Sea Lice

Travel discussion for St. John
P-600

Sea Lice

Post by P-600 »

Today at Hawksnest both my husband and a friend were stung by sea lice. We couldnt see them but they left a nasty burn like mark that was bubbling and oozy. It is very painful. If you do get stung use vinegar on the wound.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Myheart'sinSTJ

Re: Sea Lice

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

I have never heard of sea lice, yikes! I assume they are tiny creatures? Do they attack you in little schools? And do they attack randomly or if you swim into them by accident?
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Sea lice are tiny microscopic jellyfish. Not going to see them just one of the hazards of snorkeling. I spend alot of time snorkeling and only had it happen one time at Solomon, just a couple of stings. Rash gaurds will help, must be why they are named that. I wear them for sun protection cause i get sick of reapplying lotion all the time cause i spend so much time in the water.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

I've never experienced them in St. John, but used to "run" into them a lot this time of year in South Florida. Benadryl also helps.
janet
SandyPants

Post by SandyPants »

Are sea lice the same as pica-pica jellyfish? We encountered these in Belize and were told that people develop an allergy to them with continued exposure. Have seen small jellyfish (golf ball size) this trip but no one has been stung or had any sort of adverse reaction. Hope you feel better soon!