Which trails/hikes to do?

Travel discussion for St. John
Hawaii

Which trails/hikes to do?

Post by Hawaii »

I am so so excited that our much needed vacation is getting very close. Our 12 year old daughter is very interested in the history of STJ. She wants to see the Annaberg Ruins so will do that with her but probably leave my husband out for this one since he is allergic to bees and I have read where there are nests. Any other suggestions for our family. My husband will probably only do short hikes (he has bad feet) and our son will be turning 16 in July so he is in good shape too!! I think the kids and I are doing Rams head hike but any other ones that we should not miss?? Thanks and so looking forward to STJ :)
rImage
News of St. John

Re: Which trails/hikes to do?

Post by News of St. John »

Ram Head is definitely a favorite of mine. The views at the top are incredible; just make sure to bring lots of water.

There is a very, very short hike up to Peace Hill. The views at the top are beautiful there as well. There are nests in the ruins, so your husband would want to stay away from that section but he would still be able to enjoy the views.
Jenn, News of St. John
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Ram Head for sunset... a must do for us. I also like Caneel Hill/Margaret Hill. I'm all about getting a good view! From Little Lameshur it's fun to hike over to Europa Bay. If you go to Annaberg and plan to walk out to Waterlemon, then continue on the Johnny Horn trail up the hill to the two sets of ruins.
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Just a quick question on Annaberg. Since we have only been to STJ once I am still trying to get where everything is located. Annaberg is near Waterlemon?? Definitely want to do Rams head and yes will have to do it early before it gets real hot. Thanks again.
rImage
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

Yes. You will park in the same parking lot for both. Annaberg is either up the small hill or up the stairs through the woods. The trail to Waterlemon starts at the base of the hill to Annaberg next to the water.
Jenn, News of St. John
vacagirl

Post by vacagirl »

I enjoyed the walk down to Honeymoon Beach. Your husband may not like this one if he has bad feet but the rest of you would. The beach is beautiful. Peace Hill is a good one. Good views but the last time I was there it was a little overgrown. There were a few bees in the ruins but they didn't seem to care that we were there.
My Heart is in St. John!
54b

Post by 54b »

If I could only do one hike on STJ, it would definitely be Ram Head...a good mix of ups and downs with several visual payoffs not only at the end but along the way as well. Plus, if you're into snorkeling, I really enjoy hiking out to the tip of Ram Head, but then entering the water at Cobblestone Beach and snorkeling all the way back to Salt Pond Beach...if you have the energy, the short side trip over to Drunk Bay is worth it too to see all the Coral sculptures people have made on the beach.

That said, if you're daughter's into the history as well as the adventure, you might want to look into the guided tour the National Park Service offers for the Reef Bay Hike...it's a tough hike, but the NPS has a deal where they shuttle you up to the trailhead on Centerline and then take you back by boat from the beach at the end of the hike. That way you only have go downhill and it IS down hill...the first mile of the hike drops over 1000 vertical feet. Anyway, the Ranger leading the hike shares a lot about the history of the area as well as the flora and fauna. And the side trip over to see the Petroglyphs (ancient rock carvings) is cool, kind of makes you feel like Indiana Jones :D

Lastly, it sounds like you're going to STJ this summer and I'll just remind you to take lots of water when you're hiking...you can get dehydrated real quick in that humidity. I'd also encourage you to go early in the morning, especially for Ram Head. It's unique in that about half the hike is in a tree-less, arid part of the island with no place to avoid the elements.

Have fun.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

This can be a full day trip with almost everything we love about St. John. If winds are calm out of the North East I would recommend the Browns Bay trail. It begins east of Coral Bay with a nice parking area by the NPS firing range. I think it is a mile and half in total with a relative steep climb up to gain the ridge and a walk down the other side to a secluded sand beach. Once there and since you will be there in low season you may have the beach to yourselves or just a few other hardy souls who have hiked it. To the left side of the bay can be remarkably good shallow water snorkeling out to the point. Since this bay faces approximately north east I would recommend a calm day for snorkeling. After your snorkel again to the left end of the bay are un-restored ruins partially covered in the underbrush. A great opportunity for discovery.

http://www.stjohnbeachguide.com/Trails/ ... trail.html
Chet

Post by Chet »

Two words - Trail Bandit.
http://www.trailbandit.org/maps-online
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
sherban

Post by sherban »

I agree that you should download and study the trail bandit map...it is really detailed and helpful!

Also check out the "Every Trail" website and use the app while Hiking to map your hike!

http://www.everytrail.com/search.php?q=St+John+USVI
vav

Post by vav »

This is the payoff at the end of Ram Head. Well worth the hike!

Sawed that board three times and it is still too short...
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Rams head is a definite for my son and I and maybe our 12 year old daughter. Hubby will not make this hike. Last time took him to Salt Pond he was not very happy with the climb back up the hill- although he did like the beach and snorkeling. How early should we hike Rams Head? We will be there at the end of July?? Yes, we will bring lots of water!!! Will we see other people hiking on the trail? My fear is that we will not be able to find the trail so just wondering if you see other people. Thanks so much!
rImage
CinnBay

Post by CinnBay »

You may enjoy the Catherineburg Sugar Mill ruins. It's not a hike so even your husband could enjoy them. My husband and I enjoyed exploring the ruins. The ruins are located on John Head Road a short distance frm Centerline Road.
54b

Post by 54b »

Hawaii wrote:How early should we hike Ram Head? We will be there at the end of July?? Yes, we will bring lots of water!!! Will we see other people hiking on the trail? My fear is that we will not be able to find the trail so just wondering if you see other people. Thanks so much!
I'd say as long as you've started by no later than say 8:30am, you'll be fine...it's about 1.5 miles from the Salt Pond parking area to the tip and I'd guess most people take about 2 to 2.5 hours to do it with frequent stops to take pics and look around. If I were you, I'd want to be done with any hard or long hiking by 11am or so, before the sun gets high in the sky.

And though July is pretty deep into off season, you should see at least a few other folks out on the trails. Once you walk down the obvious trail from the parking area to the actual Salt Pond Beach, you'll cross the beach walking close to the water on the hard pack sand (helps prevent kicking up soft sand into your shoes). At the other end of the beach, you'll see a sign with an arrow for Ram Head and for Drunk Bay. The Ram Head trail simply follows the left coastline of Salt Pond Bay for a good while, it is fairly well marked and worn by frequent hikers. I will say that the trail gets somewhat tricky at around the halfway point where you hit cobblestone beach (second beach on the hike, all rocks, but small, easy to walk on). But you just keep walking along the beach to the end where the vegetation starts again and you'll see the continuation of the dirt trail, it's usually marked by a cairn (stack of rocks left by other hikers to mark the way).

It's a peninsula, so very hard to get lost...you're either walking out to the tip or coming back...go left or right and you're probably swimming. :D
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Hawaii

Post by Hawaii »

Thanks everyone and 54b for giving me the information on Rams Head. We will definitely get out early, I am thinking 7:30 at the latest. I am an early riser and the kids can be at times. Our son gets up early on the weekends anyway as he works as a caddy and if not working playing baseball so I know he will want to do this. Thanks again and we will look for those landmarks of rocks so we don't end up in the water!!
rImage