Trip Report 6/12/13 - 6/19/13

Travel discussion for St. John
sherban

Trip Report 6/12/13 - 6/19/13

Post by sherban »

This is a short version of a trip report with links to lots of photos, and since a picture tells a thousand words it should suffice.

We took our two kids to STJ for their first visit this summer, our daughter is 11 and our son is 14, they both love to snorkel and went to Aruba and snorkeled with us two years ago so they're pros by now :) .

American Airlines from ATL-MIA-STT, pretty much went off without a hitch then rented a four door Jeep from Dependable on STT, this is my 3rd time renting from them and they have been great. The pick us up at the airport, short drive back to their office for paperwork and we're off....KEEP LEFT DAD!

We brought a bunch of frozen meat with us in an insulated hot/cold bag in a carry on to help simplify shopping and keep costs down, we also brought 3 pairs of fins with 4 masks and snorkels all in carry on. We stopped at Plaza Extra on STT for groceries and then onto the car barge in Red Hook...all went smoothly and we actually saw our first turtle while on the car barge...floated by us while onboard!

We stayed at Debolina up off of Ajax Peak and rented through Windspree. The folks at windspree were good and we loved the villa, the up-high BVI view is what I love and this villa did not dissapoint. The villa has 5 BRs and 3 1/2 BAs all under one roof, also has AC in all BRs except the loft. The villa is not luxury/top end but there isn't much to complain about either (full villa review to come).
Our first day (travel day) we didn't make it to a beach but we enjoyed the villa view and the kids hit the pool then we grilled burgers and watched Game One of the Stanley cup at the villa (on NBC)....Bruins win!

Day two was at Maho and we had a nice beach day and snorkel, everyone had a chance to get accustomed to their equipment again and Maho was beautiful...then we went to Cinnamon later in the day and saw a turtle and a ray, I love Cinnamon! Dinner was take out BBQ from cases by the sea...I called them ahaead of time..."hey are you guys making BBQ tonight?"----"Yeah mon, definately!", "OK, can I put in a take out order?"----"Yeah Mon, definately!".....BBQ was pretty good.

Day three was at Gibney/Oppenheimer, Great beach and my daughter got to ride the tire swing...Yay! This was a fun beach and the kids were impressed with STJ once again!

She looks happy...
Later that afternoon we went into town to look around a bit, get some fresh fruit smoothies, visit St John Spice to buy some spices, sauce, and forum bracelets (talked to the lady at the counter, she was a HOOT! she's from Georgia and has a son at UGA, I'm a Ga Tech grad so we are mortal enemies...we had alot of fun with that, she is funny!

Day four was the short hike from North Shore road to Salomon Beach, Hike info here (with map and photos):
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2178042
We loved Salomom....what's not to love about that beach...!
Later that night we pulled a last minute villa invitation off and were very fortunate to have Kevin stop over for a while to talk! Talking to Kevin was kinda like an episode of Discover Channel or "Nova", what an interesting and experienced guy. I feel fortunate that my son got to sit with Kevin and hear about technology, physics, business, farming, genetics, telescopes, etc...thanks so much for sharing time with us Kevin!

Day five was father's day and it was a treat to be in STJ with my kids that day! I'm so proud of them...
This day was a return trip to Maho, after hearing Islandjo saw so much cool stuff there the day before and also 54b said he was headed there, it sounded like a great option because we just wanted to relax and Maho is super convenient to Debolina/Ajax Peak!
Three thw football with my son and snorkeled with the kids, saw rays, many turtles, and fish-a-plenty...even got to meet Mr and Mrs 54b and son! It was a pleasure to meet the legendary 54b, a really nice guy...fun to chat, maybe we'll meet again sometime!
Then a trip to The Beach Bar to meet forum friends, that was fun...who has the photos??
So nice to meet all of you, thanks for coming out to socialize!

Day six was a trip to Waterlemon and some time there with Islandjo and family, really nice bunch of people, nice kids and fun to hang out with, thanks for meeting us Jo!
Got the map fixed up now:, http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2181769

We went out to the Cay and looked around, it was very cool (as usual), water was a bit choppy on the "outside" but there were no currents to speak of. We got to see a starfish, a HUGE hermit crab, a ray, and a spotted eagle ray too! We heard of a shark out there but couldn't find it.
Jo and familiy humored me and went along with the idea to picnic at the ruins at the top of the hill overlooking the harbour..this is my favorite "secret place" on the island...what a VIEW!
We wrapped up the day with a trip to Aqua Bistro..great Mahi Mahi...four thumbs up!
Forgot to take pics before we started...sorry!
We had two blackened and one Jerked...and chicken strips for the girl...
On our last full day we decided to go to Trunk Bay Beach...we got there ~11 AM and found a good sopt on the beach, it wasn't too crowded yet...beautiful beach!
Throwing football, swimming and snorkeling on Trunk, were awesome...
Then it started to get a little crowded...and we were outta there...a stop at Joes Rum Hut for "the big G"
.Image
...and back to our pool for a private swim with a view!

What a ride, ...but all good things must come to an end...
A shout out to my daughter's fascination with ADORABLE donkeys...
Thanks to the kids for opening and closing the villa gate a million times...and my wife for putting up with my last minute plans and early morning beers...
" Our dad would take us on family vacations every year that he knew we couldn't afford...to create memories we couldn't afford to be without."
(borrowed from Bigcheese) :)
Last edited by sherban on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Re: Trip Report 6/12/13 - 6/19/13

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Loved this report! Looked at all your pictures. AHHH! Can't wait to be back there! Soon come! Thanks for sharing!
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

Love your report and pictures. Thanks for sharing your adventures, can't wait to get there and make our own memories. You have a lovely family and your children are little clones!
Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...

~Tammy
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Sherban - I sure missed your helpful posts on the forum the last couple of years. I'm sure I speak for many when I tell you that it's good to see your frequent posts again. Looks like you had a great trip and did indeed make lots of memories. Good for you!
54b

Post by 54b »

Jim, it was great to meet you and your family...you're definitely a kindred STJ spirit as we both try to take as big of a bite of the island as we can while on vacation.

Sunday at Maho was terrific...I love how everyone there is on the same page, very friendly, inclusive and eager to see that all have a good time.

Funny story...the night before, we asked everyone around the dinner table what one thing they wanted to do before the week was over. Most everyone said something like go to a certain beach, eat at a a specific restaurant, etc. Then my friend's daughter said, "see a turtle." I felt like Babe Ruth talking to the kid at the hospital who asked him to hit a homer for him.

But wow did Maho deliver. I swam out after we got there and boom, all of sudden found two teenage turtles munching down on some sea grass. I waved to everyone else on the beach to swim out to me as I followed them. Then, boom, their grandpa turtle showed, huge. And if that wasn't enough, on the way back to the beach, we stumbled upon like 5 or 6 rays all hanging out together.

Later that day, my friend's daughter and son snorkeled out by themselves and saw a turtle on their own. That was cool and Maho is probably the only beach we'd feel comfortable letting them do that.

Good stuff, glad you had a great trip. Enjoyed meeting you.
Last edited by 54b on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I love Bigcheese's quote. We lived with hand me down furniture and cars with 200,000+ miles and me dad showed me the world. I still remember his somewhat disappointment when I decided to NOT take a gap year and go to college instead of hopping a freighter.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Great report! So sorry we didn't get to meet up - you sound like such a great guy and your family sounds wonderful! Sounds like I just missed the Beach Bar gang by minutes! Hopefully next time!! Glad everyone had so much fun!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

That quote makes me smile and so does your trip report. It's not easy to get to the island for sure... but the reward is priceless. :)
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Nice report! I have to agree, some of my family's best memories have been on our STJ vacations. Some people say it's not worth taking the kids, I think it makes for memories they (and I) will carry forever.
Tickerless :(
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Tom and I was at Maho on Thursday as well....and we were sitting right beside you on the beach. :lol: I wasn't sure enough to speak...but when I saw your pics I knew for sure it was you and your family. Wish now that I had said Hello ! We were sitting on your left ! I could tell you were having a good time...playing with your kids ! :D Then on your next day at Maho...our whole group of 8 was there again as well. We were packing up to leave the parking lot just as you were pulling out ! We ate at Aqua Bistro twice on this trip...never been there before...it was Good!! First time on Friday ( 14th) night , just the two of us. Then again on Thurs. night (20th.) all eight of us at 7:30. Everyone loved it !

Sherry in S.C.
" I believe there's Magic here...."
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

" Our dad would take us on family vacations every year that he knew we couldn't afford...to create memories we couldn't afford to be without."
(borrowed from Bigcheese)

By far, the best quote I've read on the forum.
Jenn, News of St. John
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thanks for the nice comments! It was our pleasure meeting those of you who we met on island this year!!

My lessons learned this year....stay longer next time and pre-arrange more get togethers if possible.

Leslie, so sorry I didn't get to meet you, hopefully next time...

Cheers- Sherb
islandjo2010

Post by islandjo2010 »

Awesome report Jim!
Agree with you completely...more time on St. John and plan more meetings with Forum Friends!
Glad you all made it home safely with all the heavy rains that day.

LOVE the quote! Memories are priceless...MAKE THEM as often as possible!

All the best,
Jo
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Great report, and Go Dawgs!

sherban

Post by sherban »

Sherry in SC, sorry we missed you...maybe next time...

GraysonDave....good lookin' dawg....woof-woof. :roll: