High season advice for babymoon!

Travel discussion for St. John
Kim

High season advice for babymoon!

Post by Kim »

Hi Everyone,
I am normally mostly a lurker, especially since I rarely feel I have as much to contribute as many of the experts here. That said, I'm hoping all the experts can help me with some possible upcoming planning! My husband and I normally travel to STJ in August each year. However, we are expecting our first baby in mid-May 2014 so we likely won't make the Aug 2014 trip. But we would love to make it down for a babymoon in mid/late Jan 2014 :D

Problem is...I want to get through a few more Dr appointments to ensure everything is fine before we starting booking travel. If we wait until mid November, will it be super tough to find a villa and car rental? We normally rent a jeep from Courtesy and would love to continue if possible. We also don't have a ton of requirements as far as lodging goes, just a one bedroom or studio...but probably won't want a super bumpy, treacherous driveway!

Is there anything else that I would need to plan for a January trip that we wouldn't be use to in August? Am I being totally unrealistic to think we can plan this just 2 months out? I hope not, but please tell it to me straight :shock:
Thanks in advance!
GotToGetAway

Re: High season advice for babymoon!

Post by GotToGetAway »

The trickiest part may be the rental vehicle. They do "run out" pretty quickly in high season. I booked a few months in advance last year and got the last Jeep Amalie had for that week.
I think finding a place to stay would be pretty doable if you aren't particular. You may even be able to find a last minute discount.
Good luck!
And congratulations :D
Tickerless :(
Linward

Post by Linward »

If there isn't a rental car available on STJ, perhaps you could rent one on STT and ferry it over. We've done this before - without a problem.
Life is an adventure.
Treasure each moment.
SandyPants

Post by SandyPants »

I believe most rental car companies allow you to cancel with some notice, so if you can pick the most feasible week for the babymoon and reserve the car it will buy you some time, and more than likely everything else will work out. Congrats, and best of luck!
crasherino

Post by crasherino »

Ahhh the BabyMoon on STJ - I have fond memories. No place better for it. Of course, there's no place better for any type of holiday.

My wife still reminds me of our day at Salt Pond with no other spots on the beach other than under a prickly tree with red ants swarming and then the hike back to the Jeep. In hindsight, wasn't the best laid plan! She was happy to get back and sit by the pool.

So stick to the North Shore beaches!

We stayed at the Westin as we had some relaxing days by the pool there to take it easy. Even if thats not normally your bag, it may be something to consider. I'd book the car now...you can always cancel - I'm guessing you can always find last minute accomodations if you aren't super picky.

Good luck with everything....we love telling our oldest whenever we are in STJ that his first trip there was actually in his mom's tummy.
Kim

Post by Kim »

Thank you everyone for the great advice! I think we will decide on our dates this week and go ahead and get the jeep booked. I was completely forgetting that is the one thing we can cancel without penalty if need be. I am excited, love the planning process! If any Jan. travelers see a lady with a ~6 month belly bump, please say 'hi' :D
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

We are hoping to travel for a babymoon in Dec, for a trip we planned before I was pregnant. My advice is to buy trip insurance that includes cancel for any reason coverage the same day you book your trip. That way, if some thing unexpected comes up with your pregnancy right before travel, you will be able to cancel and get most of your money back. Pregnancy, even complications that would prevent you from traveling safely, is to covered under most regular trip isnurance policies, so you need the cancel for any reason coverage. Best wishes with your pregnancy and trip!
Kim

Post by Kim »

We are all booked for Jan 25th arrival on STJ! Jeep, airfare, and cottage all worked out perfect and we couldn't be more excited :)
HaveToTravel, have a great time next month on your trip!!! Do you have a specific travel insurance company that you would recommend? That is the one thing that I still do need to take care of...just in case!

Thanks guys!
HaveToTravel

Post by HaveToTravel »

Congratulations! We leave soon for our babymoon on St. John, and I'm so excited. I book trip insurance through Trip Insurance Store because they have good customer service and offer a few companies' policies. I've also used insure my Trip. Both are online companies. It's important to book your policy soon after making trip deposits if possible. Have fun planning and counting down!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Kim, we are SO excited for y'all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know y'all are going to have a fantastic babymoon next month! Can't wait to hear all about it!
Happy holidays, mommy! :wink: