Parking for Reef Bay Hike

Travel discussion for St. John
pswlrw

Parking for Reef Bay Hike

Post by pswlrw »

On our trip this year we have a handful of college grads and they would like to do some hiking. If they want to do the Reef Bay Trail on their own (and hike back up) where would they park and where is the beginning of the trail? (Usually the only hiking I do on St. John is from the Beach Bar to Woodys :lol: ).
Paula

Caw954s

Re: Parking for Reef Bay Hike

Post by Caw954s »

Hello pswlrw, we did the Reef bay hike with the National Park Service and they delivered us to the trail head by taxi. But, we saw cars parked on both sides of the road close to the trail head which is located off of centerline road, approx. 4 miles out of Cruz bay heading toward coral bay and the trailhead is on the right. There is a small sign, but it's popular so when you see the cars, slow down and look to the right. It's a great hike...have fun!

http://www.stjohntour.com/ReefBaySugarMillRuins.html
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

There's a sign along Centerline Road...it's one of the brown NPS signs with white letters and it says "Reef Bay Trail"...having stayed in that area, I'd say that you can't count on cars being parked alongside the road, as there aren't always cars present...at least when we go in the off season that's the case.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
54b

Post by 54b »

When driving from Cruz Bay over to Coral Bay, I always know that I'm right about to pass the Reef Bay Trailhead because it's one of the first times you actually drive downhill after about 4 miles of uphill...and also where the trailhead is located, the road dips down and then goes right back up again right before you reach the Bordeaux Mountain overlook and Bordeaux Mtn Road.

As mentioned above, there isn't a formal parking area like what you find across the road from the short trail down to Jumbie Beach...but there's room for at least three and four jeeps across the street from the stone staircase that is the beginning of the trail and the brush is cleared out enough to get your car completely off the road (and feel good that it won't get hit by passing traffic).
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

Park alongside the road. There is a National Park Stone wall like you see anywhere on island that marks the entrance to the trail head. You can get an idea of where it is on Google Maps.
http://goo.gl/maps/LRdN7
RickG

Post by RickG »

Ah, for some real fun, they should start the hike at Little Lameshure Bay. You can hit all the fun stuff, and if you want to head up the hill, well hell, just head up that thing than back down and over.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

Thanks everyone!
Paula

SandyPants

Post by SandyPants »

Here is my evil plan. We (oldsters) are traveling with a group of young bucks and buck-ettes. We will have two cars. We (oldsters) park on Centerline and hike down, the youngsters park at Lameshur and hike up. We meet and trade keys on the way, eventually taking each others jeeps back to the villa. Sure, we could meet them at Lameshur and they could just drive us back to our jeep, but where would be the fun in that?
54b

Post by 54b »

RickG wrote:Ah, for some real fun, they should start the hike at Little Lameshure Bay. You can hit all the fun stuff, and if you want to head up the hill, well hell, just head up that thing than back down and over.
Oh it's "real fun" all right...allow me to elaborate with a cautionary tale hiking through the valley of the foreshadow of hubris...

http://becauseitsnotthere.wordpress.com ... dier-crab/

PSW, your college grads will have a great time, but I would definitely encourage them to take plenty of water and maybe a few snacks...real easy to run out of fuel hiking in the humidity.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow