How to prevent/reduce sand flea bites in kids

Travel discussion for St. John
SusieQT

How to prevent/reduce sand flea bites in kids

Post by SusieQT »

We were in St John last Christmas & will return again next March! Yea!

Our 11 year old loves to sit & play in the sand & she was eaten alive.

Is there anything to put on her skin to reduce the number of bites? Avoiding the beach, not sitting in the sand, etc are not realistic. She just suffers through it!
toes in the sand

Re: How to prevent/reduce sand flea bites in kids

Post by toes in the sand »

Find a stretch of sand that is not as heavily populated by sand fleas would be my first suggestion. Dry, very sunny areas seem to be less prone to infestation. You could try a fogger before she sits down. At the villa patio we use an OFF mosquito coil, I don't know how well that would work on sand fleas. She could wear light, loose fitting clothes, this works for us but we don't sit IN the sand. Of course DEET products are available but using that on an 11 year old is something I would use as a last resort.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
eala

Post by eala »

I tell everyone about this product we use called Scrubs Sun Skeeter. It's a wipe that contains deet but we're not saturating our skin with it. It seems to be just enough to be effective for 4-8 hours and after lightly coating exposed areas we stick the used wipe in our pockets, hat band, or edge of the picnic table/tent and it continues to work, even on sand fleas. It also has 25 spf so it's multi purpose (we put stronger stuff on our faces). It's not a liquid so we can fly with it and stores & packs great in our bags. We use it on vacations, when working outside, and in our backyard. I get it in bulk for around 50 cents per application. I'm forever passing them out to family, friends, coworkers, and customers.
Don't sweat the small stuff!
ncsusan

Post by ncsusan »

Avon Skin-So-Soft worked well last time we were on St. John. Two of my kids used it and had no bites at all. The third said he didnt want to use because it smelled "too girly". The next day he had bites all over his legs, he used it the rest of the week without complaint!!
ccinhbg

Post by ccinhbg »

We have also used Skin So Soft and found it to be very effective.
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

ccinhbg wrote:We have also used Skin So Soft and found it to be very effective.
ditto :)
SusieQT

Post by SusieQT »

With the Skin So Soft, do you put on sunscreen & top with SOS?
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

SusieQT wrote:With the Skin So Soft, do you put on sunscreen & top with SOS?
I buy the SsoS that has sunscreen in it, then I just use my spray sunscreen over it if I need more sun protection
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Are you talking about noseeums?

Staying away from the beaches in the late afternoon/evening is a way to avoid noseeum bites.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

West Indies Itch Relief, it's in a blue spray bottle and costs around $7.00, all natural ingredients made on St. Thomas. They also make an insect repellent. My brother is highly sensitive to no-seeums and even made a trip to the clinic year before last for a steroid shot and prescription. This past December we were at Concordia for dinner and needed some spray and they had this there. WOW, INSTANT relief and my brother bought some and used it the rest of the trip and we all swear by it now!!! We bought ours at the shops in front of Skinny's but saw it just about everywhere on island and it REALLY does work!
1975andreas

Post by 1975andreas »

Hi,

I don't know if this is off topic but you can find out a lot about flea bites at fleabitesinfo.com.

Cheers