No see-ums @ Cinnamon bay campsites

Travel discussion for St. John
toes in the sand

No see-ums @ Cinnamon bay campsites

Post by toes in the sand »

I would like to hear from anyone who has stayed at CBC, especially campers, to hear if they had issues with no see-ums at the campsite. I am deciding if I need to upgrade my mosquito netting with no see-um grade netting. I know I will encounter them at the beach and I know how to deal with them there but will I need to protect against them at the campsite if I select a site far enough from the beach.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
silands

Re: No see-ums @ Cinnamon bay campsites

Post by silands »

We stayed at CBC and they were everywhere, out of four of us only one person was fine not one bite the rest of us were covered you just get use to it, have another rum drink :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have stayed on a baresite as well as a cottage..I didn't think they were bad at either spot. We enjoyed walks on the beach at night and of course we sprayed our legs. You will feel them while on the beach at night there, but seems like once its dark they aren't as bad as they are about dusk. I would have NP in doing either a baresite or cottage again, and I am a magnet for the mosquitoes here in NC. I get bit just walking to the car, even with the super B complex and Garlic, but we've had alot of rain lately. Hope this helps..:)
[/url]
toes in the sand

Thank you both for your quick replies.
silands, are the rum drinks applied topically or internally??? :wink:
Do either of you remember the campsite number or approximate location?
silands

Post by silands »

Cottage seven or eight I think, it is to the left when you come down the hill almost the last section of cottages, nobody is around and that little section of beach is all yours great times....and both on the rum :lol: :lol:
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

We stayed at CBC in Nov. 12 in Cottage 10, and my wife did not apply any buy spray....and she wishes she did. She had over 600-700 bites from no see ums, an she was itchy as anything. I used a Deet product, and I still was bitten. Will we go back? ABSOLUTELY! We bought a West Indies itch spray that worked very well for itch control We hung out on the beach alot, and used the shade as much as possible. I am not sure netting is worth the hassle, but I will look for a bug spray that works better. There is a natural product called nonoseeum.com. I will check to see if it is on Amazon. It is worth a try.
Tom in CT
toes in the sand

Since we have a few CBC veterans here I will ask if anyone can suggest a bare site or location that is preferable.
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

We used Cottage 10, and we liked it alot. It was al the way on the end. We did not really look at the tent sites. THe cottage was $105 a night, off season. I think the in season rate is $155.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have stayed in 8-C 10-D and site 56..loved and would go back to either one of them tomorrow..:)
[/url]
toes in the sand

Thanks all,
So JJ, looks like all three visits you have been as close as possible to the beach and still no problem with no see-ums after nightfall. What time of year were your visits? I am looking at end of Nov early Dec. I am curious about bare site 56. It is on a hill or is the hill close enough that during a rain it would receive runoff? Is there much space to move around at the site? Were there other sites that caught your eye as a possible primo site? Ideally when I camp in a campground I like to be A) as far from water as possible, B) as far from roads or busy paths as possible and C) as far from lights as possible with of course keeping a relatively level site with space to move. On past visits we have always walked past the camps and straight to the beach. Now I wish I would have payed better attention.
We know from past visits that we have gone all week with little more than a minor inconvenience from mosquitos and midges and then all of a sudden they are everywhere. And I know that the timetable for them to explode is about 7- to 10 days after a good rain (depending on temperatures and sunshine etc) So I will plan accordingly. It looks like I will stay with my mosquito netting and not pop for no see-um netting. From what I read it is a bit of a pain as it really restricts air movement through the netting.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

toes in the sand wrote:Thanks all,
So JJ, looks like all three visits you have been as close as possible to the beach and still no problem with no see-ums after nightfall. What time of year were your visits? I am looking at end of Nov early Dec. I am curious about bare site 56. It is on a hill or is the hill close enough that during a rain it would receive runoff? Is there much space to move around at the site? Were there other sites that caught your eye as a possible primo site? Ideally when I camp in a campground I like to be A) as far from water as possible, B) as far from roads or busy paths as possible and C) as far from lights as possible with of course keeping a relatively level site with space to move. On past visits we have always walked past the camps and straight to the beach. Now I wish I would have payed better attention.
We know from past visits that we have gone all week with little more than a minor inconvenience from mosquitos and midges and then all of a sudden they are everywhere. And I know that the timetable for them to explode is about 7- to 10 days after a good rain (depending on temperatures and sunshine etc) So I will plan accordingly. It looks like I will stay with my mosquito netting and not pop for no see-um netting. From what I read it is a bit of a pain as it really restricts air movement through the netting.
We were on site 56 in June 2012 and cottage 10-D in June of last yr. 8-D was in April 2009. If I were going to do a baresite I would either choose 54 or 56. I didn't care for 55 it seemed to be grown up and on a hill. We had very few people walking by as we were as far down the trail as possible and the bath house was basically only used by us. Site 56 is not too far from the beach just a quick little trek down the slope and there you are. I had thought about doing a baresite for our up coming trip but Pia mentioned it was a rainy time of the yr. so we opted for other accommodations. But even in June the heat wasnt bad...we took battery operated fans and used them at nite. There was a tarp that had been left so we left the fly off the tent for more ventilation.
Here are a few pics of site 56:
site 56 by JnJShaw, on Flickr

Campsite 56 by JnJShaw, on Flickr

Trail to the beach:
our path to the beach by JnJShaw, on Flickr

Cottage 10-D has a killer view and its very close to the water, I will add some pics from that trip as soon as I can find them..
Hope this helps...Let me know if you have any more questions..:)
[/url]
toes in the sand

Thanks JJ, that is exactly the scouting report that I was looking for! That was one huge tarp left there for you. The tarp I use is a 12 x 12 and it looks like there is plenty of room for it and my two man & single tent. Just what I wanted to know.
I hope don't mind that I looked at you Flickr site. You have some great photos there.
Thanks again. Hopefully I can pull this trip together. Camping @ CBC has been a pipe dream for years.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

You're more than welcome...that was my sons first visit and he loved it..feel free to look at any of the Flickr pics you would like. I recall Parafins had stayed on a baresite a few times as well...Maybe he will chime in...Im sure I did a trip report but Id have to search for it...I"ll look and see if I can pull it up..:)
[/url]