does a hot tub make a difference in villa choice?

Travel discussion for St. John
longingstjohn

does a hot tub make a difference in villa choice?

Post by longingstjohn »

trying to decide whether to add one or not.
any thoughts?
thanks,
brian.
Wanda Creech

Re: does a hot tub make a difference in villa choice?

Post by Wanda Creech »

It might depend on the season and where the villa is located. We never rent a villa without a pool but a hot tub has not been used much when the villa has had one. However if it is a cool night or a rainy day that is a great place to relax.
Summertime is a little too not for me to use a hot tub but it might be used more in the high season. Have I confused you even more?
Beach Creecher
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

I never use any hot tub at a rental property, the only hot tub I will use is the one at my house.
We like to have a pool at the villa (June rental), but the only thing that really matters is that we have a nice view and the house is well maintained and clean.
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

We are getting a lot of use out of our hot tub this trip, there's been so much rain! 2 years ago, we had sunny skies the whole week, and it was too hot to use the hot tub...

But to answer your question... My husband wanted a place WITH a hot tub this year...
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I never use the hot tubs at the villas. I won't rent a villa that does not have a pool.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I love a hot tub (my own) not someone else's especially when it is used by a lot of frisky vacationers who have been drinking. If you catch my drift.
Tickerless :(
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

We look for villas with a view, a good pool and AC. We don't need hot tubs in St. John. We don't even use ours until it's winter..ie: under 40 degrees.
BetsyV

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

A hot tub doesn't matter to us. Like others mentioned, there is the ick factor. We had one at home and only used it during cool temps, I can't imagine sitting in a hot tub on STJ during spring, summer or fall.

We have rented houses with hot tubs and all but once (see below) the hot tubs were broken or vile.

The only time we used a hot was staying at bay rum breeze. Our friends brought their test lit along and declared it clean. The weather that trip was cool (winter) and the breezes were strong at night so it was nice to sit in it.
kklay

Post by kklay »

Our travel group is usually 6-10 friends/family and if there is a hot tub it is used. It's not a deal breaker in choosing a villa however, if we are torn between two villas it would make the decion easier. Of course it needs to be clean. We enjoy sitting in a hot tub in the evening with a cocktail and looking at all the stars!

A pool is a must!
Monkeynoclimb

Post by Monkeynoclimb »

Lots of different opinions regarding a spa. We like the spa especially "in season" when it can be a tad nippy on Bordeaux Mountain at night, especially if there is a breeze. We also like it after long hikes and snorkeling. While I can not speak for all St John houses, our spa is cleaned after every guest. I see the bill every time.
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

My husband is a hot-tub freak and wants one in every villa we rent. So yeah, it does make a difference in our villa choice. I've very much enjoyed the hot tubs in our two mountain rentals, but don't really see the point at lower altitudes. If I ever plan a trip to St. John without the husband I'd choose a pool over a hot tub, just for variety.
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

I'm typically a January traveler and we have used hot tubs when we have had them. It's a great way to really warm up when coming home from a day of snorkeling. I like to believe they are cleaned after every visitor. :)
KAY

Post by KAY »

A hot tub is a must for our family. We enjoy hitting the beaches during the day and the hot tub every night.
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hot tub is nice to have. We have problems with them about half the time. We have one at home that is not bromine-based, so I'm pretty spoiled. My biggest beef is the lack of clarity in most of the tubs.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
longingstjohn

Post by longingstjohn »

i would like to thank everyone for their feedback, both public and private.
we have decided to add a hot tub to our home….will likely take a number of months…..soon come now…

brian.