A Few Pics From Our Trip

Travel discussion for St. John
AboutToGoCoastal

A Few Pics From Our Trip

Post by AboutToGoCoastal »

Here are a few pictures from our trip. We were on island from 12/2 - 12/12. It rained for 2/3 of the trip so I didn't get as many good ones as I would have liked. Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90814560@N ... 838716896/
Jumper

Re: A Few Pics From Our Trip

Post by Jumper »

Nice job on the pic`s !!!!

Looks like you did well snorkeling....
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

Wow - these are awesome pictures. Thank you for sharing them. Sorry to hear you had lots of rain.

The octopus is very interesting and you got great shots of it. I've never seen one take on quite that coloration. Where did you see it? Judging from the size of the grass, it looks like it was pretty small?

The picture of the shark coming right at you is scary. Is there a story behind that one?
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks for taking the time to share! Loved the sunsets and night pictures.Glad you made the best out of your trip.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Great pics! We had lots of rain too since we were there at almost the same time! It was nice to meet you at the Beach Bar! by the way, did you see their Facebook post? You and our gang were in one of their photos!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Beautiful pics, It was interesting that the octopus was out in the open instead of hiding, thanks for sharing!
ArkieLovesSTJ

Post by ArkieLovesSTJ »

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!
Gretchen3

Post by Gretchen3 »

Wow! Your pictures are wonderful. The color and clarity are incredible.
I too would love to hear more about your face-to-face encounter with the shark!
AboutToGoCoastal

Post by AboutToGoCoastal »

Jumper- You never want it to rain on your vacation but the great thing about STJ is when it rains you can put on your mask and snorkel and still have a good time. We saw more cool things snorkeling in the first three days of our trip than we've seen in entire trips. We saw our first ever tarpons and eagle ray, sharks, an octopus, turtles, and my favorite fish (queen triggerfish).

Aquagirl- The octopus was at Salomon. He was right in front of the beach in the grassy area. He was very small. Every other one we have seen have been way bigger. I hung out with him for about 10 minutes watching him change colors as he moved from place to place.

The wife took the shark pic you saw. She was trying to take a pic of a tarpon and wasn't paying much attention to anything else around her and next thing she knew she looked to her left and the shark was coming right at her. She doesn't curse very often but I'm pretty sure I heard a four letter word coming out of her snorkel. It was at Francis along the right side. That was our 3rd shark sighting in the same area. I think that one was a nurse shark and last year we saw a lemon shark there.

Lazylane- It was nice meeting you guys as well. I didn't even know that picture was taken at the Beach Bar. Will we get to see any of your pictures or a trip report? I hope so!
Bushwacker

Post by Bushwacker »

AboutToGoCoastal wrote: The wife took the shark pic you saw. She was trying to take a pic of a tarpon and wasn't paying much attention to anything else around her and next thing she knew she looked to her left and the shark was coming right at her. She doesn't curse very often but I'm pretty sure I heard a four letter word coming out of her snorkel. It was at Francis along the right side. That was our 3rd shark sighting in the same area. I think that one was a nurse shark and last year we saw a lemon shark there.
We were there at the same time. My husband is a huge fisherman, and was amazed by the huge tarpon we saw at Maho. I kept wanting to go further out, and he kept pulling me back towards the shoreline, shaking his head no.

It wasn't until we were back on shore, that he told me that the tarpon made him nervous, because shark feed on them. I thought he was being a chicken, but now seeing this, I owe him an apology!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Wow! You've got some amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing.

In 5 trips, we have yet to see a large-ish shark, which - hey, I'm not complaining. :wink:
vi lover

Post by vi lover »

LOVE the pictures. Makes me ready for February. Thanks for posting!