Part II: Rain, rain go away and nekkidness!

Travel discussion for St. John
lavender

Part II: Rain, rain go away and nekkidness!

Post by lavender »

April 20th

After waking up sat on deck enjoying view - it was very overcast but still beautiful - had tea and planned day. Fred ran (he's an exercise nut and an Ironman athlete!) into town and on his way back through town he picked up our box of "liquid" stuff we had mailed to Connections. It had made it just fine. Had a good breakfast on patio at Estate Lindholm. Nice selection of everything you need for a basic, filling breakfast - cereals, juices, coffees, teas, fruits, bagels, muffins, English muffins, pastries, hard boiled eggs etc. It was very adequate and very pleasant eating on the patio. We then packed up our beach bag and hiked from Estate Lindholm down to Solomon beach. It was kind of steep in spots but overall not a bad hike and only took about 20 mins. Fred had picked up our lunch at Deli Grotto on one of his morning jaunts and we parked ourselves in the shade with in order to enjoy the day. Solomon is a gorgeous beach that is for sure. As we arrived on the beach the first person we see is "Mr. Naked Dude" strolling into the water. Following him was as my husband called her "The two legged hairy bush monster" - naked as heck. It really is true what they say - the people who could go naked don't and the people that shouldn't ever go naked do!! I just don't get it - but different strokes for different folks!! We did get a good laugh out of it. Swam and sunned then had our delicious lunches from Deli Grotto - Estate Lindholm provides ice chests and chairs so we were all set with a nice comfy seat and a nice cold lunch! We headed back up the trail about 3:30 or so and although it was hot on the way back up it wasn't too bad. When we got back to EL we swam and had a nice cold drink from their honor bar. I thought that was a nice feature - you could have whatever you wanted for beverages and just put a note in a box indicating what you had. They then put it on your bill to pay at the end. After our swim and beverage, we read on our balcony awhile and then headed to town. We walked down the hill and walked right into Morgan Mangoes where we had great drinks and a great meal. I had a citrus chicken dish and Fred had a very large vegetarian platter - both were excellent and our service was very good as well. We walked around Mongoose Junction for a bit then took a cab back up the hill. In bed early!

Sat April 21st

Again it rained really, really hard in the night and we woke up again to very overcast skies. Fred ran in and around town for his exercise and then was back for out breakfast on the patio and the planning of our day! It was very stormy and overcast and we were debating what to do. Decided to head to Cinnamon as that way we wouldn't have to worry about taking our lunch with us. Caught a cab quickly and headed out. We arrived and it was still very cloudy and the seas were very rough. Hung out there till we got rained on - then headed to the restaurant there to eat. Had a so-so lunch. It is never too great there and we decided we probably wouldn't bother eating there on our next trip to St John. It is fairly convenient and that is about it. After lunch we headed back to right side of beach and much to my husband's amusement there was a young woman with no top on. I guess we attract the nekkid people! She was very fit and attractive and with a nice looking guy. Well they walked up and down the beach - then she made a big show of putting her top back on and then they about 15 feet directly in front of us by the water and to say their behavior was suggestive was putting it mildly. I seriously thought they were going to have sex right there on the beach!!!! It was all very amusing and gave us something to laugh about yet again!!! Headed back to EL around 5ish and went to honor bar for a cold drink and hung out by pool. Met Sue from MA and her hubby and chatted with them for a bit - lovely couple. Walked into town again and milled around for a bit before deciding to have a drink at the Beach Bar while we "decided" where to have dinner. Well one thing led to another and hours later we were still there drinking, socializing and relaxing. At one point we ordered an appetizer, then in between many drinks had real food and abandoned all other plans of going elsewhere. It is just SO relaxing and scenic there. We met a couple from Alabama there and just generally enjoyed the comings and goings. While we were there it rained yet again and really hard too. All of the people on the water side of the bar had to move further in - it actually got cold there (I know- hard to believe!). I had on a tee shirt and shorts and bought a long sleeved Beach Bar tee shirt to layer on (which I love by the way). Headed home around 10PM after way too many cocktails!

Sun Apr 22

Up early just enjoying the view from the balcony - nice mostly sunny day. Some thin scattered clouds but overall nice SUNNY weather and no threatening clouds! Yea!!! After breakfast we headed out to Trunk Bay with another lunch from Deli Grotto. Got there around 10:30 - beautiful sunshine, big big surf. Spent the whole day there - swam and snorkeled although the snorkeling wasn't good due to the high surf. Had a nice spot with some shade from the Seagrape trees and as much as I put suntan lotion on I of course got burned on the tops of my feet. Left around 5PM with a storm starting to move in - got back to EL to buckets of rain AGAIN! Saw SuefromMA and her hubby as they had dinner reservations at Asolare and got rained out by the torrential downpour which I am sure was disappointing. Couldn't figure out where to go for dinner. Decided on Café Roma - it was closed, then Banana Deck - it was closed. Maybe call for Chinese? Called the China Shack and a very rude person took our order and for two entrees, a soup and delivery it was going to be $58.00. Now we are not cheap but that seemed a little ridiculous. They charge five bucks for delivery which was fine but then they charge a 15% gratuity on top of that. And I wanted vegetable fried rice and they wouldn't substitute the white rice for that and so all told they said it would be 58bucks. We said forget it - hubby finally decided to head into town and he got us a pizza which we enjoyed in our room. Watched Amazing Race and headed to bed. Tomorrow we are on our way to Cooper Island!
suzi

