(Possibly rainy) Day trip to Tortola....

Travel discussion for St. John
Bonny in CA

(Possibly rainy) Day trip to Tortola....

Post by Bonny in CA »

We are planning to take the ferry to Tortola tomorrow, mostly because my passport hasn't been stamped yet! But we are wondering if we should take swimsuits and snorkel gear. Is there a public changing room? Or should we just go for lunch and do our snorkeling here, when the weather clears up.
Any suggestions for what to do in Tortola? In the vicinity of the ferry dock there?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!
News of St. John

Re: (Possibly rainy) Day trip to Tortola....

Post by News of St. John »

There's a quaint little shopping area directly across from custom's (West End). I've only been by boat, but I believe you can walk over. Pusser's Landing is there. It's a nice little restaurant that makes great Bushwackers. The shops have the typical touristy stuff including t-shirts, home decor and spices. It's a nice little spot.
Last edited by News of St. John on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jenn, News of St. John
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Since there are 2 ferry docks in Tortola it would be West End or Roadtown where you land depending on your choice.
West End has a Pussers as mentioned and Smugglers Cove is a worthy beach visit.
Roadtown has more restaurants and shops.
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

There are two ferry docks in Tortola: Roadtown and West End.

If you take the ferry to West End, there is really nothing much to do. Pusser's Landing is down the road. It caters to the boating crowd.You'd have to take a cab to the closest beach which I think is Smugglers Cove. (BTW, the Beaches in Tortola are awesome, the snorkeling is great!) Every time I've landed at West End that whole area has been pretty deserted.

Roadtown is a city and is pretty urban & busy. It's not touristy. There's some nice restaurants walking distance from customs as well as some interesting shops. There Botanical Gardens are also nearby, which makes for an enjoyable stroll. No swimming or snorkeling.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

watergirl wrote:There are two ferry docks in Tortola: Roadtown and West End.

If you take the ferry to West End, there is really nothing much to do. Pusser's Landing is down the road. It caters to the boating crowd.You'd have to take a cab to the closest beach which I think is Smugglers Cove. (BTW, the Beaches in Tortola are awesome, the snorkeling is great!) Every time I've landed at West End that whole area has been pretty deserted.

Roadtown is a city and is pretty urban & busy. It's not touristy. There's some nice restaurants walking distance from customs as well as some interesting shops. There Botanical Gardens are also nearby, which makes for an enjoyable stroll. No swimming or snorkeling.
If a cruise ship is in port, Roadtown will be super touristy. The vendors set up tents and sell their items near the cruise dock.
Personally, I don't care for Roadtown though. I would ferry to West End and check out the little shops at Soper's Hole. It is a really quaint little area and so pretty with the boats/yachts docked, etc.. Then I would take a taxi to Smuggler's and just enjoy some beach time relaxing. That would be a pretty good day on Tortola imo. :)
We've stayed on Tortola 3 trips. Let me know if you have any questions..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

Sounds like West End is more our speed!
We spent the morning shopping, Mongoose Junction and Wharfside Village, having a little down time at Plumeria right now. Greg (DH) is taking a nap, then we'll see if there's any beach time left before we start getting ready for the Halloween party at Skinny Legs. I got my forum bracelet at STJ Spice today!
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Enjoy the rest of your trip Bonny!! :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."