Travel discussion for St. John
Xislandgirl

Reading on beach

Post by Xislandgirl »

Do you:
Carry books
Try and read on an iPad
Have a e-ink reader (nook or kindle)

I read multiple books on vacation and carrying them in my luggage can be a pain. I have the nook app on my ipad but I can't read it in the full sun.
I am considering buying the Nook basic with e-ink but I am it sure I really want another piece of technology.

Curious what others do.
sailorgirl

Re: Reading on beach

Post by sailorgirl »

I travel with my Ipad for general computing needs and a Nook for reading on the beach.
indianaizzy

Post by indianaizzy »

I use my Kindle. I just slip it into a ziplock back and there is not problem reading in the sun.
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I have a Kindle Paperwhite. It works great and it works in the sun or in the dark. No fuss, no muss. It might be yet another piece of tech to haul around, but it beats hauling 4-5 books around in a suitcase or backpack.
Pia

Post by Pia »

X - do you reverse the background/font color on your iPad to read in the sun ?

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
AshleyP

Post by AshleyP »

My first trip to St. John I took probably 4 or 5 books with me, after that I bought the Kindle Paperwhite....so much better than taking multiple books. The bonus for me is it has the same charger as my phone, so I don't have to remember to take another charger.
inuny

Post by inuny »

At home I prefer reading on my ipad (using the kindle app). But there's too much glare and it's too expensive to worry about water/sand, so I use my kindle at the beach. The basic kindle (not the paperwhite-which has lighting) is $69 now.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

I love killing trees. Just kidding but I do love my paper books and have weirdly hoardish tendencies toward them. I love to go to the very corner of a beach and stick my sandchair at the waters edge and let the water lap over my feet while I read. Every once in a while a wake or something will cause a wave to splash me good so a Kindle or other would not work for me.

Needless to say my books take a fair beating and even so it is hard for me to part with them. I'm getting better at letting them go as we try to streamline our life but I don't like it. I've started leaving them in the library of books in the places we've stayed but only if it was not a memorable read. It make me happy to look at them and remember where I was when I was reading it.

Is therapy necessary? Discuss...
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I am a retired printer. I devoured paper in a 38 year career in printing. We slammed images into it with lead type and engravings on letterpress presses. Than we kissed it with the weird chemistry of offset lithography. I have just finished a certificate program in web development at my local community college and have started an associates degree program in digital marketing. Both things I should have started years ago.

Anyway the point of this is I still use paper books for text books. I still leaf through photobooks printed well. There is a time and place for it all. I just prefer the Kindle for reading when I travel and they do make a waterproof cover now for the Kindle. Theoretically you could snorkel and read at the same time. I can't imagine why you would but the possibility is there for extremists.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

That's really good to know about the water proof case! Maybe this is the year I can drag myself into the future.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I have not found a way to make the IPad readable in full sun.
Guess I will invest in another piece of technology
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

iPad for indoors, original nook for outdoors. I purchased a waterproof cover so have no worrys about sand or water. iPad is too valuable to take to the beach or pool in my opinion.
Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker »

I have a Nook, with the glowlight, so I can read under low-light conditions. I love it. It's small, thin and super light. But...

I read an article from Money Magazine (I believe) a few weeks ago, and Nook was one of the items expected to vanish from the marketplace in the future. If I ever have to replace it, I'll probably get a Kindle.

The iPad gives me headaches if I try to read for long periods of time, and outdoors, it's almost impossible, due to the glare from the glass screen.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I`m old school and prefer a book. We take an iPad and our smart phones, but we just use them to check e mails and messages in the evening and then they get shut off until the next evening.
Pete (Mr. Marcia)

Post by Pete (Mr. Marcia) »

We really like our Kindles...the paperwhite model. Very easy to read even in bright sun.
Wisconsin, smell the dairy air