Post by suzi »

Lav- Thoroughly enjoying your report!!!! What did the other people on Cinnamon Beach do when the nekkid lady walked up and down the beach???
Can't wait to hear what you thought of Cooper. We loved it, altho you better like their restaurant, since that is the ONLY place to eat!
Bug

Post by Bug »

You saw 2 nekkid people and 1 topless person on the beaches on STJ????? I have never seen anyone do this there. Believe me, I haven't ~ I would join them if I did. OK, maybe not nekkid but topless. I hate tan lines :lol:
lavender

Post by lavender »

It was really quite odd to see the naked couple and then the topless woman. Especially at Cinnamon. I guess at Solomon I wasn't too surprised but at Cinnamon I was. It was pretty busy that day with families, couples, young and old. We did see one direct reaction to the topless woman. As she started to put her top back on a group of four twenty something men in the water near them started booing! That was kind of funny - I don't think she even noticed!
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Thanks for the report.
The topless and naked people surprise me too!
Bug- I won't be joining you in your topless adventures during our Six on the beach trip! :shock:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I never get to see the nekidness I guess I'm jst lucky
Great report
obsessedmuch

Post by obsessedmuch »

Hmmm... does the standard line "maybe they're from Europe" work here? :)

Enjoying your reports!
Bug

Post by Bug »

I would have to agree with obsessedmuch in that they probably were European. It's just a different culture. The first time I went to St. Maarteen, I almost fell over when I saw the beaches :shock: But it's really just "norm" to them.

Sea-Nile ~ don't worry, I was just kidding!!!!

XOXO
Bug
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Last year we saw a group of young ladies topless on Francis, and they definitely were not European. They were close enough to us that we could hear their voices, and they had southern accents. I thought it was kind of odd, that they were topless, actually, since there were a decent number of families on the beach that day. To each his own, I guess, at least until the park ranger shows up.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
BabaAus

Post by BabaAus »

If you've never been nekkid at the beach (or at hot springs in the Pacific Northwest), you don't know what you're missing! Many years ago, I "stumbled" on to a clothing-optional beach on Marth's Vineyard and figured that the best way to blend in was to "make like the locals". There's nothing quite like it.

Lighten up, you guys!!!
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Bollicine

ok, I'm from Europe, so what?

Post by Bollicine »

ok, I'm from Europe, so what?
As a matter of fact that's a thing I can't understand completely
In the US you just go around naked at the beach, nor take off your top.
But it sounds a little different at the USVI
Is there a rule or is are people who decide for themselves?

DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Bug

Post by Bug »

Hi Bollicine:

In the US, if you bare your body in public, you can get ticketed/arrested for public indecency. It is not allowed with the exception of a couple of places.

This is the same on STJ. Because it's a US Island the same rules apply. I know a couple of people that told me they actually did get ticketed on the STJ beaches.

The first time I ever experienced a clothing optional beach was on St. Maarten. Because of the way I was raised, this was a shock to me. But, like they say "when in Rome, do as the Romans", I did go topless. What an experience! At first I was very embarrassed but after a little time I realized that no one was looking at me, no one cared. I was watching little children running around nekked playing with one another without a thought in their head about their bodies. It was a joy to see the sexual aspect taken away. I was actually jealous of the freedom your afford yourselves.

Most people in the US (I am not trying to sterotype - this includes me) believe that they are suppose to have the supermodel body. If they don't, they feel they are less than perfect. After spending a little time in the European culture, it was quite nice to know that bodies come in all sizes and shapes and you don't have to feel bad about that. We are who we are and there is nothing to be ashamed of.

With all that said, I will not be running around the beaches nekked anytime soon. But I wish I had the mind set to do so :wink:

XOXO
Bug
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

That is sooo true and tooo funny, people who should NOT jump nekkid, always do! Those who look much better with clothes on, seem to shed them at every oppotunity! LOL.

I know, I know, I've heard the sayings before.....we were born that way, so we should feel comfortable....etc, etc. But I'll tell you one thing, I may have been born nekked, but I was a whole lot cuter then!

Reminds me of that old joke:

Do you know what the best form of birth control is for people over 40? Nudity...budda-bing!

-Bert - Laughing Out Loud!!
The liver is evil, it must be punished!