Wiener Dog in Paradise and South Shore Villa - A Review

Travel discussion for St. John
needmesomesun

Wiener Dog in Paradise and South Shore Villa - A Review

Post by needmesomesun »

Or:

"The Trip Review That Crazy Couple Who Vacation With Their Dog Wrote"

This trip review is long over due. Disgustingly long. Like, it should have been written 10 months ago when we got back. I have had it mostly finished for quite some time, but I got a little lazy about putting the photos with the writing. Oh well, better late than never.

We started our search just a few weeks out from our travel day. Due to my husband's work, the majority of our trips are last minute and we prefer to work directly with owners, so we usually start on VRBO. After receiving a message from fellow forum member Seahorse02, we checked out South Shore Villa. We had noticed it before, but were hesitant without knowing the condition of the road up. We did some searching around and found the video of the Skytop Road on the On-StJohn website and were put at ease (It was nowhere near the road up to calabash a few years back, so we were good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLIDcBhjgQ&noredirect=1

We contacted Larry, the owner of South Shore Villa:

http://www.vrbo.com/122603

He was nice to work with and took his time answering all our questions. He even followed up with us after our first day to make certain everything was going well. It really makes me feel happy when an owner wants to make sure that everything is good.

We had been informed by Larry that during part of our stay there would be a solar panel install. He was honest to share that with us before we booked. FYI - Solar panel installs are not that loud. I am kind of shocked that the workers didn't even listen to music during the day, but perhaps they were trying to be quiet. All of the workers were very friendly and nice. There was an outdoor speaker system, so we provided them with work music when we were in the pool.

The road to the villa is paved all the way from town. The road the villa sits on is half paved, with the switchbacks being fully paved. The views from Skytop are truly some of the best on island.

IMG_0087 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_5346 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_5342 by locococonuts, on Flickr

It also has a nice partial sunset to the right

IMG_5353 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_5352 by locococonuts, on Flickr

The kitchen is well appointed and I loved the stove! The grill was big enough for an army even though there were only two of us (well, 2.5, more on that later). We cooked many meals there and it was a dream to work in. I can't think of anything that was missing. Must be something about the water, but everything tastes better on St. John. Especially morning coffee.

The infinity pool, although not heated, was in the sun all day and is very comfortable.

IMG_0047 by locococonuts, on Flickr

This was a concern before we booked, but it turned out to be just perfect. We were in the pool every day, at different hours. We didn't hear any noise from neighbors. Sol Inclination is right next door, as well as (what looks like) a private residence just below it.

The living room couch was very comfortable. All of the furnishings in the living and dining rooms were exceptional. We LOVED the copper dining table and the huge, carved coffee table. The TV's throughout were really small, but most people don't go on vacation to watch TV. Still, when these eventually go, I'd be sure and purchase larger TV's. They were a bit hard to see (do a girl with old eyes a favor!).

We would have preferred king sized beds, but they had queen and we made do. To be honest, that was really the only thing we would have changed about the villa. We chose the lower bedroom under the master as we thought it would stay the coolest. The villa had AC throughout, and the AC worked fine if the the breezes weren't enough to keep cool. All of the doors and windows were fully screened to let the breezes pass through while keeping the mosquitos out. Interestingly enough you could hear the ocean all the way up at the villa. The valley created some sort of amphitheater situation.

IMG_5340 by locococonuts, on Flickr

In fact, for the rental price, I think this villa is an amazing deal considering the views, the quality of workmanship that went into it, the close proximity to town, and the amenities.

Great deck space and outdoor dining areas can easily accommodate a large group. We noticed that they have updated the lounges since the photos were taken for the website. It would be impossible for any photos to do that view justice. We could see St. Croix like it was a mile away.

IMG_5355 by locococonuts, on Flickr

The driveway was ample for two cars to come and go, if they are backed in. Do be mindful of the lovely Schnell sconces. We did tap one perfectly and consequently made our first Schnell purchase ever. Larry was VERY understanding about the whole situation and insisted we not replace it, but we wouldn't have felt right leaving it broken.

