Trip report - spring break with kids 3/27 - 4/2

Travel discussion for St. John
Charlie2001

Trip report - spring break with kids 3/27 - 4/2

Post by Charlie2001 »

I took my 17 year old daughter and 13 year old son down for spring break. We stayed at Egret's Rest at Grande Bay http://www.vrbo.com/437202 and cannot say enough about how perfect the unit was for our needs. The reserved parking space plus the ability to easily walk all over Cruz Bay whenever we wanted made it a perfect home-base for us.

As background, my wife and I usually visit in June/July and stay in a villa, but this was the first time I took the kids down for a visit. It was very interesting how you can have two very different vacation experiences at the same destination. The temperature is slightly lower, much lower humidity, and the air much more clear than summertime when the Sahara dust is in play. On the down side, there were so many more people around, including the hordes of cruise ship day trippers and their open air taxis all over the North Shore.

The weather was perfect during our stay, only two very brief showers. It's pretty evident that it's been dry down there, as the island wasn't nearly as green as it's been on prior trips. We were there during the period of large swells, and headed to the south shore to get some beach time while the north shore was being pounded.

I won't bore you with day to day details. We visited nearly every one of the main beaches on the island except Salt Pond and Hansen. We rented stand-up paddleboards at Cinnamon Bay, and a 16 foot dinghy from Noah's Little Arks. We ate at many places throughout Cruz Bay, also at Skinny Legs and the Tourist Trap. My son loved conch fritters, and feasted on mahi every chance he got.

My wife and I are returning alone in August and staying out in Chocolate Hole. This is a first for me, two trips in one year. That's probably the only saving grace that allowed me to choke back the tears on the ferry as we left on Wednesday.
shoemak38

Re: Trip report - spring break with kids 3/27 - 4/2

Post by shoemak38 »

:D :D
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Please bore us with the day to day details :lol: It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! I always like to hear what beaches people liked best, and of course, what they ate.
ShaSha

Post by ShaSha »

Thank-You for your time to give us your trip report! But I too love to hear which beach you and your family liked this trip and your experiences also I really enjoy hearing where people eat and what was your fav dish! Or not your favorite!! Please share!!!!
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Thanks for sharing your report, where do you plan to stay in Chocolate Hole, if I may ask?
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

Hey Terry, it's Shannon (Dawn and I went out with you guys with Captain John 2 years ago). We're staying at the same place from 2012 and 2013. http://www.longviewvilla.com

Folks, honestly, I don't recall specific days and beaches. The kids enjoyed Maho, Cinnamon, Trunk, Jumbie, Francis, and Little Lameshur by land. We went to Oppenheimer, Waterlemon, and Salomon by dinghy.

For meals, we ate at High Tide, Banana Deck, the Beach Bar, Cafe' Roma, Skinny Legs, Tourist Trap, Chateaux Bordeaux, and Margarita Phils. Each meal was very good, no disappointments. Then again, we're a low maintenance bunch and don't get worked up over slow-ish service or other minor issues.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Hi Shannon! hope you and Dawn and family are doing well! I had no idea it was you posting the TR :D . Grande Bay is a great place, we stayed at Tracy's 1 bedroom with connecting studio back in August and it was lovely, it is so convenient not having to look for parking and just a short walk back to the suite, I would think that would be the perfect set up traveling with young people. My husband love Grande Bay so much we bought a 2 week time share so we are looking forward to returning.