STJ with 4 year old and no swimming

Travel discussion for St. John
MinnGirl

STJ with 4 year old and no swimming

Post by MinnGirl »

Minor medical issue and now our 4 year old beach and pool loving son can't go swimming for the rest of our vacation (5 days on island). I'm thinking we'll do some hikes, but what other non water activities would you all suggest? He can play at the beach, but I'm worried about him feeling like he's missing out by not being able to go in the water. What hikes do you recommend?
GotToGetAway

Re: STJ with 4 year old and no swimming

Post by GotToGetAway »

Annaberg, Cinnamon Bay Loop, Peace Hill, and Hart Bay. My 4 year old has done them all and enjoyed them. We also go on a hunt for the elusive Mimosa pudica plant (AKA sensitive plant) that moves when you touch it. We found it on the Reef Bay Hike and also at the Catherinberg Ruins. The museum at Lameshur is interesting. Drunk Bay could also be a fun time. Maybe Sloop Jones to do some artwork shirts.
Tickerless :(
snorkeler525

Post by snorkeler525 »

He might enjoy becoming a junior ranger:

http://www.nps.gov/viis/forkids/beajuniorranger.htm

What about a kayak or sail trip? Could you do that with him?

You could visit the animal shelter:

http://www.stjohnanimalcarecenter.com/g ... /volunteer

Take him to some of the "fun" restaurants on the island.

Sorry he can't play in the water; I know it must be really hard on him. Hope he heals soon.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Take him beach combing at either Drunk Bay or Haulover North. Both locations have rough water so he won't be looking at it and wanting to go in. You could spend hours digging through the coral rubble. Both locations are good for sea glass.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Another vote for Annaberg and also Drunk Bay - I could spend hours there. Unfortunately, you have to walk the length of the beach at Salt Pond to get there, so that could be tempting, but as long as you're ready for that it's a great hike.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

For beach combing (sea glass especially) I suggest Hart Bay, easy hike and it's fun going thru the rocks and sea glass is abundant there! And it's a beach that you really don't want to get in the water as it is too rough there! Also, Klein Bay is great for digging thru rocks also!! I must be a kid at heart!!
MinnGirl

Post by MinnGirl »

Great suggestions. Thank you. We've got a trip on the Kekoa planned for this weekend. This our son's fourth trip and feel horrible that this happen on our first day. He's been looking forward to swimming In the ocean and pool for the past month.
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

I don't know where he is at these days but maybe the Crab Mon show with crab races might be fun for him. Maybe you can find some fun things at http://whattodo-vi.com/ Hope he is feeling better soon!
SuefromMA

Post by SuefromMA »

What about doing a "day trip" over to St. Thomas to check out out Coral World? I have never done it - but, maybe others could chime in about whether or not it would be fun.

That way he could get to see some pretty fish and some shows, I think.

Poor little tyke....
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Kekoa will be a great trip. Capt. Jameson went out of his way to engage my son. The hammocks at the back of the boat were his favorite.
nikkiki

Post by nikkiki »

Any additional info about the Crab Mon would be greatly appreciated by this (cough, thirty) four year old. That sounds fun! Poor little guy - I know the Westin had lots of activities for little ones when I was there last.
2beachbums

Post by 2beachbums »

I think Coral World would be fun for him. We did it with my son when he was 7 and he thought it was really cool. There are some nice interactive aspects to the aquarium. He would like the Blackbeard's Castle tour on STT also. (At the end of the tour there is a GIANT moving dinosaur that roars (very cool but make sure he is prepared for it!) Maybe visit one of the Humane Societies??

Have fun!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Here's a list if thighs that Catered to posted on their blog recently.
http://www.cateredto.com/blog_posts/top ... xdQs841biR
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Barb Y

Post by Barb Y »

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2013/05/23/cra ... iss-lucys/

This is the most recent info I could find for the Crab Mon. He has a bit of an odd sense of humor but was still good for a few laughs. He also gave out some great prizes if your crab wins a race.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Here is his facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/dacrabmon?fref=ts

He hasn't posted anything about the races lately, but you could always send him a facebook message asking.

We hope to see him at Miss Lucy's brunch this year.