Advice on Tree House Mamey Peak

Travel discussion for St. John
beebs

Advice on Tree House Mamey Peak

Post by beebs »

Hi all! I'm new to the boards and in the process of planning my first vacation to St. John. I'll be visiting in June with my 72 year old (active) mother and 14 year old son.

After MUCH research I'd like to know if anyone has stayed at Tree House and what they have to say about it. The price is very attractive to me, but I'm nervous about the lack of reviews available and the lack of air conditioning. I'm a healthy 42 year old female dealing with hot flashes and the insomnia that comes along with them :evil:

It would be great to have separate bedrooms for the 3 of us and for everyone to have their own bathroom. I also love the view that Tree House offers.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to offer! Thanks in advance!
david@va.beach

Re: Advice on Tree House Mamey Peak

Post by david@va.beach »

O.K. I'll start...St. john is a mountanous rugged somewhat backwards beautiful island. We had friends that stayed at tree house about 10 yrs. ago(there is a large very tasty lime tree next door).. If you are ready for exciting steep switchback roads,lizzards,bugs ,occasioal scorpions,goats,heavenly views,bottled water,having to drive wherever you want to go----then you,ve found a good place---if not, you might want to consider the cruzbay end of the island and one of the hotels/condos there. The beauty of st. john can be otherworldly(always has been to our familly),but it can be intimidating and boring to others...you have a rather diverse group with you,hope this helped.
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

We rented without a/c in the bedrooms our first trip. Never again. If it rains everything gets damp. Hard to sleep that way. Sofa, clothes, bedding, towels, everything! I think if you get it in the bedrooms at least you can sleep. At least that is what we are hoping for this trip.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

I have never been to Tree House but had friends whop rented on Mamey Peak in Feb and said they did not need air conditioning- very cool at night. However, if you think you want to go out at night to restaurants the drive too Cruz Bay or Coral Bay could be daunting at night.
steveo2916

Post by steveo2916 »

I stayed at Tree House my very first trip to St. John almost 30 years ago. It's a rustic home with fabulous views and great breezes. I never missed A/C during my visit. The home is quite "livable" but there are inside stairs to reach the multiple levels. When we were there, the driveway up was steep and bumpy but not an issue with a 4wd vehicle. Mary Phyllis and Private Homes is a delight and have rented from her many times (at the time she lived right below Tree House). Have fun when you visit! I'll be on island in August with my daughter and can't wait!

SteveO.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have looked into it because the price and view make it really attractive. It doesn't work for me because the master bedroom is accessed by walking outside and I have 2 young children I wouldn't be able to hear in the night. But, that may work for your travel companions.
If you go to YouTube and search for it, someone had a video up showing a tour of the villa. It looks old and dated, but the view is gorgeous. So, if furnishings take a back burner to view, you may get a big bank for your buck with this house. Just make sure your mom is Ok with stairs in the villa.
I have not stayed on Mamey Peak, but on Bordeaux Mtn I found it even a little chilly at night, so don't rule it out based on AC alone.
Tickerless :(
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Many agree that a/c is only a necessity in the summer...in June, I would want it.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

This summer will be our family's 4th trip...all have been in June!
The villas we have stayed in have had nice breezes in the evenings, but to me, they sometimes feel humid...if that makes sense? So for me to get a good night's sleep, a/c is a MUST in the bedrooms!

Good luck with your decision and no matter what...you all are going to have a Fantastic 1st trip! :)
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Never stayed at Tree House, but it looks like an incredibly good deal to me. It's clearly an "older" home (by St. John standards), which is probably why it is so affordable. As @gottogetaway commented, you have to decide if the view is more important than the decor. No matter how carefully it is cleaned and maintained, properties in a tropical climate start to look a little worn after a few years. Doesn't bother me at all, but YMMV.

As for A/C being a necessity - the altitude makes a HUGE difference. I'm a wuss about sleeping in the heat and would never rent a low-altitude villa without A/C in the bedroom. But it is at least 5 degrees cooler on the mountaintops and the breeze never stops. I've stayed in A/C-less mountaintop villas twice in July and would not hesitate to do it again. With the windows open and the fans going, it cools right down. Even in summer, we were sleeping under blankets by morning on Bordeaux Mountain. Recently stayed on Ajax Peak in March and we had to dig out extra blankets from the closets! The temps were down into the '60's by morning.

For me, the main concern about Tree House is all the stairs, which are hard for my older husband. No matter how sprightly your Mom is, the stairs might start to wear on her after a while. I think you are mistaken about the lack of interior access to the master bedroom. I spent quite a while looking at this place online trying to puzzle out the multi-level design, and I came to the conclusion that all the levels are connected by interior stairs. If that's your biggest issue, ask the owners.

The question of whether you would be happier closer to town is a completely different one that you should figure out before you start comparing villas. There is endless discussion about that question on the forums, so I'm not going to go into it here. I prefer the more remote locations myself.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I found the video I previously watched.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oeB0IHsBeA

After watching it again, I realized that to access 2 of the 3 bedrooms you have to walk outside. Granted, it isn't far, but for me (with 2 young kids) it crossed the house off my list.
So the house is set up as entering on main level (with 1 full size bedroom and 2 bathrooms). You can go down the stairs to a sitting area with a deck and hot tub and washer/dryer. One bedroom is accessed off that deck. If you go back up the stairs (passed the main level) to the 3rd level you find the kitchen and the main deck where you access the master bedroom. From the kitchen level you go up more set of stairs to a sitting area with TV. That a lot of stairs. Keep in mind anyone in the outside bedrooms would have to come inside in the night and either go up or down stairs to use a bathroom.
Also, during his tour he does mention that with the fans on and windows open (in October), the temperature was fine. He mentions mosquitos, but that can be very dependent on rain.
I think watching the video with your mom and son to get their opinions on the house and if it would work for all of you may be a wise choice. But, wow, that view is great.
(I just found this video on YouTube, I have nothing to do with it and don't know who made it.)
Tickerless :(
beebs

Post by beebs »

I'm ok with a remote location. I work with people all day, every day. When I go on vacation I rent villas away from the main hub of activity so that I can get away from it all. I also live that way at home....out in the country on 3 acres down the scariest road to drive down in town. I'm not afraid of a crazy drive and I'm not worried about remote locations....other than it sounds like there is only one gas station on the island?

I saw where the guy mentioned the mosquitos in the video. I have a terrible reaction to mosquito bites. I figure that could come into play no matter where we stay on the island?

I'm so excited about our first trip to visit St. John! This forum is a wonderful discovery. I've learned so much since I stumbled across it. Thanks for all of the input!