Wouldn't it be nice....

Travel discussion for St. John
Lindy

Wouldn't it be nice....

Post by Lindy »

.....if the Forum had a spot where we could leave things to be used by others? Sort of a lending "library" so to speak. Things like noodles or inflatable rafts that no one wants to haul home. Or unused sunscreen and bugspray or the high bottomed beach chairs for people with hip or knee problems. Extra snorkel gear could be donated, a few copies of the STJ guidebooks, sand toys for kids, etc. So many of us go each year that it would be SO nice not to have to haul EVERYTHING along if we didn't have to.

Just dreaming.....I'd volunteer to be the "librarian" if we could find a nice sized closet that would fit a bed for me!! LOL.
liamsaunt

Re: Wouldn't it be nice....

Post by liamsaunt »

We've talked about this before and many agree that it would be a great thing. There is a business in Orlando called Owners Locker that provides storage for frequent visitors to Disney and I would love if something like that existed on St. John. It would be nice not to have to haul snorkel fins, heavy fish guides, etc. every time. My guess is that a business like that would have too high of an overhead to make a profit though. The wapa charges alone would probably kill it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Maybe Augie & ERL could run a lending closet business out of their new home! ;-)
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Here's an idea I'd read about on another island forum. The main town on this island has a little charity shop. Visitors who are aware of the shop can donate chairs, coolers, floats, what have you, to this shop, and all proceeds go to local non-profits. That's a great model. If I'm going to buy a noodle or finish reading a book while on vacation, I'd be happy to donate it at the end of my stay if I knew that it would somehow help others in the community.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Oh, and the other part of this equation is that this store is no doubt a great place to find good buys for your vacation!
augie

Post by augie »

michigancouple wrote:Maybe Augie & ERL could run a lending closet business out of their new home! ;-)
:wink:
Come see us!
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

My first thought was the cost of renting a space and electricity would be prohibitive for any money generated. Wouldn't it be nice if the animal shelter had a small covered spot on site during open hours? We could donate fins, coolers, beach toys, chairs, STJ books, even leftover rum (is there even such a thing?!). New visitors could purchase them for a nominal fee, return them at the end of their stay, except the rum, recycling items to the next group. The shelter already pays the maintenance of the property, and it could provide extra revenue for the dogs. An added bonus would be that those not aware of the shelter would probably stay and see the operation. I know space is at a premium for them but it could be a win-win situation! I wish it could be a possibility....the revenue could pay for things like food, cleaning supplies, etc. What a great dream!
CHM

Post by CHM »

I have said this exact thing so many times! I started gathering sand toys and trucks today for my little boy to bring to STJ in two weeks. It would be so nice to have a locker where we could leave things for the next year.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

Lindy wrote:I'd volunteer to be the "librarian" if we could find a nice sized closet that would fit a bed for me!! LOL.
Can't we put a bunk bed in there - I would be an awesome assistant librarian :)
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

That would be good....that way we could take turns testing the snorkel gear, beach chairs, sand toys, floaties, etc. to make sure that they are in proper working order!! :wink:
54b

Post by 54b »

Potential idea for ya...I figure the place that makes the most logistical sense to keep this "VIOL share closet" is a rental car place. If you think about it, that's where you almost always begin and end your time on STJ...plus, you'd have the car to carry the stuff and while one person was getting the car, the other could be looking through the closet.

We then put a combination lock on the closet and indemnify the rental car lot owner against any liability for the contents of the closet. We would have a thread on the forum called, "Request the VIOL share closet combo." Then someone (combo keeper) who visits the forum all the time (maybe someone like Pia) would PM the VIOL forum member with the combo. After the trip, the forum member who used the closet would chime back in that they'd returned the stuff, the condition of it and if any updates and improvements are needed...that way there's an ongoing dialog, update on what's available and ongoing accountability.

Now we just need one enterprising rental car place to host this closet and see the competitive advantages it could allow them over other places that don't have the "VIOL Share Closet."
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Great idea! Actually, this would be a great idea for any business that had some extra space because it would almost guarantee a stream of traffic. Maybe Pia could spread the word for us if she sees this.
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

I have seen ads for this kind of business in Aruba where frequent visitors can buy beach chairs, pool toys, etc. and store them for their next visit when they leave. One of them actually picked up and delivered for an extra charge. Don't remember the cost but I like the idea.