Sad Schnell :(

IMG_5343 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Happy Schnell!

IMG_5345 by locococonuts, on Flickr

(We totally cleaned up that mess underneath)

The neighborhood is nice for taking a long walk. It is a very quick drive down to the Reef Bay beach, as well as the Klein Bay beach. The grounds of the villa were well kempt. There was a huge jasmine bush on the upper deck that bloomed right in time for our stay and the scent was constantly wafting throughout, especially at night during dinners on the upper deck.

I didn't take a ton of villa pics, as the photos Larry has up are really nice. As usual though, the villa photos don't do it justice, it was much better in person!

Another perk for us (although this probably matters very little to most travelers) is that Larry was dog friendly. And SOMEONE had a great time. She traveled like a dream. Slept the whole way without any kind of medication:

IMG_0043 by locococonuts, on Flickr

While she has traveled with us quite a bit, she had never used a crate before, so there was a learning curve.

What the heck are you talking about *get in the crate* ???

Image 6 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Did someone say *cookies*??

Image 7 by locococonuts, on Flickr

She also entertained lots of children in the airports. I'm sure the parents appreciated the distraction during their travel day.

Image 8 by locococonuts, on Flickr

She floated the days away. We found an older looking float (stashed around the corner) for her, and we also brought a few with us.

IMG_0077 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0068 - Version 2 by locococonuts, on Flickr

She enjoyed some frosty treats from St. John Spice:

IMG_0097 - Version 2 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0220 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Ruth and Ron have everything you could possibly want. Literally:

IMG_0221 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Spent a good amount of time checking out stuff in the valley below:

IMG_0061 by locococonuts, on Flickr

And chilling by the pool

IMG_0052 by locococonuts, on Flickr

She floated the day away out on the east end. Jumped right into water and into the float. Some other travelers in the water found that quite funny.

IMG_0104 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Took long walks every day on Cruz Bay Beach

IMG_0189 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Did someone say chickens??

Image 2 by locococonuts, on Flickr

I LOVE chickens!

Image 2 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Unfortunately for Ruth, she was too chilled out from being on vacation for her prey drive to kick in, which is usually quite strong. Either that or she had no way to realize that the chicken standing before her was the kind she loved to have in her belly. (let's pretend that isn't an adult beverage next to me at 10am…mmmK? Because it totally could have been someone else's)

Image 1 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Back to less crazy stuff… After this trip, and a few prior, we have become very partial to the south shore location. It is the perfect mix of convenience and quiet. You can hit town on the way to the north shore beaches, or avoid it all together on the way to Coral Bay by using Gift Hill rd.

We spent time floating at Francis.

IMG_0111 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0109 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0108 by locococonuts, on Flickr

And Salt Pond.

IMG_0115 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0114 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0118 by locococonuts, on Flickr

This is my husband floating, drinking, and taking a video of a turtle, all the the same time. Talent!

IMG_0131 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Saw plenty of turtles that day!

IMG_0170 by locococonuts, on Flickr

And a little time at Caneel. Nobody bothered us about bringing our chairs, but they did ask if we had a cooler, which we didn't. We love using the wait staff on the beach, they are very nice. They also didn't hassle us about using the floating dock.

IMG_0201 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0202 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0203 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0199 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Ted came and cooked for us, which I reviewed here:

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... 13#p271113

We got to test the Sushi at Caneel:

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... 47#p269547

And went to The Terrace for the first time:

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... 70#p269570

We also enjoyed Deli Grotto and had some delicious creations at The Tourist Trap!! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me for those, but we highly recommend them both.

Overall the trip was perfect. It was like everything good about being home, but better.

Headed back home…

Image 3 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Good thing she rested up! Shortly after the trip she became a big sister to an adorable, yet spastic, puppy.

