mack &papabou#4

Travel discussion for St. John
papabou

mack &papabou#4

Post by papabou »

for those who really care, i will start numbering reports after 1st three: windy, yesterday & today, & change of prospective. will also shorter repts while memories still fresh.
after lunch what's his name (whn) and i walked down to frank bay for a swim. me in my lovely royal blue swim shirt and paisley dorag. whn dressed at beach in usual since i'd threatened extreme injury if he thought of wearing his bodysuit down the hill. really a good snorkel once cleared sand from beach. headed toward gallows swim platform, looked around there and back then toward south end of bay and back. a good bit of shallow stuff whn could see while i did my extended free dives into the unknown. nothing large, lots of color in places but we did see the rear in of a lionfish sticking out of a pipe. i'll try and figure out how to rept to park ser. clarity so good around gallows once away from sand at frank bay we plan to go in in front of grandbay and go out toward gallows platform.
the rack rate for 3bdrm timeshare at gbay for this week is $43,900 with current annual fee of $1785. for today only for cash buy they throw in jeep club, and 3 yrs annual and few other. jeep club gives you free exclusive use of 4 dr jeep wrangler. way i see it the cost would be about $1800 yr lost opportunity cost on investment (4% on 43M) + 2000 annual few after 1st 3 yrs for a good week and a $575 jeepn rental. not bad nor a bargin. i have no idea what a unit would cost and would never consider buying though full ownership costs be proportionally a lot lower if you want to invest the big bucks in an island property. i personaly have enough headaches with commercial rentals in my home town. still i do like the idea of staying in grand bay and will seriously consider for next trip. haven't looked at weekly rental rates so may be turned off since have typically been able to find reason accommodations under $3000 week for our usual last minute trips. but then the value of keeping the wife happy - priceless.
papabou
cocosmom

Re: mack &papabou#4

Post by cocosmom »

If I ever get back to STJ I would also like to stay at GB for a week and Coral Bay for the second. Do you miss not having a car this trip? It is a big savings for sure.
papabou

Re: mack &papabou#4

Post by papabou »

cmom,

we have a jeep and have never been to stj w/o one. i believe you can get by with renting for couple of days unless avid island tourer (word?) like mack and i. Mack and i stayed on mamey peak in july and loved convenience to north shore and down into cbay. a week in coral bay with a jeep to do touring then move to grand bay without jeep would definitely work well. while we have driven jeep each day here so far would have been ok w/o if we'd already had our n shore beaching and coral bay stuff behind us.

frankly for mack and i renting at battery hill has been pleasant and very economical but wives couldn't do walk back from town and not sure we can in few years. but then there's the taxi!

papabou