Looking for accommodations!!

Travel discussion for St. John
Backtotheislands

Looking for accommodations!!

Post by Backtotheislands »

The hubs has promised a return trip to St. John this fall and I am looking for a place to stay. I LOVE the Coral Bay side, but would really like a sunset view this time. There will just be the 2 of us and we'd like to keep the cost at $2000 or less for the week. We need AC at least in the bedroom and a comfy bed. We prefer a higher elevation and a private pool. The hubs insists on internet. A great ocean view is a must! We will be going in the off season: sometime between late August and early November, depending on when I can find the best airfare. I'd love to hear some suggestions. Thank you in advance!
betsyv

Re: Looking for accommodations!!

Post by betsyv »

Im so glad you posted this. I am need of the same info...and we will be staying there at about the same time..
I am really looking forward to it..and cant wait ...
Ill be watching this post and will be sure to post anything interesting that I find out here...
Happy Hunting!
BetsyV

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I am a fan of Morgan Point. Budget friendly, killer view, AC, and a pool.
The pool is not off the main living area and it is a Wally pool, which I know some folks don't like, but I think this house is a deal.
Sea Turtle

Post by Sea Turtle »

Sea Turtle Villa meets the criteria you are looking for.
ShelleyZ

Post by ShelleyZ »

Take a look at Orchid Knoll on Bordeaux Mountain. The views look fabulous, with sunrises and sunsets and more! We've never stayed there, since it is too small for our family, but I think it looks great. We're Coral Bay people, as well, but we've stayed on Bordeaux and love the central location and the never-ending views.

http://www.vrbo.com/468439

Happy hunting and Happy New Year!
Shelley
Wanda Creech

Post by Wanda Creech »

Here are a few in your price range. I don't know anything about any of them except
Kia Ora. We will be staying there in June for the first time since our favorite
place, Sago Palm got torn down. There are new pictures of it just not on Private Homes web page.

Kia Ora- it has been up dated
Waterklip
Paradise Revisited
Beach Creecher
donna ristuccia

Post by donna ristuccia »

Fish tales www.vrbo.com/497846 Happy new year
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

I embarked on "the great villa search" earlier this year, and looked at dozens of villas online, so I looked back at my list to see if any fit your criteria. Sunsets, shaded areas, private pool and A/C in BR are also important to us. We didn't select any of these, but thought I would share what I found.

Arco Iris (Pt Rendezvous with view of Fish bay) - got very good reviews on VIOL and TA - privacy - shade on decks - I couldn't tell if you can see sunsets from there, so you would need to check on it

Morgan Point - as Xislandgirl said, its a good value for the price with great views - we almost chose it for our 2014 trip, but decided on a different one with a pool right next to the house.

Seascape - this looks like a much older home, but has a nice pool and lots of deck space. The OSJ site has a video of this villa, so you can get a feel for it. From the video and pics, I didn't get the impression it has good views, except in certain spots.

Cloud 9 on Gifft Hill - we love this location for the views and sunsets. Cloud 9 is older, but gets good reviews. A VIOL forumite has stayed there and recommends it. Slightly above your budget, but often goes on sale in the fall.

Poi Pu - Chocolate Hole - reviews said "total seclusion" from other villas - small dipping pool - overlooks Pond Bay

Elysium - Fish Bay - good reviews - almost picked this one, but it was booked by the time we made up our mind

Treasure Ridge - Chocolate Hole - thread on VIOL said "excellent views" - good reviews online - not sure about sunset view

Satori - Fish Bay - overlooks Ditliff

Another suggestion is waiting until summer before you book your villa, so see if you can get one at a discount. There have been several years when we were considering a fall trip and I looked for a villa in the summer and early fall. I saw lots of discounted villas for the fall. You may be able to get one a little nicer, but still within your budget.

Happy trip planning!
Last edited by AquaGirl on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
AH

Post by AH »

Xislandgirl wrote:I am a fan of Morgan Point. Budget friendly, killer view, AC, and a pool.
The pool is not off the main living area and it is a Wally pool, which I know some folks don't like, but I think this house is a deal.
Okay I just have to ask. What is a "Wally pool" exactly?
Backtotheislands

Thanks guys for the input! I haven't gotten the husband to pull the trigger on a flight yet. I think he thinks you can still get the prices of a couple years ago and I don't. I know we are going to go in October and I want champagne on a beer budget! LOL Keep the suggestions coming and I'll let you guys know what we decide.
Backtotheislands

Oh, and X, what is a wally pool???
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

It is a one piece drop in pool. I have no idea why people don't like them. It is a pool, it just isn't concrete and tile. It holds cool water and you can swim in it. I know that some folks here are really against them but that never made any sense to me.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Wally pools can be quite a bit smaller than the concrete and tile kind, but they are a functional pool. Some are more like a "dipping pool", rather than a "swimming pool", although many villas have very small concrete & tile pools too. If you google Morgan Point villa St John and look at the pictures of the pool, you will see what it looks like. The pool at Morgan Point looks like its in a lovely and private setting. French Cap in Chocolate Hole also has a Wally pool and good pictures so you can see what it looks like.
hairman

Post by hairman »

You might like Battery Hill. Stayed for a week ...very nice.
Nice pool ...not private...but no one else used it but us.
Walk down hill easy...back up a bit of a challenge. I'm out of shape...I know ROUND is a shape!
Backtotheislands

So aquagirl what did you end up booking?