IMG_0018 by locococonuts, on Flickr

Image 4 by locococonuts, on Flickr

IMG_0043 - Version 2 by locococonuts, on Flickr
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
Barb Y

Re: Wiener Dog in Paradise and South Shore Villa - A Review

Post by Barb Y »

Great report! Looks like a fun and relaxing time was had by all! Congrats on the new baby she is adorable!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Hot Dog! Super good trip report and photos... thanks for getting it done and sharing your vacation.
The first puppy pic is absolutely too cute. Love it! Will she be visiting St John?
... no longer a stranger to paradise
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Holy cow that puppy is over the top adorable!

The picture of Big Pup floating in the pool gives me anxiety, weren't you worried he would float over the edge?

I have had that villa on my to consider list for a while. Great views.

I am surprised I haven't seen a dog on any of our flights yet.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and the rest of the report was good too :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

I LOVED reading your report...so cute you brought your furry baby...we have two CRAZY weimaraner's...I don't think the villa owner(s) would like our crazy kids running around their villa...Grand Daddy takes care of them when we go on vacation....anyway...thanks for sharing your trip...I enjoyed reading about it.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

BarbY - Thanks!

Iprof - The pups will not be coming with us on our next planned trip. We took Coco with hopes of finding her a sibling at the ACC, but there weren't any small dogs available while we were there. She did go for a walk with Tito, and really got on well with him, but he was too big to travel under the seat.

We plan on continuing to travel with our dogs (always have), so there were 2 requirements, the first being that Coco approved (she is *particular* when it comes to other dogs, so her taking a liking to Tito was huge), and second, that they are small enough to travel in the cabin. There was one other small dog, but she was sick and quarantined from other dogs, so Coco couldn't meet her.

I'm sure Jubilee (my nickname for the puppy) will be visiting with us in the future.

PA Girl - Thanks! We love the puppy so much already. One of us was holding on to the float. It also looks much scarier than it seems. Below that edge is a wide trap for filtering the pool (and after that is a deck to get to some kind of machine room underneath perhaps?). Plus the floats stop at the edge.

MBW - Thanks Marybeth. Don't you have a trip coming up soon? Looking forward to reading about it.

Theresa_Rae - That was taken at Salt Pond. We call it the "new look" of Salt Pond. They cleared a ton of brush/foliage by the beach (to widen it?). Also, they seem to be adding quite a bit to Concordia.

Piscesgirl - Thanks :)
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Wow, that really is a new look...I didn't even recognize it! It looks like a different island.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Mrs. B

Post by Mrs. B »

Great report! I loved the pictures of your dog! Just hope my dog doesn't see your report and expect to go with us next time! :D
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Excellent trip reports and pics but the very best is the canines, love them. There is a chihuahua mix at the shelter right now named Skip, I wish someone would give him his forever home, I brought home a little guy from the ACC in January, best decision ever, fit right in with the rest of the humans and canines at home :D
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

Enjoyed the report, and the pictures.
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

GREAT pics of that little guy!!! LOVE dachsunds, we have had 2 over the years....great report too, I smiled all the way thru!
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

Hi.. I loved your TR..and your pups are adorable.
We have always wanted to take our mini schnauzer (Albert K. Ninestein) with us on trips..he travels in cars well..We have never tried air travel..and I am sure that wouldn't be a problem, but we just could never figure out what to do with him when we wanted to go to a restaurant or snorkeling..or other places that are not dog friendly. I saw some of your photos without the dog in it...What did you do with her ..when she wasn't with you?... Was she allowed to stay at the villa alone?...If so, did she have to stay in her crate?
We could do that, but wondered if this was allowed...

The only thing I dont like about taking our vacations is leaving Albert behind..It would be cool if we could take him with us.

Thanks for any info or insight you can give me...

BetsyV
BetsyV

poidog

Post by poidog »

Great write up (and pics)! and I LOVE Coco!
Follow our building blog @ Seas the Day Villa STJ