Winter Travel Quandry

Travel discussion for St. John
psufan

Winter Travel Quandry

Post by psufan »

We leave on Saturday for STJ, our Christmas gift to one another for a winter break. Boy do we need it this year! We have never traveled to STJ in the high season and never anywhere tropical in the dead of winter. Any tips on how to dress to go to the airport? Do you dress in winter clothes and bring a change of warm weather clothes? What about a coat? We will feel really silly carrying a winter coat off the plane in STT!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Re: Winter Travel Quandry

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

No tips, but MAN, I wish that was my quandary! What I would give to be heading to STJ in a few days. Instead, we're here in SC anxiously awaiting Snowmageddon. Yes, in SC, 3 - 4 inches of snow causes mass panic. No bread and milk to be found in a tri-state area. :shock: :? Have a great trip!
psufan

Post by psufan »

We could not have picked a better winter to escape. Between the bitter cold and the snow this winter has been miserable :evil: Good luck ColumbiaSC. We have lived places where small snowfalls cause mass panic. I can only imagine the impact this storm is having!
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

It probably all depends on how you're getting to the airport and how long you'll have to be outside. When I travel to STJ I will either drive and park at an offsite parking location with shuttles to the airport or the last trip we were dropped off at the door because the husbands weren't going this time. The second option makes it really easy because you're in a warm car and only have to walk a few yards to get inside and the same coming home when you are picked up. The offsite parking lots here in Connecticut have "valet" type parking meaning that you leave your car at their heated office building so you can go inside to fill out paperwork, etc and it's only a few steps to the heated shuttle. They will park your car where it's convenient for them and you call when you get your baggage on the return trip and your car is brought to a pick up area, is running and warm by the time the shuttle picks you up and drops you at their office to pay. (An added plus is that the off site lots are much cheaper than long term parking at the airport.) I will normally layer clothing for the trip to the airport - I'll wear long pants, a T shirt, fleece type jacket or sweatshirt, socks and whatever type of walking/hiking shoes I'm taking for STJ. Then I will stash a pair of shorts and flip flops in my carry on bag in an easy to access location. Usually by the time we get to Charlotte the fleece/sweatshirt has already been rolled up and stashed in the carry on bag or used as a pillow for snoozing. The heavier shoes and socks are off and stashed in the bag when the plane makes the approach to STT. (Do it when the pilot announces that you're getting close - don't try it when the plane is already on the ground....too crowded!) Then when we're off the plane we veer off from the cattle herd heading to the baggage claim area and turn right just after the rum cart and head to the restrooms on the opposite side past the airline counters because it's much larger, with more stalls so little or no waiting. The long pants come off and the shorts go on while taking this bathroom break. By the time your baggage gets unloaded you're comfortable and ready to head to the ferry. The fleece jacket or sweatshirt can be used on STJ if it's chilly at night and the same with your one pair of long pants. Then on the way back I wear shorts and flip flops to the airport and carry my travelling clothes in my carry on so that I can change in the bathroom once we get to the boarding gate. It just takes a little forethought to make sure you get what you need in your carry on and keep it in an accessible spot so you don't have to dig through everything. I try to use one on the zippered compartments on the outside for that. If you have to spend a lot of time outside in the cold you could probably still use layering. You'd need to add more layers with a windbreaker on the outside to block the wind and hold in heat. And try to find gloves and hats that are as thin as possible to roll up and stash in a corner of your bag somewhere. Don't worry, you'll figure it out and putting up with the cold is SO worth it when you're heading to STJ!!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

In a word, layers.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

ColumbiaSCTraveler wrote:No tips, but MAN, I wish that was my quandary! What I would give to be heading to STJ in a few days. Instead, we're here in SC anxiously awaiting Snowmageddon. Yes, in SC, 3 - 4 inches of snow causes mass panic. No bread and milk to be found in a tri-state area. :shock: :? Have a great trip!

here are yankee rules :lol: :lol:
jokesmay by SHOEMAK38, on Flickr
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Well, we leave tomorrow and will have the pleasure/pain of walking to and from the Dash 8 flight at 6am/6:45am in PHL.

We used to always dress for STJ weather and just suck it up. My husband drops me off at the curb and take the car to long term parking for the shuttle.

This year is a game changer. First the first time, we are wearing pants, long sleeve shirts, an outer layer (fleece), hats and glove. Oh, and socks and sandals, I have official turned into my mother :)
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Shoemak38 - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't let me fool you.

Everyone else stocked up on milk and bread.

I ensured our stock of Cruzan and Patron was up to snuff. :wink:
psufan

Post by psufan »

Thanks for the tips. PA Girl, we are flying out of JFK. It is a pain to get there but the price was so much better when we booked. I was thinking about wearing socks and my Keens so I laughed when I read your post about socks and sandals. Maybe we will bump into you on the rock.

Shoemak...Loved the cartoon. It is soooo true. :lol: :lol:
RickG

Post by RickG »

We do zip-off pants and rollup rainjackets with layers underneath. I do Tevas with wool hiking socks. Before we started sailing we skipped the rainjackets.

We learned our lesson after a Jamaica trip where we left and it was 50F in DC and we came back and our car was snowed in. Shoveling the snow off the car to get to my winter gear with bare hands and no coat in 20F with wind was, well, exciting. We take a taxi now.

Good problems to have!!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

We are in coral bay right now! We left Detroit but had someone drop us off at the door. I wore tights, a dress, long sleeve tee under it and a sweater for the evenings. Anything else you bring down here will just be wasted baggage space! I wore socks and my keens. In Miami the socks and tee came off, in STT the tights and sweater came off. I'm just sitting on the porch, drinking a painkiller, in my dress waiting for you all to come on down!
Gretchen3

Post by Gretchen3 »

What a great quandary! Lucky Duck!
I follow a lot of the previous posts' suggestions. One I'd like to pass on that was mentioned by RickG is to pack a shovel in your car for winter travel periods. He's right, it can be miserable digging out what the plow left behind.
I don't bring all that warm stuff along on our travels. On our return home we take a shuttle to the car at a hotel. While I take care of the car the rest of the family waits in the warm lobby. Sometimes the ride from the airport is chilly, but the shuttle guys usually have the van nice and warm. I guess it would depend on your return weather. I don't know if I would attempt it today in Wisconsin where it was -22 with wind chills around -40!!! Yuck!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

We're too far from the airport to hire a car, so we arrive in cold weather clothes but leave our jackets in the car when the shuttle arrives to take us to the door. I always, in all weather, dress warm for airports and planes cause I'm one of those folks who are always cold. But I pack a dress in my backpack and change into that in the plane's bathroom, as we near STT. On the way home, we wear warm weather clothes to the airport, then change into cold weather clothes while we wait for our flights. When we get home to Buffalo, my "driver" (Blaine) goes to fetch the car...and freezes, but he says it's worth it!
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

We travel every year in Feb, I wear capris, socks, Birkenstocks (it's a fashion statement), a short sleeve shirt and a sweatshirt ...leave the coat in the car. Put a pair of shorts in my bag so I can change when I arrive.

It works for me:)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

My hubby and I take different approaches. I wear multiple layers, including a short sleeve Tshirt, plus a jacket because I get cold easily. Sometimes the plane is cold and I use my jacket as a "blanket". I wear a light-weight pair of khakis, and keep them on the whole trip. I don't get overly warm with long pants on in STT/StJ, so I don't change to shorts. My hubby wears pants, short sleeved Tshirt, long sleeve shirt and a windbreaker, then changes to shorts at the airport.

Like RickG, we have left Dulles airport in mild weather in Nov, then came back to lots of snow on our car. It was not fun to dig out. Definitely keep a shovel and a winter coat in the car. We take a taxi to the airport these days.

Happy trip planning!