What's your STJ frequency?

Travel discussion for St. John
lark22

What's your STJ frequency?

Post by lark22 »

After 7 years of visiting annually, we skipped this winter's visit to STJ (due to a varied and fairly dull collection of factors). And now I'm finding that the withdrawal is kicking in pretty hard here in the last few weeks of winter!

I was wondering about the rest of the forum family: How often do you visit? Do you have a "rule"? A goal? How much time elapses before you desperately need to be back (other than 'two minutes after boarding the ferry to leave')?

8)
ski2play

Re: What's your STJ frequency?

Post by ski2play »

Annually at minimum, twice a year if lucky. And you are so right............need kicks in when we are standing on the ferry dock waiting to leave.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Well Lark, we try to go every spring/summer. We had to skip '12 and missed it. We go to go to Australia instead. We learned to accept the choice we made. :wink: We started this cycle in '07 when we went to STT. In '08 we started going to STJ and have been going back ever since.

We would like to escape the winter weather, but we haven't done so yet. We like the lower prices and smaller crowds we find in May/June/July.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

In a perfect world, I would like to go each winter. I have only been to St. John three times, but I am definitely hooked. We are heading back in May, and I am curious how we will feel about returning after that. So many people return year after year. Only time will tell whether or not we will join that elite group of forumites. :)
Jenn, News of St. John
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Because one of my jobs is at a Ski Resort, we try to get away just before Christmas each year. Our normal stay is about 12 days, and always encompasses DH's birthday. For anyone who has a birthday just before Christmas, you know how difficult it is to make it special. It goes without saying that being on STJ for your birthday is special! :P :P :P
In addition to our December trips, I've been once in May with some girlfriends (it rained... a lot) and also in March for one of my big birthdays. Once a year will have to do, until I win the lottery!
loria

Post by loria »

we are kind of feast or famine types-- lately (thankfully) more feast...though we missed last year sort of because we took a family trip to India (no complaints) and then i took another trip elsewhere..(again no complaints) usually we try to get there once with the kids and once on our own...but this year will probably be one trip...unless i decide to do a solo trip this summer....but we like going other places too-- so it gets complicated-- I love st john but also love visiting other places
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

We've been visiting St. John annually for the past 11 years.

Last year we went twice for the first time. Once we did that, it's pretty hard to go back to our normal "once a year" routine... though we were aware of this risk (!) before making the second trip last year.

We struggled initially but gave up things here and there and, in the end, have been able to plan two vacations on St. John this year also. Both are in off-season (we've never been to S. John in high-season), and one of the trips is in August when many accommodations are most affordable, which really helps.

St. John is addictive... and it's an addiction we choose to honor and enjoy as much as we can.
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Pickle said it all, STJ is addictive. I have visited 5 times since March 2010, 3 of them crammed into the past 8 months. I have nothing in the pipeline at the moment. I have to stop being so selfish and consider others feelings :? when planning vacation. I don't know what we are doing this summer although I'm sure could come up with something :wink:
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

I have traveled to St John every June or July for the past eleven years. The first years with my hubby, then with kids and their various boyfriends and girlfriends and now with hubby unable to travel .... all by myself. Yup I'm an addict.
augie

Post by augie »

1st trip - September 2007 - 7 days.
2nd - October/November 2008 - 10 days
3rd - October/November 2009 - 10 days
4th - July 2010 - 7 days - first trip with our son Jason
5th - October 2010 - 11 days
6th - March 2011 - 6 days - Jason's spring break - shortened by American Airlines
7th - October 2011 - 14 days
8th - June 2012 - 12 days - Leslie's birthday trip with Shane & Jason!
9th - October/November 2012 - 12 days
10th - February 2013 - 7 days - 8 Tuff Miles!

The next one may be for a looonnnggg time! :twisted:
Come see us!
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

We've only been once, but we're hooked :D... so we will start going annually. I have an elderly father who summers in Maine (where I grew up) and winters in Florida...so we go to both ME and FL pretty often...both states are beautiful in their own way and we love them too, but STJ is a get away from it all kind of place, we love it.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

Ditto Augie's post! glad he can keep the details straight!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We've gone annually in August (because of my job) for the past 4 years....this August is trip #5. We hope to go (at least) once annually forever! I couldn't imagine going more than a year without a trip to STJ.
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

We have been going ever other year. This month will be our second spring break with the kids and hoosiermommy and myself have been once in November and once in December. We wouldn't mind going more frequently but there are so many more places we want to see. We think we are in a good balance right now with our frequency to St. John and our trips to other places to provide a bit more adventure.
Beth Cruz

Post by Beth Cruz »

2 weeks in the spring and 3 in the fall. This is year 46 for one of us and 45 for both.