New to the Forum on Island 5.18. to 5.25

Travel discussion for St. John
Turtle girl

New to the Forum on Island 5.18. to 5.25

Post by Turtle girl »

Hello to everyone,

I am new to this forum and am not really sure what i am doing but..... a mutaul friend in NJ Maho Jim told me I should write. My husband am I are staying on the Coral Bay side this year and looking for any must dos while there. Thanks!

Turtle girl
Turtle girl Posts: 1Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 pm

PS thanks..... Jimg20 for letting me know I should be on this forum.. told you I ddn't know what I am doing !
CaseyB

Re: New to the Forum on Island 5.18. to 5.25

Post by CaseyB »

Island Blues, Cases by the Sea, Skinny Legs. And Vie's beach is one of the best!
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

First of all, go back and read some of the recent forum posts like this one: http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/v ... =1&t=25326
There were some great suggestions on that thread, and I'm not going to repeat the one I made there. :wink:

Get your hands on a copy of "Feet, Fins and 4-Wheel Drive." There might not be time for you to buy in advance, but most villas have a copy, and if yours doesn't you can buy the book on the island. It's fun to read and full of great tips.

I recommend taking one or more of the driving tours from the book with your copilot reading aloud as you go. We had a wonderful time on our last trip following the book out to the East End, stopping to snorkel along the way at Princess Bay and Hansen Bay. It was like having a chatty local friend along for the ride telling all the local gossip.

If you're new to snorkeling, start at one of the sandy north shore beaches: Trunk or Cinnamon if you want bathrooms and lifeguards, Maho if you don't care about that.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

You are doing fine. Don't worry about it. In STJ, we're not real big on laws, rules and regulations.

Make Jim give you his copies of F, F & 4WD. If anyone in NJ has it, it's him.

We're hoping to see you at the Beach Bar on the 19th. There are a lot of Forumites with much more experience than me who will also be on the island that week. Let's all get together and get them completely adicted to STJ.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

We will be there!!!! We need a special signal that we are forum people, like some kind of scarf or something. We are staying in Coral bay! The beaches on that end are great!, but my first time beach would be Maho! Then Trunk. I love Maho Though! (Facing out the right side is amazing snorkeling!) Where are you staying? We will be up Sea Grape hill.
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Welcome Turtle Girl! You don't have to feel pressured to cram everything into one week. If you're like everyone else here, you WILL be back! Enjoy.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

I put you on the calendar - thanks for joining the forum! The usual way to get on the calendar is to make a request to me via PM - with the dates and island. Have a great trip!
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Capn Dan and Ruby wrote:We will be there!!!!
We're going in May. Aren't you going in June?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Pulley

Post by Pulley »

Not sure of snorkeling experience or if you a good swimmer BUT I am going with experience and comfortable in the water! :-) I would go to Hansen Bay, Salt Pond (but go past the beach and snorkel Blue Cobblestone back to SP), Lameshur Bay and visit VIERS. Kiddle Bay is another GREAT snorkel spot but a little harder to get to. Maho is fantastic and dead center of the bay is the best snorkel for turtles. Haulover Bay is another great snorkel it has some of the best coral I have ever see. I can'twait for our trip - 06/26 - 07/05!!!!
sabalpom

Post by sabalpom »

Hey Pully,

I will be there 6/30-7/6!!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Hey there, Turtlegirl!
Not sure you'll be back here on the forum before you go on Saturday, but just wanted to encourage you to hit the Beach Bar for the forumite gathering,or at least meet up with some of the folks also staying over Coral Bay,-wonderful people,you & hubby will fit right in! Reach out & have fun with new friends! Have to agree with Capn Dan-wear something distinctive to be sure you recognize eachother,glowbracelets/necklaces,or something fun...
SO overwhelmingly excited for you & everyone else going to be there,miss it so much!
Think of my sorry ass when you're limin' at Aqua Bistro, and sucking up the sun & serenity of those delicious beaches...Can't wait to see the pix!
Must do's-
-tons of "unpacking!!!"
-Maho,Francis,Jumbie,Gibney,Hawksnest,repeat.
-have a nice dinner at Rhumblines,awesome atmosphere
-hit Aqua Bistro AT LEAST an hour a day for lunch,appetizersadult beverages,-LOVE the whimsy that that joint brings. Mucho casual & lazy. The food is great,too,had an unbelievable seafood dinner last trip
-mozy down to Shipwreck; love the conchfritters, nice dinner spot
-need I say it...? Skinny's for a sandwich!!!
- I personally like eating at the villa in the morning, but try breakfast at Donkey Diner (if it's still open...) to put together whatever lazy plans you're going to make for the day,and check out that little shop that shares the front porch entrance,good finds there!
-Vie's/Hansen...yumm-o
- reach out to Eagleraylover & Augie- they just moved there! If they're available,I'm more than certain that they'll help you enjoy your vaca & introduce you to some wonderful people! If you do, please give them my best!!!
-if you do indeed go to the Beachbar gathering and feel comfortable with the forum family,why not have them back to the house for cocktails/food,whatever...? Don't be shy to join them back to theirs,either. Great way to share experiences with new friends,look at other villas for possible future trips,talk about your days adventures,plan on the next days excursions,etc...
-be sure to try to write /video/take pix of your adventures daily,folks here on the board love to hear about the ups/downs,questions/answers that they may have regarding where you stayed,ate,liked/disliked,etc...we love trip reports! Personally,I like to keep a daily log/journal so's I don't forget even the small things...Again,I'm so excited for your upcoming relaxing visit-enjoy yourselves!
Get Nekkid!!!
See you when you get home!
Smiles-
MJ
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

First lets all say yeah for a post from Maho Jim!! Turtle girl- I would live to get together with you guys sometime during the trip! I was just talking about the Beach bar for Sunday with traveljohn and we both will be there too!! I'm easy tons pit as my hair has been recently shaved and is very short still!
Over the years , we have met some great forum people who have become great friends! Please come and play with us!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
StJohnbum

Post by StJohnbum »

We arrive on STJ the day you leave. On the Coral Bay side and since it is your 1st trip my list would be

Lunch at Miss Lucy's
Snorkel Haulover North
Maho
Donkey Diner for breakfast

Whatever you do you will love it. The downside is you will become one of the undead like the rest of us. Living a life full of wild emotional swings from total bliss, time on STJ, and complete misery, the waiting before the next trip is booked. Enjoy and welcome to your next addiction.