Trip Report 4/13- 4/24

Travel discussion for St. John
Agent99

Trip Report 4/13- 4/24

Post by Agent99 »

We take off tomorrow, Sunday at 9am- Jet Blue out of Boston.

Those of you who have been on the forum for a while may remember that I used to consider myself somewhat of a control freakish over planner. But that's all in the past. I've learned my lesson. My boys are all grown up now and I have nothing to do with their packing, prep, musical instrument transportation, etc. I'm all packed and nobody else is and I'm fine with that. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Since we are leaving on a Sunday, we have the luxury of a whole Saturday to check, check, double check. Wait, that's just me. So in true vacation celebration mode Pete (DH aka Agent 86) fixed me a Bloody Maria for breakfast. Wise move. The delicious day buzz this has produced has inspired me to jump start my trip report, since apparently I cannot/will not jumpstart any other vacation related (macking= man packing) action around here. All I have on my schedule today is a mani/pedi. I can't say that every day. I've buttoned up as much as possible with work and am officially, almost, on vacation.
Last edited by Agent99 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loria

Re: Minus 24 Hours

Post by loria »

99 ! we are literally right behind you! we land tomorrow at 3:15-- if you have a chance for a drink would love to meet you!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Woot! Excited for y'all! Have a fantastic trip!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks CT and Ioria that would be so fun!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

OH!!!
The excitement!!!!!!
So hard to sleep the night before.
I'm very excited for yous guys, and for your hopeful interaction with folks down there with the forum family.
Let the good times roll,- It's Island Time.
Smiles-
MJ
MadCityMom

Post by MadCityMom »

Please give us your fantastic real time reports! Have a great trip! :D. I need to get through the next 11 days!
Agent99

Re: Trip Report 4/13- 4/24

Post by Agent99 »

Falling down on the job already! But I forgive myself because I can say with all honesty that this has been the best beginning of a trip that has ever been from my point of view. Every little ting has gone smoothly and I'm not the least bit stressed about leaving work. It might have something to do with firing an impossible to please client that would have ruined my vacation. Boy that felt good.

So that Saturday to decompress and double check was aces for me. We each had our own carry on and then we checked one big duffle with snorkel gear, sunscreen, extra books, etc. Jet Blue only charged $3 to check the bag that had to be just shy of 50 lbs. Flight was smooth and on time and Amy from Amalie greeted us at the sidewalk just past the welcome rum hut. She drove Pete over to Emerald Beach to pick up the spankin new cheery red Jeep while Quinn grabbed the duffle, Luke stayed with the bags and mom hit duty free for supplies. Efficiency squared.

For us, it was the first time renting the jeep on STT. We are converts! All of the great reviews for Amalie Car Rental convinced us to give it a go. Those reviews together with the cab fare per person in a hot van stuffed with fellow touri- the ferry fare per person plus bags and tips and schlepping everything on off and on and off and we will never go back to the other way. It was such a breeze! Sunday meant no challenging traffic and within 20 minutes or so we were stocking up on snacks, mixers and water at the Food Market near Red Hook. Our flight touched down just before one- (a few minutes early) and we were comfortably early for the 3 pm car barge. Even had time for a hot dog and first official magical rum punch from the bar at the people ferry, Quin's. So glad we gave renting on STT a go!

By 3:30 we were checking into what has come to feel like our home away from home, Gallows Point. Our favorite unit up until this point has been 15C. Not because of its amenities or appointments but position on the point facing both STT and into the harbor. 15C was booked so we opted for 14 C which we've decided we like even better. It sits forward a bit and we can still see STT and back into Cruz Bay and it is more private. It is decorated beautifully and so far it's been 2 for 2 hits in trying new things. Be warned, the 6 :00am ferry is on time so if you are not early risers you will hear it. But you will hear it in any of the Gallows units- harbor or ocean. It's a matter of degree. We live on a harbor at home so we like the bustle.

Here are the utes all growed up in 10C.

And first night sunset enjoyed with Joe's BBQ take out.

Yesterday we followed our usual first day ritual with a new addition. We had breakfast at the new Landing where JJ's used to be. It looks fantastic! Totally remodeled and a tiki style thatched roof bar added outside. Breakfast was great. The Landing has already become a new favorite- and the park looks great too. Cruz Bay is looking spiffy.

After breakfast we spent the rest of the morning and afternoon at Gibney. No photos because the place is burned into my heart and I just wanted to sit and soak it in. I did not even read. Just looked and looked and thanked the universe for everything.

On the way to Shipwreck Landing for a late lunch we detoured to see if we could find Island Fancy of Grandma Raised the Roof fame. We found what I guessed to be one of the out buildings near the Francis parking lot but we did not want to trespass so we did not look any further. I will stop at the park service to see if we can have a look since someone said it belongs to them now. Would also be fun to find Sand Fly Villa if it still exists. I'll report back with the fruits of my sleuthage.

No one felt like gussying up for dinner so we ordered in- a crispy and delicious Caprese style pizza from Joe's Rum Hut. Hot tub, a swim and bed.

The weather is glorious. No telling where today will go but when I find out I'll tell you!

Here's a shot from this morning's 30 second rain shower taken from the table from which I am sipping my coffee. Can it really get better than this? I think not.

Last edited by Agent99 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

keep them coming :D :D :D
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

Ahhh....... What a great way for us here "on the mainland" to start the day - with lovely views of St. John.

Yay, you!!!

We are "wheels up" in 2 mornings!! Lovely spot at Gallows. LOVE your attitude.

Enjoy!!

Sue
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nice start!

If you have a late beach day, consider the “no shower happy hour” on the way back to Gallows. Driver drops the crew, crew places drivers drink and app order and saves a seat with a view at the Beach Bar or Rum Hut, driver drops the car at Gallows, hustles down to said bar. Apps and drinks enjoyed, staggered return to Gallows to clean up for dinner (stagger = as in the timing of returns i.e. who takes longest to get ready goes back first, OR, stagger = as in the pattern of walking back up to Gallows, or both :D )
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
dctac

Post by dctac »

Ok, I'm a bit sad. I'm sittin in Palm Beach Airport after a week on the beach on the inlet and as much as I love singer island I wish I'd done the extra flight to Gallows. Thanks for the report. I'll have to wait till feb....
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Ahhh BEAUTIFUL morning view with rainbow! :)
Look forward to reading more as you report...ENJOY!!! :D
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

I have always loved your trip reports. Glad you had no stress getting there this time. You have a beautiful family. Looking forward to the rest.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Looking forward to your daily reports...love it!
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Thanks you guys! Always fun to share a real time trip report. I never was able to manage putting one together after the fact and I do have fun re-reading them with all of your comments in the depths of the New England winter. It helps!

The "No Shower Happy Hour"! I'm sensing a new tradition in the making!

So, yesterday was about as perfect a day as I could dream of. How often in your life can you ask yourself- "If I could be anywhere on earth with anyone on earth where would I be and who would I be with" and actually be there with them? Just saying- days just don't get better than this in my book.

Some of you in New England who are in the midst of vacation prep might benefit from this tip. BJ's is selling a package of Neutrogena spray on sun screen- 2 cans of spray on and a tube of 30 ultra sheer and a travel size and lip protection. I bought 8 of them because, as I have mentioned previously, we really need it. Anyway, it's a pretty good deal if you are in the market for 20 cans of sunscreen. That said, Luke got a weirdly blotchy burn on his arms and legs that's never happened before. Maybe he didn't shake it? I don't know.

Anyway, we decided to seek a shady beach. Yesterday at Gibney, looking over to Hawksnest it looked really crowded by STJ standards, while Gibney had a total of about 12 people all in. However, scoping further with the binocs it appeared that all the way to the left, if you are facing the water there was a beautiful and empty niche. Yesterday we decided to check that out and sure enough found our own little private Idaho at the very end of Hawksnest. The way the beach curves around you could not even see the crowded part of the beach. Entry into the water is difficult on this end because it's rocky but there was plenty of shade and privacy. So we staked our claim and spent the next several hours hanging out. We'd pick up Sam and Jack's sandwiches (Jacksons) and I fixed us up a delicious concoction with the tropical juices in the fridge.

The air and the sky are crystal clear- it feels like the humidity must be zero. I cannot remember that we've ever had more beautiful weather. I did get munched by mosquitos though. Must have been when we were at the pool at night because I didn't see or feel them. Of course there might have been another explanation why I did not feel the pain.

Dinner! Curious about the lively and contradictory reviews of Da Livio, I was super looking forward to trying it out. Put me in the "Love It" club. In 15 years that we've been coming to STJ, this meal is in the top two, the other being Tage around 2005 or 2006. I read that the owner is from the Como area. We've spent time in Bellagio and Letto and thoroughly researched our restaurant choices beforehand. . DaLivios is easily every bit as good as our meals all over Italy. There is definitely a northern flair which is not so tomato heavy as the southern dishes. The pastas were perfectly al dente and the sauces both rich and delicate at the same time. How is that possible?

The portions are perfect, imo. The only thing we got a kick out of was our shared appetizer of Fromaggio Bitto $16. It's very hard like a great parmesan. The flavor was subtle and delish and I'm certain it was the best of the best but it just seemed a little amusing to us that this tiny slice of cheese was $16. Must be the Beluga of cheese. That's the only criticism I have and it isn't really even a criticism- just an observation.

We tried the Ravioli with spinach and ricotta with a sage and butter sauce, Tagliatelle with chestnut and boar sauce, Pappardelle bolognese and the special spinach pasta in a cream sauce. All perfect, beautifully served and delicious. We shared a nice bottle of Italian Chardonnay and then a velvety tiramisu for dessert. Best meal on island in a very long time. The decor is modern and cool. I hope they do very well. Our friends arrive today and we'll definitely go back with them before we leave.

After dinner we relaxed between the hot tub and the pool. I think it was there that I was munched upon. No one else got bit. Hope those mosquitos enjoyed that nice Italian Chardonnay that was coursing through my veins! It was a beautiful day and beautiful night. Here is a shot of what our private Idaho looked like on Hawksnest. You'd never know the rest of the beach was crowded.

Last edited by Agent99 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.