Tonight's House Hunters International Features St John

Travel discussion for St. John
Teresa_Rae

Re: Tonight's House Hunters International Features St John

Post by Teresa_Rae »

There are monkeys on STT!?!
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Great thread. I didn't get to see the episode but after reading this blog, I will be watching for it to pop up on the HGTV website.

I'm still giggling at some of the comments. :lol:
RonUSVI

Post by RonUSVI »

Teresa_Rae wrote:There are monkeys on STT!?!
Sorry, I thought I was clear when I said it. Many years ago, late 60s, there was a guy selling squirrel monkeys on the waterfront. One day they escaped. Must have been at least 10 of them. I watched him from my porch chase them around the roof tops down town. One bit him and they all got away. A year or two later, while I was doing some part time photography work for the Daily News, whose office was on backstreet, I heard some funny noises in the tree out back. I looked up and to my surprise I saw monkeys having quite a time jumping around in the tree. Saw they were enjoying their escape. Several years later I have heard that they made it to Bordeaux and Botany Bay and are still around. Guess they settled. Will have to check with anyone who may have seen them lately and maybe get a picture.
RL 8)
kirk

Post by kirk »

Monkeys, Joe's dinner....Yummmy :D
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Pia wrote:Sorry to burst most bubbles but here goes .... House Hunters only film once you OWN your property - ie: you have visited, looked at homes, submitted an offer, negotiated, come to an agreement and closed on your property and only then will they come and film.
As the selling Realtor you have to set up three properties to be filmed one of which is the property that the couple have purchased - sometimes as the Realtor you cannot find the best fit because the owner of the other homes dont want to be shown on house hunters international knowing that that would probably be some negative feedback and also they will (obviously) not make the sale
Pia
+1 Pia
My wife had a listing here in Saginaw that was used for HH. It was one of the staged houses as the couple had already purchased the 'Pick' house. There's nothing real about reality TV...in fact I find most of it disingenious and misleading...but I keep telling myself it's for entertainment purposes only...lol
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Thank you, RonUSVI. I could swear I can remember a picture of a monkey from a few years back. Don't remember if it was STT or STJ. Maybe in The Tradewinds or something. I can clearly see the picture in my head, but don't remember the article or headline. At least I know I'm not going crazy.
Tickerless :(
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Thanks for the interesting background info Ron :)
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
News of St. John

Post by News of St. John »

So I just re-watched the House Hunters episode and it is even more ridiculous the second time around! It really bugs me that this man is the director of sales at Grande Bay. Half of the episode is just a shameless plug. I also realized that the used the same shots several times throughout the program, and in one instance claimed it was St. Thomas but later on in the show it was St. John. But I did giggle again at the monkey. :)

However, seeing that I will be on island in less than three weeks (yay!!), the episode did get me pretty excited!
Jenn, News of St. John
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Wish I had this one recorded. I didn't get to see it. :(

I watch HGTV so frequently hoping to catch any episode of the Caribbean.

I'm sure it'll be a replay soon. Can't wait to see it!
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

After reading all of this, now I regret spending the half hour to watch that show!

My biggest problem with the episode was the "Realtor" who supposedly listened to his client's needs (2 DOGS and a child) then tries to slam them into a one-bedroom condo. Are you serious? I can't believe Grande Bay even went along with that. (Just imagine what might be stuffed into a 2 bedroom unit!!)
kirk

Post by kirk »

The buyer works for Grand Bay.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Jeff&Cindy - as Kirk mentioned the buyer works for Grande Bay so that was (I believe) "arranged" as possibly an ad for Grande Bay. Being a Realtor myself on a small island we all know each other and John is a great Realtor and no way would that have been his suggestion after listening to the buyers needs.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Puddlejumper

Post by Puddlejumper »

@ Kirk. Fried monkey taste like chicken?