Would you...?

Travel discussion for St. John
stjchica

Would you...?

Post by stjchica »

So I just found out about a job opening in the VI's that I am a little giddy about..Hubby is set to retire soon and this would be a great job for me.
Question is...(especially for those of you on island)...
My only drawback (and a big one)...would be leaving my grown children stateside..
Sigh...Have any of you done this, and how do you deal with leaving family?
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
shoemak38

Re: Would you...?

Post by shoemak38 »

stjchica wrote: My only drawback (and a big one)...would be leaving my grown children stateside..
So what's the issue, that;s what phanes are for :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

lol...I'm super close to my kids and I know that would be so hard...
~Pam~
TrvlJohn

Post by TrvlJohn »

2 answers:
Me: In a minute!
Wife: Not so much!

I guess it is a draw...
Leap, and the net will appear.
- John Burroughs
kklay

Post by kklay »

Here's my two cents. I have not done it, think about it when my work really starts to stress me out. The only way I could do it is to ensure that every couple of months I could fly back home for several days and/or they could come see me. I have two grown girls and grandchildren that I could not be away from for very long. For them, they don't have alot of vacation and then just the cost of flights more than once per year would be an issue. So, if your job opportunity allows for flexible time/days off and you would have many FF miles to use or for your family to use (or you could pay their way :-) then I would say go for it!
RickG

Post by RickG »

http://livedelifeusvi.blogspot.com/

Capt. Jay & Debbie made a similar move, without kids. Their blog starts in 2007 with a job offer.

17 months until my youngest goes to college. I'm looking to spend a lot more time in the islands after that. Full time? Probably not.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

Sounds great to me. I suspect that if you live there, you will see quite a bit of your children.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

haha..yes I am sure they would be frequent visitors..
~Pam~
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

My kids were born and raised here in the VI and moved to the states after college and marriage - they visit - I visit - the grandkids love it here.
Why deny yourself a different lifestyle ? Everyone will adjust and if you are happy what is the real dilemma.
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Im not sure I could give up subzero winters in Michigan... :lol: I don't know about year round...but I could do Jan-April and then back to Michigan for the Cottage/Boating season...Fall Colors and Football and a White Christmas.

Here's fun blog http://womenwholiveonrocks.com/
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Probably couldn't do it, but everyone has different circumstances. My grandchildren live 1 mile from me and not sure I could give that up, never mind my kids. Unfortunately, being responsible for an elderly parent makes even taking a vaca impossible, so I probably am not a good person to ask ☺️
equineannie

Post by equineannie »

It is called airplanes, LOL. Kidding aside, when I was 53 I sold everything I had and went to SE Asia with two suitcases. Best thing I ever did. Life is short and you never know when your last day will be. Your job is done, your grown children have their lives and you have yours.....enjoy. (They will come visit!)
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

Slightly different circumstance, but yes. we bought a home last year with the plan of being snow birds in a few years...we just got back from a 9 day trip. i am blessed to be able to work from anywhere with high speed internet and ATT mobile.

we installed a cell booster to help with the ATT issue and i was able to tether my laptop to the phone. we are working on getting broadband vi installed (3/5 mb). the innovative dsl service works out to 512k, workable but not what those of us stateside would consider high speed. i was able to work from our home while my wife practiced our new life. it worked out well. we were both able to visit cinnamon before coming back and starting my work day. the one hour time difference was actually helpful. i got texts from her throughout the day updating me on where she was...beaches, visiting friends, exploring. i think this was her way of saying.....lets play snowbird NOW!!!

as for our children, one just got married and is busy with her career, the other is a junior in college and he is busy with his life there. we usually talk on the phone or Skype...all available on st john. from one home to the other it is roughly 7 hours with reasonable traffic and nonstop flights.

The big negatives are the cost of everything being more expensive, selection of goods being limited, inability to get things done in a timely manner (for those stateside this could drive us nuts), hurricane season. insurance costs on structures are simply insane.

the one item which most don't realize is the very small size creates more of a college campus feel than most realize....we have had people ask us questions about our home or things we are doing to it whom we had not met before. within a short period you will meet nearly everyone. the people are very kind and helpful.

remember to say good morning/afternoon/evening before starting a conversation...drive on the left, deer are somehow amazing creatures (i want to export some from PA there), time is a relative thing....if a service person arrives the same day, they are on time. The quality of the work being done on our home is comparable or better than stateside. i have read horror stories about building or repairing homes, but the big problem is really time. the work may be slow, but the quality in my experience is first rate.

good luck!

brian.
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

Not to be a negative nelly but I honestly woud not unless or until the corruption and or incompetence of the USVI police department is addressed.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

We moved down with the knowledge we would be away from our "20 something" kids. I knew they loved it here and hoped
For visits. Neither Steve or I would have thought that ten months after my initial move, both boys are living in St. John. We are delighted.
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting