Caneel Public Beach - Public Unwelcome

Travel discussion for St. John
Sunflower

Caneel Public Beach - Public Unwelcome

Post by Sunflower »

Just returned from a wonderful two week trip to St. John. Stayed at Gallows Point Resort (been there for at least the last 10 years) - wonderful as always. During the first week, my friend and I went to Caneel, brought our bag chairs, beverages, snorkel equipment and had a lovely day at the far end of the "public beach". The following week, we went back with my friend's daughter and her boyfriend...same drill, bag chairs, cooler, snorkel equipment...and this time we were met by a woman security guard just before the restaurant. She told us that we were not allowed to bring our chairs on the beach...the only thing we could bring were our towels!!! Needless to say, we were in shock. We have always gone to Caneel beach a couple of times during our stays.

We asked when this policy had been put in place, and where was the notice of such restrictions. We then asked to speak to the manager. He was not able to tell us about when the policy was put into effect, and would not allow us to enter the beach area with our chairs. He suggested that we make the walk to Honeymoon. We were in such shock and disappointment that we then took another $30 taxi to Cinnamon instead.

Has anyone else been the victim of being unwelcome at Caneel? The manager did say that the guests had complained about day visitors setting up too near the guests chairs and cottages. We never did that...we always went to the very far right and never used Caneel chairs or set up our chairs close to any guests. So "public" beware - you are not welcome at Caneel "public" beach!! :(
Jumbiegirl

Re: Caneel Public Beach - Public Unwelcome

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I believe they've always had the no chairs rule. We stayed at Caneel this year for 4 days and nobody from "the outside" had chairs with them. There were always several day visitors around.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

Had chairs, umbrella baby stroller and walker there twice in July with no problems.
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Maybe the new management will be kinder to the non-guests. The only problem we have had is a security guard tailing us until we got to the beach and then sitting there watching us during our entire 1 hour stay on the main beach, then following us to Honeymoon before leaving us.
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
Pia

Post by Pia »

I have visited with chairs but I was aware of the no cooler rule - hoping this is not a sign of things to come :(

Pia
Last edited by Pia on Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Realtor - St John Properties
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I know that they don't allow coolers, so maybe that was it?
dhanc1

Post by dhanc1 »

I've been to Honeymoon Beach one time. It was ok, snorkling was good etc. But honestly, I don't think it is worth the hassle to pay to park or buy something, hike in, and feel unwanted the whole time you're there. There are so many beautiful beaches everywhere that I just never felt compelled to go back.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

We were on the main Caneel Beach in April with two chairs we brought in, security never batted an eye at us as we carried them to the beach or back to our Jeep.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We were there in June and could not bring chairs or a cooler...In my opinion, I don't think its that great of a beach. There are ten other beaches I'd rather spend my day on. So...they can keep their rules...and their VERY over priced drinks.... :lol:
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

I don't think it was a "cooler issue". It definitely was a "chair" issue. BTW, I was not aware of the no cooler rule...been there many, many times with a cooler! Hope the new management will not be so restrictive :)
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

piscesgirl0314 wrote:We were there in June and could not bring chairs or a cooler...In my opinion, I don't think its that great of a beach. There are ten other beaches I'd rather spend my day on. So...they can keep their rules...and their VERY over priced drinks.... :lol:
I agree, although I'd say there are more than 10...

That said, we were there in April, because my parents wanted to. The gatehouse guard told us right as we were paying to get in that we couldn't bring chairs or coolers. Doubt I'll ever go back, not because of the chair/cooler rule, just because I think there are so many better options.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

michigan girls wrote:
piscesgirl0314 wrote:We were there in June and could not bring chairs or a cooler...In my opinion, I don't think its that great of a beach. There are ten other beaches I'd rather spend my day on. So...they can keep their rules...and their VERY over priced drinks.... :lol:
I agree, although I'd say there are more than 10...

That said, we were there in April, because my parents wanted to. The gatehouse guard told us right as we were paying to get in that we couldn't bring chairs or coolers. Doubt I'll ever go back, not because of the chair/cooler rule, just because I think there are so many better options.

AGREE! We were stopped at the gatehouse as well. We'll never go back either...but then again, we're villa folks, not resort folks...so...no reason to go back! :D
metalmaho

Post by metalmaho »

I used to go in through an old access road before you get to Hawksnest. It's fenced off and grown over now. It was great. No one bothered me.
We would even bring a small cooler and hang out on Turtle Bay. Sometimes we would even buy drinks from the folks in the golf carts. Homeland security ruined it. They are considered a port now so that's the price you pay for being "safe".
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I am bummed by this. I have no problem with the no cooler rule---Caneel sells food and drinks, so its natural that they want you to buy food and drink only from them. The "no-chair" rule is the dealkiller for me. You have never been able to use the Caneel chairs, so this means there is nowhere to sit. I always enjoyed the beach at Caneel---maybe it was the memories of our honeymoon there many years ago (or maybe it was the ability to get a rum punch at the bar).
---Jim
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Hi Jim - I agree! Although we usually did bring a cooler (did not know about the no cooler rule-we always came by taxi, so never were advised at the gate), we ALWAYS had lunch at Caneel, and then before leaving always had a farewell frozen drink at the bar!

Caneel has significant sentimental connection for me, since it was my twin sister's very favorite place. She died this past March with metastatic lung cancer, so was not physically with us on this trip. While she was undergoing radiation and chemo, and any scan she ever had to endure, she would always put herself "on Caneel" and be greatly comforted. Don't know that I'll ever go back to Caneel now, but have wonderful memories of being there with her.