$35 Million house in the USVI??

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

$35 Million house in the USVI??

Post by Exit Zero »

This was posted on the Wall St. Journal website:
" Pirates of the Caribbean: $35 Million, Treasure Chests Negotiable

A pirate-themed villa on the island of St. Thomas has listed for $35 million.

The 15,000-square-foot home with six bedrooms and eight bathrooms is located in the Preserve at Botany Bay, a 397-acre residential neighborhood on the western tip of the island. Named Whydah, after the 1700s ship of pirate "Black Sam" Bellamy, the home took four years to build and was finished earlier this month.

Listing agent Lee Steiner says the owner, who works in the finance industry, is a pirate enthusiast who designed the home as a place for "a successful retired pirate surrounded by his spoils." Authentic treasure chests, cannons and guns from actual pirate ships, along with nautical bunk beds, are displayed throughout the home. Mr. Steiner says the pirate furnishings and décor aren't included in the asking price, but are negotiable.

Built for more than $1,000 a square foot, according to Mr. Steiner, the home has a video arcade, two master suites and Carrara marble showers. The property also has a caretaker cottage with a four-car garage, an infinity-edge pool with a mosaic showing a scene of turtles, fish and mermaids, helipad access and private beach access."

Who knew St Thomas had a house that someone thinks is worth $35 Million Dollars?? + [ furnishings and decor negotiable]
This is on one of a few hundred lots in the subdivision of Botany Bay estate -
Teresa_Rae

Re: $35 Million house in the USVI??

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Here's the listing so you can see pictures:
http://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales ... 802/photos

This is reminiscent of Presidio Del Mar going on the market for $32 million a few years ago.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Nice place. We almost bought this villa, but the place was a little to small. :lol:
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

Jumper wrote:Nice place. We almost bought this villa, but the place was a little to small. :lol:
I was writting out the check when I realized it was on STT instead of STJ...dang it...just my luck... :lol:
[/url]
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Money can't buy taste. That is a confusing mess. Gorilla statue? Did they have gorillas on pirate ships?
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

DonnaM wrote:Money can't buy taste. That is a confusing mess. Gorilla statue? Did they have gorillas on pirate ships?
:?

I agree and if I had that kind of money to own something like this... :wink:
I would add some "class" to this "mess". I'd chuck the ape in the ocean for the fish to enjoy... add a few bean bags, some great concert postersand velvet paintings, some tiki torches on the patio, maybe a few nets around the beds, a couple of kegs in the bar area and make this "mess" into a showpiece! :P :lol: :D

Hey as long as I'm dreaming.. I think it would be perfect for our retirement home..although with 15 grandchildren and one on the way... I'm not sure if this would be big enough...LOL :lol:

Lets face it... the place is BEAUTIFUL...and Id be happy to just visit here for a few days...ape and all.
BetsyV

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I wonder if the canon is operational?
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I don't care for STT at all, but man, that house is really pretty. I like that it is also in a setting away from other houses, etc. Still wouldn't buy on STT but it is pretty..
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Wow that is a lot of house. I wonder how much it will actually sell for. My guess: $18 million, in about two years.

I will say that I like the "nursery room" in the photos on the Sotheby's site. Not necessarily the decor, but the idea of it with the wall of stackable beds and the row of cribs that has enough space to switch out for a row of twin beds. You can pile all the grandkids into one space. I would have loved that when I was a kid--bunking with all my cousins etc. Of course we probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep but that's the fun of it.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
betsyv

Post by betsyv »

liamsaunt wrote:Wow that is a lot of house. I wonder how much it will actually sell for. My guess: $18 million, in about two years.

I will say that I like the "nursery room" in the photos on the Sotheby's site. Not necessarily the decor, but the idea of it with the wall of stackable beds and the row of cribs that has enough space to switch out for a row of twin beds. You can pile all the grandkids into one space. I would have loved that when I was a kid--bunking with all my cousins etc. Of course we probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep but that's the fun of it.
I know my grand kids would be in heaven with a room like that..
BetsyV

toni

Post by toni »

Wow, don't you wonder why someone would build something so "personalised" only to sell it as soon as it's completed? Or maybe I'm missing the point and the intent all along was to sell it.
Sure looks pretty.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

liamsaunt wrote:Wow that is a lot of house. I wonder how much it will actually sell for. My guess: $18 million, in about two years.

I really like that bunk set up and I have seen very similar designs in Architectural Digest and Coastal Living. I do, however, question the wisdom of having infants sleeping in the same room as older kids solely due to the noise factor. I remember how my cousins and I carried on as little kids during family trips to my grandfather's hunting lodge (common sleeping loft). I doubt we slept 3 hours a night with all the bedtime horseplay and laughing.

Also, whats up with those plastic bar stools? At first I thought they were cira 1980 plastic highchairs.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

I was thrown by the bar stools too. They kind of look like a boat seat?
The sitting area with the red cushions is gorgeous...Could get used to that vew :D
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

stjchica wrote:I was thrown by the bar stools too. They kind of look like a boat seat?
The sitting area with the red cushions is gorgeous...Could get used to that vew :D
The forum can buy and we would have a new TV show Real Housewife of St Thomas, filmed at the house. Each week a new set of forum wife's will be filmed (hushand to). The show would pay airfare and mortgage. And we get free vacations :wink:
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

PA Girl wrote:
I really like that bunk set up and I have seen very similar designs in Architectural Digest and Coastal Living. I do, however, question the wisdom of having infants sleeping in the same room as older kids solely due to the noise factor. I remember how my cousins and I carried on as little kids during family trips to my grandfather's hunting lodge (common sleeping loft). I doubt we slept 3 hours a night with all the bedtime horseplay and laughing.
As the mom of an almost 3 year old and another one on the way, I thought the exact same thing. I wouldn't even want to put two crib age kids in the same room together, let alone in a room with a bunch of older kids. Well rested children, especially when they are babies/toddlers, are of utmost importance. A baby/toddler who was crabby due to lack of sleep could completely ruin a vacation. I suppose the villa is large enough that you can just move the cribs to other rooms though...but only if the doorways are wide enough to fit a crib through them. Full-sized cribs can't fit through standard sized doors without being disassembled. Ah, rich people problems. :lol:
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain