Question for Florida forumites

Travel discussion for St. John
Lindy

Question for Florida forumites

Post by Lindy »

Hubby and I purchase a home in Sebastian and will relocate permanently sometime in 2015. I was momentarily giddy thinking that being closer to STJ would be lower airfares and more opportunities to visit my favorite place. I was completely astounded when I checked out a few dates to see what kind of airfares to expect and found that they are considerably higher than deals that I can find from New England. :( I checked airfare out of Melbourne, Orlando, West Palm, Ft Lauderdale and Miami. The cheapest fares were out of Miami, but that's a long drive from where we will be living so I'd like to find something closer if possible. Is this the norm? Or did I just happen to look at some dates that had higher fares for various reasons? Are there any "insider" secrets to getting great airfares from Florida? Thanks in advance!!
FlaGeorge

Re: Question for Florida forumites

Post by FlaGeorge »

First, welcome to Florida. Yep, also welcome to higher airfares to get to the Caribbean. I was always jealous of the folks up north getting cheaper airfares then what we can get here in Florida. You’d think that being closer would be cheaper – nope. We live in the Tampa Bay area and have always paid a hefty price. You best bet would be to go out of Orlando.
FlaGeorge

"Swim Against The Current - Even a Dead Fish Can Go With The Flow"
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Hi Neighbor...my wife and I recently purchased a place just South of you in Vero Beach, I thought the same and unfortunately have found the prices to be the same or more than I pay when traveling from NY! What I have found... is some nice deals out of West Palm to the Bahamas :wink:
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Doesn't this just suck! :evil: We live in Panama City and have to drive to Atlanta (5 hr. drive) for our best flights! We did go to Miami one time (12 hr. drive) and did ok. This is just wrong! :evil: there needs to be a rebellion!!!! :twisted: Florida fliers unite!!! better airfares to the Caribbean!!!! What the H%#@!!!!! Good thing about living in South Florida over up north... no snow!!!! :mrgreen:
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Hey bdkane...maybe we'll run into each other someday because I'm sure I'll be hitting Vero a lot for shopping, etc. This airfare thing really bums me out!! I was all excited about getting some possible deals on airfares and this just sucks. Does ANYONE understand the logic behind the way airfares are structured??? We'll have to check into a group charter from Florida. I've been to the Bahamas and it just doesn't strike the same chord for me.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I don't know if this helps ease the pain of higher airfares...But you get really good discounts on cruises... Cap'n Dan and Ruby can vouch for this...:)
[/url]
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Lindy, I will shoot you a pm next time we head down... Vero Beach is nice little town, very quite but there are actually some places that make a great painkiller :wink:
Congrats on the new home!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

After my aunt and uncle moved to Florida, they ended up selling their St. John timeshare because the airfares were so high.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

JJShaw - I've heard about the cruise deals. I'll have to check it out with some female friends...Hubby was in the Navy for 6 years and says he's NEVER going on a ship without sight of land ever again. I either have to cruise with girlfriends or my rich second husband (when I find one).

bdkane - I may not be down there for a while. We don't close on the house for another month (by mail) and then the current owners have asked to rent it back until they can find a condo that they like. We've given them up to a year - they are late 70's and early 80's so they were thrown for a loop when their home sold so quickly. Keep me in mind though because I'd love to learn the places to go around Vero. We picked Sebastian because it's even QUIETER than Vero and close to that fantastic beach just over the Wabasso bridge.

Liamsaunt - You're making me SAD!! I'm gonna have to research further...either that or make sure my rich second husband has a private plane. :lol:
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Maybe I can help give you a ray of hope. I have found direct airfares on AA from MIA as low as $295 RT. Also, if you are up for it, Spirit has some good prices (I forget if it's from FLL or MIA). I know it's a hike from your area, but may be worth considering. Also, if you can get a sale price on Southwest to SJU, you can catch a puddle jumper for decent prices. From my experience that would put it in the $400 RT range.
I know Delta goes to ATL first, so extra gas = extra airfare. I keep looking for good Jet Blue prices but have always been disappointed.
Good luck with airfare (and the new house).
Tickerless :(
sabalpom

Post by sabalpom »

I live in the Tampa Bay area & have always booked my flights at least 10 months ahead. I booked this past Sept/2013 for my next vacation in June/2014 to STJ, flying first class for $699.00 R/T, TPA/MIA/STT. American Airlines.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

GotToGetAway wrote:Maybe I can help give you a ray of hope. I have found direct airfares on AA from MIA as low as $295 RT. Also, if you are up for it, Spirit has some good prices (I forget if it's from FLL or MIA). I know it's a hike from your area, but may be worth considering. Also, if you can get a sale price on Southwest to SJU, you can catch a puddle jumper for decent prices. From my experience that would put it in the $400 RT range.
I know Delta goes to ATL first, so extra gas = extra airfare. I keep looking for good Jet Blue prices but have always been disappointed.
Good luck with airfare (and the new house).
If I lived closer to MIA I would go that rout. Don't give up though. We do all kinds of things to get there. If you can go in Oct. I noticed Spirit has really good prices then. I teach school, so that is out for me at this time.
augie

Post by augie »

If your dates are flexible and you check fares often good deals can be had. We lived just a little north of you (Melbourne) and most of our trips we flew out of Miami on AA.

If Orlando fares are anywhere close (it's an additional leg - we typically got on a connecting flight that was the same non-stop we drove to MIA for) get them - the drive to MCO is fast and easy - the polar opposite to driving to Miami.

We actually had one instance where we saved $40 each by booking MCO-STT rather than MIA-STT. Crazy!
Come see us!