No AC (specifically Ixora or Ajax Peak area) in the summer?

Travel discussion for St. John
lark22

No AC (specifically Ixora or Ajax Peak area) in the summer?

Post by lark22 »

Hi all! We're considering a summer trip and have been looking at Ixora; however, it doesn't have AC.

I've only been to STJ in the winter (usually November/Dec/Jan & one March trip), so I have no idea what summer is like. Has anyone stayed at Ixora or on Ajax Peak without AC in July or August? Is it doable?? I'd love some input!

Pia

Re: No AC (specifically Ixora or Ajax Peak area) in the summ

Post by Pia »

Personally I 100% need a/c at that time of year - actually I like it year round :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Not Ixora, but we stayed in Creolla on Ajax Peak in July 2009. There was a constant breeze on our deck and decent air circulation in the main room. It's surprising how much it cools down on the mountain at night even in July - into the high '70's, I would estimate. It was cool enough to use the hot tub every night. We put a standing fan at the foot of our bed, and that kept us completely comfortable for sleeping.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

We stayed on Ajax Peak in November 2009 (a villa called Tree Tops that I don't think is still a rental or at least in that name). Definitely did not need AC. In fact I thought it was cold at times (like sitting on deck for cocktails). Can't speak to the summer months, but have stayed in other locations in November and Ajax was by far the coolest.
lark22

Post by lark22 »

Thanks for the input so far -- very helpful!

I'm pretty sure I could deal with the lack of AC, but since my mother-in-law will be coming along, I want to gather as much info as I can before we make the decision... :?
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

Spent last June on Mamey Peak and we'll be there again in June this year. Nice and breezy. Never turned on the AC. I hate AC on St John because you miss the breezes, sounds and smells.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
CBama

Post by CBama »

we definitely needed air in bedrooms in June. but it was in the nineties that week. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

When we rented on Ajax Peak in late June a few years ago we had bedroom a/c but the house was just ridden with bugs. It had screens but it was an older house and apparently not well sealed and the bugs got in somehow. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been if we'd had the windows open in the bedrooms (since noseeums fit through the screens).
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Nanque

Post by Nanque »

Just to clarify for Laura T, Treetops is still on the rental market, with Private Homes for Private Vacations. It is indeed cool at night with the breezes, however it is located on Bordeaux not Ajax. We come to St. John 4 times a year and never used air conditioning at night. We have added it to the master bedroom and my husband used it once, for an afternoon nap.