The reason behind when you go to STJ

Travel discussion for St. John
smilesfromMN

The reason behind when you go to STJ

Post by smilesfromMN »

Here in MN, summer is basically the one time of year when I want to be in our state, with fall (if we actually get a real fall) being a close second. I actually don't want to leave MN then. We don't plan out-of-state travel in the summer, and I wouldn't spend the money to go to STJ at that time of year. If we won a trip, we'd happily go (duh), but we save our money to go in the winter even though that means we go less frequently because we have to pay in-season rates.
I know that there are a lot of different reasons for when people travel: work schedules, school schedules, in/out of season rates, weather preference, crowd preference, weddings/honeymoons, etc.

So, when do you go to STJ and why?
:D
Bluestreak12

Re: The reason behind when you go to STJ

Post by Bluestreak12 »

I'm going in the summer mainly because my wife is a teacher and can't get off during the school year. She does have spring break though the last two weeks of march and we are hoping to travel more then now that our kids are older.
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Hi SmilesfromMN!

I also live in MN (Lakeville) and like you love our summers and the fall. That said, our first trip to STJ was last summer (late July, early Aug) and we loved it. We enjoyed the very warm sunshine, smaller crowds and the feeling of being on "island time" with no rush to make a restaurant reservation or having to get to the beach early to find a good spot. I haven't enjoyed a STJ winter visit, but I get the feeling that some of that may be lost during the high season - although it still beats -30 windchills!

We enjoyed it enough to rebook for the same time this summer. The only down side is we almost find ourselves wishing away the MN summer. That week in July can't come soon enough!!! :)
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
tropicdawg

Post by tropicdawg »

Same dependency as Bluestreak. I have four dogs I wouldn't think of kenneling and my house sitter is a teacher. When she was in college we typically went in early may. Since she started teaching we shift it to June. She ends her school year on Thursday and we our outta here at 7 am Friday morning :D
Image[/img]
MN_Bhoy

Post by MN_Bhoy »

By the way, my wife is a teacher too and summer is really the only time we can get away!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We always go in June or July. Living in Virginia Beach, its normally cooler on island than in our state. That said, we have a school aged daughter and like taking her on a 'summer vacation'. Also, I like the off season rates for villas, car, etc...I've also heard its less crowded during the summer and the water his warmer. I would LOVE to be on STJ over Christmas and NYE, though...could be a possiblity in the future...for now...I'm happy going during the summer months
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We used to go in the summer every other year or so. There was a time when Caneel was putting good deals out there and we could get "cheap" airfare. Sounds a little nutty but we could go to STJ for the same cost as renting a house in nice NE beach towns. But I noticed over the past three summers, the deals weren't as good as in the past and we simply could not find flights that worked (schedule wise) at a price we could tolerate.

We started taking winter trips back in 2003. My husband truly hates winter and cold weather and because the best time for us to get away from work is January/February, winter trips win out over summer ones.
arenee

Post by arenee »

I'm also from Minnesota (Hugo). We have always traveled the middle of April so that we can take advantage of low season rates but still feel like we are getting away from the long Minnesota winters. Our kids were young enough we didn't mind pulling them out of school to travel then. In addition, I own a travel agency so traveling during the winter months is pretty tough as that is our "busy" time. Next year my oldest will be starting high school and we aren't comfortable pulling him out of high school for a family vacation. So it looks like we may be leaving our beautiful Minnesota summer for a vacation in St. John. I can't think of any destination other than St. John that would be worth leaving Minnesota for in the summer!
KidLiggy

Post by KidLiggy »

Also have a spouse teacher so June is much easier to plan 8-10 days. We did March last year and were a little shocked by the crowds, especially at Maho, so back to June for us (next year).

And ironically every June trip we have taken it's been hotter/more humid back home in Iowa, so for us it's been a "break from the heat".
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Before kids, we'd plan our trips in the fall (Nov or early Dec). It was usually getting cold in NY and we'd want to get away, but without the fear of snowstorms delaying flights and without paying high season rates.
Since kids, we've been going in the spring to celebrate both their birthdays April/May, and get away with low season rates. Since school is now a factor, we made our first high season trip on the school spring break (few days early to catch better airfare). Now that we live in Florida, weather at home is no longer a factor and pretty much we would go whenever there is break from school and the price is right.
Tickerless :(
Ed S

Post by Ed S »

We have been going annually in the fall since 2008. 2008 was the first year that both our kids were away at college (i.e. not home to worry about), so my wife and I started going in early/mid November, to take advantage of the lower shoulder season rates, and be a bit outside of the busy "H" season (and coincidentally was always during my birthday which was nice). After a very, very wet November 2010, we decided to move to early December since then. Weather has been great, and still enjoy the shoulder season rates (and a nice trip after Thanksgiving but before the Christmas holidays). Already planned to do the same this year (Dec. 7-15).
Image[/url]
tochin

Post by tochin »

We also primarily go based upon school schedules but here in NC we happen to be on a year round school schedule, so we have 3 weeks off in October, January, April, and July. We love it that we can plan family vacations during non-peak times. We are headed back to "The Rock" in October this year. Just hope to dance around any hurricanes!
54b

Post by 54b »

Funny, I think June is getting so popular, it's going to have to be re-designated Medium or Middle Season instead of low.

We choose June for the reasons you'd expect, but the difference in villa prices from high to low season is probably the driver...I'm always amazed at how different it is...often more than $1000. The weather must really be something in high season for that big of price increase...or maybe it is the demand from Northerners who want to escape the harsh winters that does that.

June is also the end of school for the kids, less crowded, easier to rent villas/cars, the majority of island still open...and as for the weather, it's still cooler on STJ than in it is Texas at that time of year and though it is hotter in low season, the combo of higher temps and less rain seems to keep the mosquitos from being quite so bad.

About the only thing I'm not crazy about in June is the Sahara Dust....I love those bright blue sky days on STJ and sometimes that dulls it a bit.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Chet

Post by Chet »

Mrs. Random and I have the same birthday, so we gift each other a trip in October.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
ChipN

Post by ChipN »

We are Texans as well and prefer the July/August timeframe to escape our brutal heat. The lower costs and less crowded scene also suits us. We've migrated to July more recently as most places are still open at that time. This year it's July 15-25 and we can't wait.