What is your favorite lunch or dinner place?

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

What is your favorite lunch or dinner place?

Post by Hawaii »

Ok - We are getting closer to our trip so of course I have been on the computer way too much lately :) Luckily, I am off work for the summer as I work in a school district. Anyway, on our first trip our favorite restaurant was Shipwreck just loved it. We went to several such as Skinny legs, High Tide, Tourist Trap, Aqua Bistro and had a drink at Rhumblines as our daughter loved the swing but it was just too darn hot that day to stay. So looking for new restaurants to try but know that we will revisit some of our favorites. Our two kids will eat almost anything especially our soon to be 16 year old son (here comes more grey hair). Let me know your favorites.
rImage
DonnaM

Re: What is your favorite lunch or dinner place?

Post by DonnaM »

Unfortunately for me, my kids will eat anything and stopped ordering off the children's menu a long time ago. So they love La Tapa, Rhumb Lines etc. for dinner and Banana Deck, Beach Bar and Shipwreck Landing for lunch. We are trying to branch out a little so when we bring them down in July, we are going to try DaLivio, Fatty Crab and Morgan's Mango for dinner. Lunch is always where the wind takes us. Sun Dog cafe has been great for lunch and dinner lately.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Probably our favorites are..Shipwreck, JJ's Texas Coast has a good breakfast and lunch...Banana Deck was good as well..
[/url]
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Sun Dog Cafe is great for lunch and dinner!! Love Lime Inn for dinner as well!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

DonnaM wrote:Unfortunately for me, my kids will eat anything and stopped ordering off the children's menu a long time ago.
Yep, I have one of those too. In February, he offered his opinion on Morgan's versus the Lime Inn's lobster. (Morgan's came out on top.)

The Ocean Grill is one of our favorite lunch spots to get out of the sun.

We really enjoyed sushi at Caneel. The serving sizes are generous.

Fatty Crab was good but I thought the menu was limited, there was just and few selections. We did enjoy it but I am glad it was our second stop that night because if we would have came hungry, we would have left hungry. I knew the plates were small, I just expected to be able to order more of them.
PatrickMcc

Post by PatrickMcc »

Our favorites are Shipwreck, Lime Inn, Morgans Mango and Joe's Barbecue. The Beach Bar is fun but we didn't think the food matched up to the others. If they reopen, we love the pizza from Cafe Roma.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

We just came back last week after 10 days on Island. Been going for 10 years...and this is the first year we have ever gone to Aqua Bistro....ended up going twice...we like it that much. Went on live music nights. I had the Bistro Grouper and Hubby had the Grouper with shredded Lobster on it. IT WAS SO GOOOOD ! :D

Also went to Lime Inn on Shrimp night ( first time in a few years) , there was 8 of us with no reservations...but got in and seated in 20 minutes! Amazing !!
Last edited by philbetm on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
" I believe there's Magic here...."
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

philbetm - I know how you feel about people being rude. On our last vist two years ago we did not have a great experience at Aqua Bistro and for that reason will probably not return. I am sure it was probably an off night but left a bad feeling. Sorry, you had a bad experience with Shipwreck but I know we will try it as it was one of our kids favorites. Hopefully, we will not have the bad luck that you did and it was just an off night like our visit to Aqua Bistro. Thanks everyone for all your feedback so far loving it!!! :)
rImage
toni

Post by toni »

Sogo's is always a must stop for us. Like the veggie fungi and plantain.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

All of the above :)

We had a good dinner at Fish Trap in November, a couple of excellent lunches at Joe's Rum Hut and delicious Sunday Brunch at Rhumblines.
janet
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

We also love Sogos for West Indian food. The meals come with several different side dishes.

One of our favs for a late afternoon meal is Spyglass. It has such a lovely view over Cruz Bay and the comings and goings of the boats. When we were there in 2012, the food was excellent. My husband had fish (can't remember - maybe grouper?) with a curry sauce and crusted nuts. It was great.

Another vote for Shipwreck after a long day of snorkeling at Little Lameshur.

Enjoyed great lobster and very nice service at Lime Inn. Its now on our "must do" list.

We got carry out from Starfish a few times and it was surprisingly good. We take it back to the our villa and eat on the deck with the wonderful view. I think Coconuts mentioned it in his posting as well. We've tried a fish dinner, West Indian stewed beef, curried chicken and curried salmon. They were all good and came with tons of rice and beans (too much to eat, so we saved it to have with dinner the next day).

One place we want to try on our next trip is Ekaete in Coral Bay. The reviews for it are great.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

My now twenty year old boys love Sun dog and Banana Deck as well S others mentioned. After living here a while and talking to folks , I would NOT go to Ekaete. I am happy to discuss why of you sends a PM but prefer not to publicly post it. I went back and forth whether I should even post that but decided the forum is like family!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Lunch: Shipwreck Landing, Miss Lucy's, Waterfront Bistro

Dinner: La Tapa, Fatty Crab, Zozos
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
mfaughey

Post by mfaughey »

Lunch - Shipwreck or Caneel

Dinner - Zozos for that special meal!
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Lunch: Tourist Trap, Larry's Lobsta Rolls are "The Best! :P
Dinner: Aqua Bistro Anything MJ creates is "Awesome!" :wink: