet, so this seems to be an on-going problem.

Calif Girl - we left you a few things - hope you got them!
Sorry for my slow response on this one! The toilet stopped up on us too, but there was a plunger next to it, so I just unplugged it myself. (Not a task I enjoy, especially while on vacation!) I never did find the guest book, but found lots of binders with restaurant menus (outdated in most cases - but still helpful in choosing a place to eat with picky eaters in our small entourage).

I'm not sure what you left us, we found 2 bottles of water, some peanut butter and some herbed cheese spread in the fridge and lots of coffee in the freezer - was that Kiss of the Jumbie? I used that all up!

Thanks!
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

The reason they charge the 5% is they don't have to split that with the owner. The owners that I know are not happy about it.
FlaGeorge

Post by FlaGeorge »

Good job CC. Really enjoyed reading the reporta and looking at the pictures. Maybe in the "Not so far off future" we can hook up with you on-island. Then there is always getting together in CA. Thanks

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:59 am.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"